What's new

Finally: Speed Racer - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Of course I got my complete series about 6 years ago (give or take) via that limited edition boxed set. :)

Steve_Klein

Agent
I have the original complete series boxset, and there were some video problems with most (but not all) of the episodes. Originally I thought they were just time compressed (for syndication I guessed) masters that incorrectly made their way onto the discs, but now I realize it might be a 3:2 pulldown issue. I don't have screencaps from the Speed Racer discs, but it's the same phenomenon as pictured in this post:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3391907-post25.html

The opening theme music in particular sounded sped up; I remember first noticing the speedup when the show was on Cartoon Network back in the '90s, which I attributed at the time to time compression. I even timed the CN episode with the same episode on laserdisc and it was, I think, about 30 seconds shorter -- enough to cause a noticable speedup I guess. I noticed the same thing on the DVDs and then noticed the "duplicate frame" issue when freeze framing.

Does anyone know if this has been corrected on any of the subsequent releases? I can live with the redone title graphics, but the audio speedup seems even more noticable with the rapid-fire dialogue of the show.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Well, that's what time compression does. It blends fields that otherwise wouldn't be, resulting in the problems with freeze-framing. I think your original assumption is correct.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If this is on for a good deal,. I'd blind buy it. I loved the movie, but never saw the series

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I never bought any of the individual sets but to anyone who has, do they include the original Japanese soundtrack or just English dubs only?

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I would have been happier if they were just spreading the episodes out over 6 discs rather than 5. I'm not really interested in the next generation stuff, since I'm not........................of the next generation

ElizabethV

Auditioning
I rented the DVD series (disc 2 anyway) and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed watching it. I will definitely pick this up in November (I know its out in two weeks, but I am waiting til November).

I loved the movie, too.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Does the original Japanese language track still exist? I thought I read somewhere that they were lost and when Speed Racer became popular in the US new Japanese dubs of the US versions were made, kind of like the Jimmy James autobiography "Macho Business Donkey Wrestler" but in reverse.

ElizabethV

Auditioning
None of the major retailers (well, the ones I have in my state anyway) have the series set listed in their ad this week.

And it claims there's closed captioning.......but does that guarantee subtitles are actually on the discs?

See, I've been renting the individual releases and I'll be buying this set come November and I really like having the caption/subtitles option.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

I've been trying to find reviews and or feedback on this new set. I am wondering if the transfer is any different from the past individual disc release.

From what I can see, most of the complaints from the 3 people who bought it at Amazon was that they hated the metal Mach 5 car case. There's one review that infers the transfers are the same.

I've recently bought the first 3 sets and have 2 more sets to go. So my dilemma is, do I get the new set, or finish the old sets. I am leaning to finishing the old sets as this new set only differs from the packaging into one set.

Look forward to hearing your comments!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Keith, that's the news I was looking for. I will indeed go and have a look at the Speed Racer forum and read the thread.

Appreciate the heads-up!

edit: I read the thread and I think that's enough to inform my decision. As you said, a repackaging of the last DVD sets. The only worth while extra is the History of Speed Racer and he said it was disappointing.

Thank you again Keith, or should I call you Racer X.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I decided to pass on this set after I seen how the damned set was packaged together. I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

I REFUSE TO BUY A COMPLETE SERIES DVD SET WHERE THE DVD'S ARE SLID INTO PAGES

Hello, Studios? Are you listening? Stop using this cheap *** packaging ... even at the 32.99 price that Best Buy had ... I passed on this set ... I will not buy one of these sets packaged in this matter, no matter what show they are.

ElizabethV

Auditioning
Just a repackaging? I was hoping that this set would have actual captioning (I rented the dvds and when I try to turn on captions/subtitles (sometimes I like to read the words on the screen) there is none available. The complete series link @ Amazon claims there's closed captioning....

And I can't rent Vol 5 (the only one I haven't watched) cause Blockbuster.com has a VERY LONG WAIT and Netflix doesn't have it avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks