What's new

Finally: The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989) Special Editions are coming in Fall of 2005! (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I am willing to boycot whatever "Special Edition" Fox releases in support of one approved by and made with the contributions of David Cronenberg
Me, too. I'm not buying any Fly disc until I'm fairly certain it's been presented in a manner agreeable to Cronenberg.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was holding out for an SE, but I guess I'll grab the double feature instead.

I'm surprised fox is doing this, after the Alien Quad, they seemed like a studio really pumped to work with the film makers. It always surprises me when a studio well turn down a film maker willing to give his time to a project. They have to see that having a "Director Approved" stamp on the cover is a more valuable marketing tool than "Features A Sneak Peak Of ...."
:thumbsdown:

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to get this, but, having read the interview with Cronenberg, I will now pass (or boycott). I want to see the film as he intended it, plus have his commentary (his commentaries are always enlightening).

Greg K

Second Unit
I emailed Noel Gross, who conducted the interview in question. Here's the reply:

My Cronenberg chat was on May 5th and, yes, he was referring to Fox's current double-feature disc. He made it clear he'd only heard "rumors" of a special edition and that any such release wouldn't meet his approval or garner his commentary without a fresh transfer. If I've got David's digits, you can bet Fox does as well, so continue to "bring pressure to bear" as he suggests.

This means the door is still open for Cronenberg to participate in the rumored release! The issue of Fox declining to let Cronenberg supervise the transfer refers to the Fly/Fly II double feature that came out in 2000, as I suspected. Very good news!!!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Greg:

It's still not exactly good news, if Fox has been indicating they might release an S.E. of THE FLY by year's end, and it's already well into May and David Cronenberg hasn't even been contacted or consulted on it. I sincerely hope they (Fox) get their shit together and give Mr. Cronenberg a call to get him intimately involved.

Vincent

Greg K

Second Unit
But this news at least leaves the door *open* for his involvement, and does away with the initial assessment that this transfer issue was directly connected with the rumored release.

This means there's still a chance, still *hope* of Cronenberg involvement. Why would Fox bother to bang out an SE without his approval? That would waste everyone's time. The fact that Cronenberg declined to particpate the first time around is probably why Fox released the bare-bones Fly/Fly II double feature instead of a Cronenberg-less SE. Chances are, they're hoping to involve him at some point.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My best friend just bought the "Double Feature" DVD. Needless to say, I was dismayed, and told him so, and told him why.

Damn, why...Why...WHY do my friends buy DVDs without consulting me first?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The people who don't own the double feature DVD's aren't fans, no need to belittle the fans. At $4 per movie, which you could have been enjoying for years, you choose to not watch them on DVD at all. And you can walk until you can afford to drive in an Enzo. Fine, a totally valid attitude, but not necessarily practical.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I pciked up the double DVD cause I love the movie and the quality is OK.

However, I am pinning for the 2 disc SE and if there's no Cronenberg involvement, there's no sale. I'll happily stick with double feature.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

I just wet myself. :)
I hope to see something along the lines of FIGHT CLUB and the rest of Foxs recent 2 disc offerings. I bought the double feature Fly/Fly II, and have ony watched it once... Ive been waiting for the proper presentation this film deserves.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am glad to see some response about what david cronenberg said with that interview at dvdtalk.com

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
It pleases me to see the recent activity in this thread. Before I ever even saw Cronenberg's Fly, I felt a mystical connection to it. My other fav films and hoobies (like Staw Wars, Star Trek, etc.) have large fanbases and I know they're in good hands, so I chose to champion this film.

And not to sound rude, but I'm not in the know on this--who is this David Prior, and why is everyone wanting him to work on this release? Is he some DVD bigwig producer or something? Cause that would be cool.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is he some DVD bigwig producer or something? Cause that would be cool.
Yes he is. He is most noted for doing the "Fight Club" DVD which is still regarded as one of the best special editions ever released. He has also recently done the "Panic Room" 3-disc special edition. If he is doing "The Fly" then we can surely expect good things.

Greg K

Second Unit
Sweeeet.

That cryptic message implies that:

A. Our fears about a Cronenberg-less SE may be unfounded.

B. He's working on the SE himself.

C. He knows for sure that the SE is being worked on.

Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks