Finally pulled the trigger on Panny PT53WX53!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoeRiley, Jun 22, 2003.

1. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

I picked it up for $1499 and it will be delivered on Tuesday... I can't wait!

So a big thanks to everyone who helped me out with questions (I had a few a couple months ago).... I'll post a little review after I watch a few movies on it. [​IMG]

Please tell me that I made a good choice. [​IMG]

2. Carey Briscuso

Carey Briscuso Auditioning

I just picked up a PT53WX52 last week for $900, and have been very happy with it! You're gonna like your panny. What improvments does the new model have over mine?

3. JoeRiley

Not too sure... Does yours have a DVI input? I wanted to try to get the older model, but were gone at BB and Bernies.

Maybe somebody else could fill us in on the differences.

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Wow!!! $900 for a 53" Panasonic HDTV. Is that new in box? If so thats a GREAT deal. Enjoy your DVDs and HDTV.

Earle

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Panasonic's were the first affordable HDTV's and its good to see the price has dropped that far.

I remember when the 47" cost just over $2K not to long ago.

6. JoeRiley

Are there any little tricks/hints I should know about setting up/using the tv?

I do know to turn down the contrast and start from there.... [​IMG]

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Put it in 'Cinema' mode, reduce Sharpness to 10 or less, disable SVM (it's in the menus) and turn Video NR 'ON' (which actually disables edge enhancement).

Then get a copy of AVIA and you're all set until you get it professionally calibrated [​IMG]

8. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

9. JoeRiley

Thanks JG! I never would have known to enable/disable those two settings. [​IMG]

I'm getting a new progressive scan dvd player later this week/early next week... and I plan to get the Avia disk at the same time. I used a cheap version of a calibration dvd that came with my current dvd player (bought a few years back) for now.

The picture is absolutely beautiful!!! I just watched the early chase scene in Star Wars Ep: 2, and was stunned. Can't wait to see how the progressive scan dvd player improves upon that. [​IMG]

--------
    ADDED:

JG, you're the man... turning off the edge enhancment is a MAJOR improvement... much more film-like. Thanks again!

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    JohnnyG,

That's the first time I heard that the Video NR disables EE on the Panny's. Are you sure about this??

FWIW, I did notice increased EE when turning off VNR, but I didn't realize this EE was added by the TV itself. I just assumed it merely revealed any EE on the source instead.

Also, I noticed that the Panny's VNR lowers output of certain higher video frequencies based on AVIA's various sweep patterns, including the parts of the sharpness pattern. I had assumed this effect was what reduced the EE.

_Man_

11. JoeRiley

How difficult is it to remove the protective screen?

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

13. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Here's my question: does the WX53 series include independent picture setting memory for each input? Or are these Panny sets still working on a single global setting for all inputs?

14. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

15. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I guess it's been a while since I looked at Panny sets--I think the last time I paid attention to them was back in the days of the WX49 series. Thanks for setting me straight.

16. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't know about the new wx53 series, but the older wx42/52 does not actually have true/complete input-based settings. Instead, they have the next best thing: picture-mode based settings w/ input-based picture modes. That is, each of the 3 picture modes, ie. Cinema, Standard and Vivid, has its own basic video settings (both user and service level), and each input can store its own picture mode. Other video filter/processing settings are more or less global.

_Man_

17. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yes, you're right. I wasn't as clear in my description of 'how' I have different settings for each input. Thanks for the clarification.

18. JoeRiley

Argghh....

There's a faint yellow-ish tinge on the far right side of the display that is only noticable on very light colors... I got the 5 year in-home waranty, but I'd like some info on what causes this so I can tell the technician exactly what the problem is when I have him here.

I have a sub-woofer placed about 2 feet away from the tv on that side... But I moved it as far as 5 feet away with no change in the display, so that can't be the cause, can it?

19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Joe, this is quite common on many rear-projection sets and is the result of less-than-ideal CRT/mirror/screen angles in the name of chassis compactness.

There is a technique known as "lens striping" that deals with this. Basically, you strategically shield the output of certain CRTs by placing strips of tape or something similar (most use electrical tape) over certain parts of the lens. In your case, yellow is too much red and green, so you'd want to apply the striping to the right side of the red and green lenses.

This is pretty easy to do, but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you're the kind that likes to get your hands dirty (not in the literal sense, of course).

20. JohnSch

JohnSch Extra

I got the same panny (53wx53) on Tuesday... and I've only just now had a chance to view a widescreen DVD via a progressive player on it. WOW. Monsters Inc. It was like watching a movie I'd never seen before.

Colors I'd never seen, amazing detail, widescreen. Nice. We were having fun reading the text of the various bits of paper in the background - signs, forms, menus - amazing.

My HDTV tuner (Samsung T151 OTA tuner) comes in on the 9th - hard to imagine I will get even more detail than DVD out of this thing, but I'm ready to be wowed again.

MI has several white scenes - I didn't notice a yellow. Have you done the user calibration in the mode you've using when you see Yellow? Checked for magnetic interference (speakers too close) or funky cables, or even tried different sources?