Finally saw HDTV display at Sears.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it was the DishHD feed or the settings on the sets(believe me they varied greatly from brand to brand) or something else but, I was not bowled over by it. It was a pretty picture but I did not get the "looking through a window" effect from any of them. I know they were at sears and that none of them had been correctly adjusted but I expected more. I was quite suprised to see alot of macro blocking in the DishHD signal. Definitely not the religious experience I was expecting. Were my expectations too high?

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

HD picture quality varies quite a bit. Last night, I noticed that on CSI:Miami, there is small text around the names of the actors during the credits. On Crossing Jordan, I could clearly read the sherrif's name tag. But Everwood was kind of grainy with desaturated color.

//Ken

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I wouldn't go to Sears looking for a well-set up demonstration of HD. Go to a boutique, high-end store and check out its HD demos.

4. Cary G

Cary G Auditioning

Exactly. Sears, and probably all the major brick and mortar stores are not using component cables, if you are lucky, they are feeding signals with S-video. In all practicality, they are probably using RCA. You will not see much of a difference between all the different TV types with this kind of input. Just look behind the TVs and see what the input is.

I have seen displays where all the TVs are fed via coax, talking about not wanting to sell high end TVs.

5. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...but what about them Craftsman tools?!?[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Actually you HAVE to use component cables to transmit HD (or DVI/ieee). Shameless plug but if you have a Great Indoors nearby check them out. They have higher end stuff and are owned by Sears and yes we do use component video cables as well as progressive scan DVD players to demo stuff. [​IMG] I just noticed you're in Okemos. Nearest one to you is the one I work at in Novi. Come drop by some time and say hello.