What's new

Finally saw HDTV display at Sears. (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it was the DishHD feed or the settings on the sets(believe me they varied greatly from brand to brand) or something else but, I was not bowled over by it. It was a pretty picture but I did not get the "looking through a window" effect from any of them. I know they were at sears and that none of them had been correctly adjusted but I expected more. I was quite suprised to see alot of macro blocking in the DishHD signal. Definitely not the religious experience I was expecting. Were my expectations too high?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
HD picture quality varies quite a bit. Last night, I noticed that on CSI:Miami, there is small text around the names of the actors during the credits. On Crossing Jordan, I could clearly read the sherrif's name tag. But Everwood was kind of grainy with desaturated color.

//Ken

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't go to Sears looking for a well-set up demonstration of HD. Go to a boutique, high-end store and check out its HD demos.

Cary G

Auditioning
Exactly. Sears, and probably all the major brick and mortar stores are not using component cables, if you are lucky, they are feeding signals with S-video. In all practicality, they are probably using RCA. You will not see much of a difference between all the different TV types with this kind of input. Just look behind the TVs and see what the input is.

I have seen displays where all the TVs are fed via coax, talking about not wanting to sell high end TVs.

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
Actually you HAVE to use component cables to transmit HD (or DVI/ieee). Shameless plug but if you have a Great Indoors nearby check them out. They have higher end stuff and are owned by Sears and yes we do use component video cables as well as progressive scan DVD players to demo stuff. :) I just noticed you're in Okemos. Nearest one to you is the one I work at in Novi. Come drop by some time and say hello.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.