Finally separate...But some question for the professionnals...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

First, not separate from my wife... But just install my new Silver RMB-1095 from Rotel, to my Yamaha RX-V3200, plus Paradigm Studio-40 all around + 2 Studio-cc, and ICBM. Got some question.

1) Should I plug the RMB-1095 directly into the wall outlet directly, or should I use my Monster HTS-2500 or HTS-800? All my other components are plug in the HTS-2500 (TV, DVD-player, CD-player, RX-V3200), and the RMB-1095 draw 800 watts (too much for 1 wall outlet??)!! And I have read somewhere that those powercords can limit the current send to the amp. I just fell timid not to protect my amp against ligthning...

2) Since I plug the Rotel, I got a "tension" hum in all the speakers. Only hear it when I'm at around 20 inches from the speakers. How can I solve this? How to found the source of it? What are the most common sources of hum with a pre/pro?

3) Why is it so loud!!! LOL. With the Yammie alone, my reference level was at -25db for films and -30 for DVD-audio on the volume. With the Rotel, I can't go over -35db for film and -40db dor DVD-audio, or else my ear are buzzing for 20 minutes!!!

Final note. Putting the ICBM between the pre and power amp is freakin awesome for bass!!! Wow, what a difference on everything I listen (the fixed crossover on Yamaha really sucks, know I now it...).

Thank you all for your answers. This forum is really useful and people are very helpful in here. Keep up the good work guys!!

BTW, I really love my new "toy". Paradigm and Rotel is almost a perfect match.

2. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

1) See if your insurance covers it. However, assuming you live in the US, your wall outlets are probably 120V 15A, which allows for 1800W. You should be able to comfortably plug all into one outlet and run at full volume. Note that the Rotel will only draw 800W at full volume, most of the time it'll take much less than that.

2) Not plugging stuff into the same outlet can cause this. I don't live in the US, so I'm not prepared to give any mains ground-related information. Others may suggest lifting ground at one end of the interconnects *or* the amp's power cord, but I'm not going to.

3) The gain (voltage multiplication) of any power amp stage is fixed and pretty arbitrary. The Rotel must have a slightly higher gain factor than the Yamaha's internal amps.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

4. Levesque

Thaks for the fast answers. Particularly the -10 db trick, will try it when I will get home tonight!!

So you think that I should not be afraid of lightning if it is plug directly in the wall outlet?

The HTS-2500 is plug in one outlet and the amp is in another one.

I just remember that the guy that installed my satellite dish put a ground on the splitter in-house. So maybe it is a ground loop between the outlet grounding and the dish grounding??

Keep up the answers coming. It is really helpful.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

You have two complicated subjects here: isolating a troublesome speaker hiss or hum which may be a “ground loop” or not, and adequate surge protection.
    (When you say : “The HTS-2500 is plug in one outlet and the amp is in another one” do you mean the SAME two-outlet wall plug plate, that is, on this ONE circuit?)
    I’ll just touch on the latter.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have read somewhere that amps perform better when plugged directly into the wall. Surge supressors etc perturb the AC sine wave into some sort of spikey sine wave that is detrimental to the output signal. Is that really true? Also I was told that most highpowered amps have protection circuits (soft start elements) to eliminate sudden overcurrent draw and these circuits also work to protect the amp in case of an over current rush during a spike. Does all this make sense? Any amp experts want to shed light on this? would help us all.

7. Levesque

My electrician just told me about "computer" plug or "orange" plug... Is it useful for my situation. He is talking about the neutral and the ground not instaled the same way on those plug...

Or else, he think the dedicated 20 amp circuit is another good alternative...

What do you think guys??

Thanx for the answers.

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Levesque,
    Go for a 20A dedicated circuit. This will give you 1920 watts of safe current capability, a better safety zone with the big Rotel 1095 if you decide to plug it in directly. Otherwise, you are limited to the 15amp rating that most surge protectors are designed.
    Here's a discussion from BruceK of Ontario: CLICK
    Take a pass on the $15 U.S. "orange" Hospital Grade outlet, it wont do anything special. Instead, have 15A Industrial or Commercial Grade outlets installed for $5-$6 U.S. each. They are sturdier than typical 99-cent builder cheapies and have better prong gripping.

9. Levesque

Thank you for the really informative link. Will refer often to it with my friend electrician.

I found something interesting, my Satellite dish is not grounded !! they cut the ground by mistake when finishing my basement. Is it dangerous to operate like this, with the satellite not grounded (electrician coming next week to fix it)??

10. Levesque

Got another "problem"... I really fell strange about this, but my wife is feeling the same. It's like the sound is not loud enough, and I fell the urge to crank the sound, but if I close the amp fast, then my ears (and wife ears) are buzzing and really painful... What's happening?? It seems not loud like the Yammie alone was, but ears are almost bleeding?? LOL I fell stupid explaining this. Can it be the bass, since I put the ICBM in, that is causing this "feeling"?? I've redone all the AVIA calibration since I put the amp in the system... so...

Thanx.

11. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Levesque, no problem with the Sat dish; good for checking on that ground. Probably thousands of systems are improperly installed without ground or static block in the first place, according to what I read online.

12. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Levesque,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember researching the RMB-1095 and is it not 5x200 watts RMS, all channels driven, 20-20 000Hz? In addition, I also seem to remember that even though it says 800 watts in the Rotel 2001 pamphlet, that it is actually 1200 watts. I would contact Rotel directly
    to clear this up.

David

13. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Lévesque,

15. Levesque

Thanks all!! You are always kind and useful.

I just tried a cheater plug, and the hiss is completely gone!! I've try unplugging everything, even the pre-amp, and I always have the hiss. Only the cheater plug solve the problem.

My problem is that it is very confusing to know if it is really dangerous to use this plug. On different sites, people are saying "bah used it for years, no prob, no danger"... others are saying "you will kill yourself"... So who's right??

BTW, I've never liked being a "cheater"...