What's new

Finally, PICS of my EBS Shiva (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
http://link.freepichosting.com/image.cgi/27034/1.jpg
http://link.freepichosting.com/image.cgi/27034/0.jpg

Ok, I've had the sub done for about 2 and a half months, but I didn't have my camera w/ me at home when I built it, and I've had it tucked in the corner of my apartment living room since the day I got back to school. I had it out while cleaning the apartment today so I took a couple of pictures.

It's a EBS Shiva powered by an external 250W PE Plate Amp. I used a pair of 2" ports instead of a single 4" port because I had the 2" PVC around when I was building it. The dual 2" offers the same vent match as the single 4" according to WINISD and I haven't heard a bit of port noise even at and above reference. Even though, I'll probably replace the dual 2" ports w/ dual 3" ports when i get the sub back home this summer and us the router to flush-cut and roundover to flare them.

Believe it or not, the inset glass top doesn't rattle a bit even at and above reference (although things sitting on the glass do, as well as things across the room :) ). It sets on top of 6 thick clear rubber bumpers. I had to add a couple in the middle because the Paradigm Mini MK3 (predecessor to the Mini Monitor) surround speaker that sets on the glass had enough weight to start to bend it a bit... guess I should have went w/ 1/4" tempered glass, but HD only carries 1/8" single strength, and it's cheap.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice Stephen.

Just so you know, WinISD is wrong when calculating vent mach. A single 4" port has twice the cross area and half the vent air speed as dual 2" ports.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
David is correct. Two 2" ports do not offer the same area as one 4" port. It's exactly half of one 4" port. You would need two 2.828" ports to equal one 4" port.

You might want to recheck the calculations with WinISD Pro Alpha, or Unibox. You may not have your sub tuned to the frequency you think you do.

Seth

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone...

I'm going to be changing the 2" ports to dual 3" ports this summer... but as for the 2" ports, I haven't heard the slightest bit of port noise yet, so i guess it's not worth worrying about since i won't have the tools at hand to change it 'til this summer anyway.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
wow never knew such great minds came to this forum :D

BTW the links are dead for me, still it sounds like you did a good job

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful sub, Stephen...an EBS Shiva is a potent beast. I think, though, you'll get better performance with a 4" flared port, definitely worth the upgrade. WinISD faults aside, if you look at the geometry, it would take four 2" circles to equal the area of just one 4", to say nothing of the flares (the benefits of which shouldn't be underestimated).
You may not hear noise (audibility depends on on port placement), but there's almost certainly compression setting in which is adversely effecting performance.

It can only get better. :)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Stephen, that looks AWESOME. That's almost exactly what I wanted to do with my Tempest box before it got too big and I ran out of room. But good work! I really love the way that turned out. If I ever make a smaller sub or get more room to play with, that's what I'm going to do. :emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Owen,

Your rendereings are actually where I got my inspiration :) Hope you don't mind, and I did make a few changes of my own.

How would dual 3" ports compare to a single 4" port?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ofcourse :) I'm thinking it'll be easier to replace the dual 2" ports w/ dual 3" ports rather than trying to plug one hole and replace the other w/ the 4" port.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Very nice Stephen. If you ever get bored watching a dud of a movie you can watch your sub instead. Maybe you should name it after the movie "GLADIATOR">> [Are you entertained? Are you not entertained?] Get it? Nice work.:emoji_thumbsup:

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Your rendereings are actually where I got my inspiration
Really?? Wow, I'm flattered. You executed it flawlessly. I'm glad that my design could come to life in some way, even though I couldn't see it through. :)

Heh, that's too funny, now I'm in a great mood. :D

Thanks Stephen!

Users who are viewing this thread