What's new

Finally opened my Xbox box. ....ahhh....Halo, you guys were right! (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
After letting my Xbox sit in my bedroom closet for close to a month, I finally broke down. Couldn't take it anymore! It was supposed to be an Xmas present.
Bought my girlfriend a PC for her present and she bugged me so much to open it early, I finally let her. Well...screw it; if she's ruining her Xmas, so was I!!!
Anyhoo, I was suprised at how heavy the 'Box is. No wonder they tell you to avoid dropping it on kids. :laugh:
Hooked it up to my little 35" Sony Trinitron (which I just bought new for the occasion), did the MonsterCable S-vid pack and the Monster Optical. Ran it all through the Outlaw Audio 1050 which pumped it into the DefTech BP2000tls/2004Tls' and, of course, the SVS16-46pc.
Popped in Halo...
...HOLY F'N SHIT!!!!!
You guys were right. Amazing isn't quite good enough.
Strange thing is, it's the little things that make this game the jewel that it is. Like, shining your flashlight onto the floors/walls and seeing bumpmapping in all it's glorly, like never before. Seems like you could reach out and actually "feel" every surface. Or, the comments that the enemies and your friends make. They make sense and, they're in the context of the moment. The grunts (enemies) make me laugh every time I hear them. Especially when they panic!!! :laugh:
The story so far is killer. I'm just over halfway through and have learned about someone the Covenant fears. That's all I say.
The level design is very intellegent. Everything makes sense. Things are built the way you'd expect them to be made in real life instead of some of the freaky, hap-hazard level design of other games.
The sound is unlike anything I've EVER heard before, in a game. The 5.1 surround sound pulls you into the game like never before. Wait until the 1st major fire fight and you hear guys behind you, in front and to the sides, all yelling different things while the floor is shaking from the engines of the Covenant dropship coming down.
It was glorious!!!!
Even the gregorian-type chant in the title screen sends a chill up my spine.
Well, I could go on but, since I'm a late comer to the world of Halo, everything and anything I can say, has been said before; except that I'm actually dreading the end of this game. I hate when something good has to end and, I can only hope that the end indicates that the story is just beginning meaning, Halo II and, an entire Halo franchise.
I can only hope...

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Reading your review put a big smile on my face, Derrik. Welcome to the club, Master Chief!! :) It's great to hear other people are enjoying this incredible game as much as I am. Your description of it captures the experience perfectly--this game draws me in emotionally. When I'm in a darkened hallway and I'm down to a fistful of shotgun shells and a mostly depleted plasma pistol and I can hear snarling and growling SOMEWHERE in the darkness up ahead...you better believe my heart is pounding, my mouth is dry, and my eyes are like saucers, waiting for the first hint of movement in the shadows. The 5.1 sound is so totally immersive, you can't help but react physically to the sound cues in the game.
And the A.I.? Holy cow! Let me describe one firefight I had (it's just a generic firefight so I won't bother with spoiler tags). On the level where you get the Scorpion tank, there was a screen with two bridges spanning a chasm in a big room. I had the tank and one marine with a sniper rifle on him, so I thought I would be in good shape, but I never made it very far before getting my arse handed to me by all the Covenant in the room. There were just too many of them! I tried all different ways to get the tank onto the bridge, but their combined fire would always wipe me out. So finally I said "Screw it!", and hopped off the tank to see if I could pick them off one-by-one. The other marine hopped off, too, and disappeared somewhere. All of a sudden, I start hearing these BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! noises, and I scrambled for cover wondering what the hell the Covenant was unleashing on me now. After scanning the room for several heart-racing minutes, I tentatively stepped out. No more booms. I crept up to the bridge, ready for battle. Nothing but corpses all the way along the bridge. What the hell??? Then I realized...the booms were the freaking marine, taking out the Covenant with his sniper rifle!!! He had snuck out to the other bridge and wiped them out while I was drawing their fire.
Now THAT is some damn good A.I.!! What a game! And that's just single-player... :) :) :)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
You guys nailed it.

Awesome game.

With all the $$$ Bungie is making off of it, there had better be at least three more in the series. Just hope they make the stories interesting and original enough to hold everyone's interest.

Jared

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Jared,
something tells me if they put out a Halo 1.5 with non split screen co-op and internet play....they would be able to make a killing. Even if NOTHING ELSE changed, adding those two things (and internet based co-op of course) would move these things.
Gamespy's hack is cool and all (tried it last night), but unless you and the other player(s) have mad amounts of bandwidth, it's just near impossible to keep the game playable w/ more than two players.
An internet enabled Halo "1.5" to be used w/ MS's or ANY gaming network would sell like nobody's business. :)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I might be in the minority here, but I just can't see myself ever using any of the internet play stuff with my XBOX. I just have no interest right now in playing people I don't know. Maybe down the road someone will organize some type of "HALO All-Star Deathmatch Tournament". I might get interested in something like that, but I would get my ass handed to me on a plate. I can say; I would never (read: NEVER) pay cash money on a monthly basis for such a service.
I enjoy playing with friends in the same room (or same house). I love being able to hear someone yell out "Oh Sh*t" when I take them out with the sniper rifle (or visa versa). I feel it adds to the community feeling when your friends are right there with you. I just need more friends with XBOX's. ;)
Jared

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Derrik, Dave, you guys described it perfectly! I've played just about every FPS since the good old days of Wolfenstein and I haven't felt like this in a loooong time. HALO has been a great gaming experience and I'm sure that I'm not even half way through it!
Bungie really hit the nail on the head with this one!:emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Since we're talking about Halo, I have a question or two.

Can you connect 16 X-Boxes together so each person has a TV and an X-Box or does it max out at 4?

I read that the multiplayer mode is very customizable. What kinds of options are there?

How many levels are there and what is the average game time for one time through the normal difficulty?

I'm not a huge X-Box fan, but Halo caught my attention a while ago and I'm still really curious, so if you all could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
How many levels are there and what is the average game time for one time through the normal difficulty?
I have no idea if my play time is average or not, but on the normal difficulty level it probably took me approximately 25 or 30 hours to get through. The next level up however is handing my ass to me on a plate. Man the AI is good!!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So the max is 4 X-Boxes connected, no more, but possible for less? I was hoping that you could do 16 X-Boxes...but 4 with 4 people per is pretty good.

Gary King

Second Unit
For Halo, yes. 4 Xboxes max, up to 4 players per Xbox.

I just wish that there were more than 2 teams for some of the games. For any game but Capture the Flag, 1 team per box would work really nicely.

At normal difficulty (if you've already played through on easy), expect about 1-2 hours per level, for 10 levels (15-20 hours).

Assuming you're really familiar with the game (not just once through on easy), expect to double that once for Heroic, and once again for Legendary. I think I've logged about 20 hours into my Heroic campaign (I skipped the first level), and I'm about 1/3 of the way through the 8th level.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
With all the $$$ Bungie is making off of it, there had better be at least three more in the series.
A little history on Bungie:
Their release of Marathon in 1994 for the Mac was exactly the reaction people are having to Halo today. Although we had other FPS's like Doom and Wolfenstein, Quake hadn't been released yet, so the best game (which was the first to support multiplayer) was Marathon. It was so successful that it spawned 2 sequels (well, 3 if you count Halo as a sequel) and after the third installment was released, they released the "Marathon Trilogy" box set.
So...something to look forward to :)
Mike

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Derrick,

You finally broke down, huh? Man, tell me how youyr 16-29PC is doing. I got mine yesterday, but won't be able to get everything calibrated until Christmas time or so, then, out comes the x-box!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Gomez - the 16-46pc is just like Halo; the hype is real. :)
I had my Def Tech Prosub hooked up before I took the SVS out of mothballs (so to speak), and it's night and day. The SVS shakes the walls and floors so powerfully, and effortlessly, that's it's definitely worth every penny you pay for it.
You'll enjoy it, trust me! :emoji_thumbsup:

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Derrick, that sounds great, I liken the 16-49PC to your "...better to have a gun . . " there may not be many sub 20Hz (or sub 25 Hz material) out there, but I'm covered for everything now and in the future - that's why I picked the 16-49

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Let me also jump in and say that this game is awesome. Easily the best experience I've ever had playing a video game (and that's with over 20 years experience).

Everything about this game is top notch. When you play it, it just keeps getting better and better. Then when you think it can't possibly get any better: They introduce the Flood

If this game doesn't get Game of the Year I will be shocked.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
trevor
my buds and I were scared shitless playing through the latter parts of the game.....3 am, rooom pitchblack (in real life and in game) and all you hear off in the distance very faintly in one of your rear surrounds is a moaning noise......then suddenly the moaning gets very VERY loud....
AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e....
:) :)

Gary King

Second Unit
Mike -

Doom had multiplayer, too.

Marathon was the first to support more than 4 players, AFAIK, but Doom beat it to the punch for LAN play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks