Finally started the HT. Now I'm not sure how to setup up my system.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KellyR, Jan 7, 2004.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Okay, I originally wanted to start out with a 5.1 system but I only had about $400 to spend on a reciever and speakers and it was much too little, so I decided to start with a decent 5.1 or 6.1 reciever and a pair of decent speakers. My friend who works at an electronics store got me a pair of Klipsch SB2 bookshelf speakers and a Pioneer VSX-D812K receiver for $400. For now, I figured that I could live with better stereo than my TV had to offer and later this year I would get a sub, surrounds, center, and rear channel.

After that lengthy introduction I suppose that I should get to my questions. Now that I have the speakers, I'm not sure how to set them up best for now (I know, bad English). As far as wriring goes, I bought 12 gauge wire from Home Depot (which, by the way, is now on clearance), and the speakers are set on about 30" high end tables on both sides of my tv. Should I run my speakers in plain stereo mode? Are there an better ways to run them? What connector to I put them in in the back (I assumed front R and L? The receiver gets it's inputs from optical signals from my Xbox and my DVD player. Will AVIA help and if so, which tests should I use? Any suggestions/ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

You are correct in that you should run your pair of speakers in 2-channel mode on your Pioneer and that your speaker wires should connect to the front L and R terminals of your receiver.
    Typically dedicated stands are better at providing a stable base for your speakers, but 30" end tables should suffice for now.

As for any other setup tidbits:

1) Try to position your speakers such that the drivers extend as far beyond the front of your TV as is physically and aesthetically possible as speakers need room to perform their best and having a large object (such as a TV) between them will hamper their sonics.

2) Try to set up your system as symmetrically as possible, with both speakers as equidistant from you (down to fractions of inches makes a difference!) so that you form an equilateral triangle. This includes if you turn the speakers or "toe-in" the speakers towards you, make sure they are both at the same angle.

Victor

3. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Kelly, it sounds like you're off to a good start. One other option might be to see if your receiver has a 'phantom' centre mode, which if I'm not mistaken, makes stereo speakers sound like there is a centre in between them. As for your next upgrades, don't skimp on the real centre when you get one, make sure it matches your Klipshes (or, thinking ahead, maybe some Klipsch towers). You can always skimp out on the temporary surrounds. I had a pair of $40 (cdn) speakers in back for a while and they did the job. This way you can get some kind of surround, and hold out till you can pick up some nice towers for your mains, then move the SB2's to the back (which is why I'd probably try to match my centre to those). Anyway, just my $0.02. Hope you enjoy it! Building up a new system is a lot of fun!

4. KellyR

KellyR Agent

Thanks for the help guys. Also, what about avia? other than calibrating my tv, will it make any difference to calibrate speakers for stereo?