Finally pulled the trigger....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JerryMa, Mar 29, 2005.

1. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I posted last week that I was nearing the end of my speaker search and had narrowed my choices down to JBL E50s and NHT SB3s. On Friday I went through with the final listening session and decided on......JBL.[​IMG]

I brought 4 CDs but never made it past Led Zeppelin and Norah Jones. To my ears, the E50s maintained the slight edge I'd initially given them in the low end and the highs. Robert Plant's vocals sounded a little too nasal through the SB3s. The overall soundstage on Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" CD was fuller and more open through the E50s. On the SB3s, the bass was present but it was almost constricted. In the material that I used at J&R, the SB3s seemed to strain a little more with the highs, and knowing how my room acoustics are, I had to assume that the SB3s, despite being paired with my NAD, would struggle to sound their best there.

Other selling points of the E50s included the price and the fact that I could (and did) walk out of there with a full 5.0 package; E10s for surrounds and the EC25 center. I was going to go with the EC35 but its pretty big and decided that the 25 would be adequate for my room. The ability to place the E50s horizontally helped alot too; they're on top of a wall unit and fill my room with sound quite well. Once they're broken in they'll be sweet.

Before I put the grilles on, they looked quite imposing, almost too big for my apartment, but with the grilles on they look slightly bigger than my old Bose and blend in really well now.

I'm looking forward to pulling out all of those action/adventure DVDs I own and enjoying the wonder of surround sound!!

Thanks to all who provided their input during my search. I've been in and out of this forum reading posts as a lurker or asking questions through threads of my own for quite a while and found the information here very helpful. This forum is a great source of objective information on home theater and a place that I'll continue to visit.

2. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

I'm glad you came to your decision based on listening to the choices available. I listened to 4 brands of speakers before I went and bought my jbl e90s.

Best way to do it, listen and what ever sounds best go buy it.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Enjoy Jerry, I am happy with my JBL's as well.

I would reco rethinking the Ec35 tho, it really is a big step up from the 25.

Once again, enjoy.

4. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Another assimilated into the collective[​IMG]