What's new

Finally, My Quest For The Perfect Receiver Came To An End (1 Viewer)

Kage

Stunt Coordinator
I finally found the perfect receiver for me. In the past two weeks I tried these receivers: HK AVR-230, Onkyo TX-SR601, Denon AVR-1804, Yamaha HTR-5660, and Yamaha RX-V640.

The perfect receiver for me is the Yamaha RX-V640. I know the RX-V640 is the same as the HTR-5660, but I felt that the RX-V640 is superior than the HTR-5660.

Here is a brief comparison on all the receivers that I tried in the past two weeks. This comparison was done with Polk Audio Speakers (RTi38, FXi30, and CSi30) and my Yamaha YST-SW305 subwoofer. Now time for the brief comparison.

HK AVR-230
I did not like this receiver at all. It had muffled, muddy sound. Build quality was poor, because some of the analog output and inputs were loose and even some fell off.

Onkyo TX-SR601
This receiver was very good for music playback and it was good for movies surround sound also, but not to my liking. This unit had excellent build quality. This unit was a few inches too long in length and the front part unit was pass the edge of my entertainment center's shelf.

Denon AVR-1804
This unit was very good in music playback sound quality and the sound quality in movies was very soft. Build quality is top notch on this unit. This unit could not decode Dolby Digital EX and it lacked a few features. I felt that this unit is overpriced.

Yamaha HTR-5660
This unit has very good in sound quality for movies and good, but slighty bright sound quality for music playback. Build quality is very good. It also has a lot features for the unit's price.

Yamaha RX-V640
This is the same unit as the HTR-5660, but I felt it is more superior. The sound quality is very good in movies and in music playback the sound quality was not bright like the HTR-5660 or too warm like the Denon and Onkyo, it was smooth. Build quality is very good and it has the same features as the HTR-5660.

Ranking
1. Yamaha RX-V640
2. Onkyo TX-SR601
3. Yamaha HTR-5660
4. Denon AVR-1804
5. Harman Kardon AVR-230

Summary
The Yamaha RX-V640 fitted all my needs and wants in a receiver. It also goes well with my Polk Audio speakers and Yamaha subwoofer. I like the RX-V640 a lot, no I don't, I LOVE IT!!!!!!. So, my quest came to an end and I found the right receiver for me.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Huh? If the receiver is the same, how did the RXV-640 sound better than the HTR-5660?

I know there are some differences - the RXV series has pre-outs, etc. But, I didn't think there were any sound differences.

Are you sure you could hear the difference between the two Yamaha receivers?

Did you have them side-by-side so you could A/B test them with the same speakers/settings, etc. ??

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I also should add, I guess that it all boils down to what sounds and seems like a good value to you.

In my case, I used to own the Denon AVR-1802 receiver. I thought I should try the Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver. For me, the Yamaha didn't cut it. After about two weeks, I happily pulled the Yamaha out of my setup, sent it back and put the Denon back into service.

However, that is my experience with the two. In my case, I felt the Denon was made better, was easier to set up and was a better "value." Both receivers were the same amount of money - $300, so price didn't have any affect on my decision.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/f...vers/faq00.htm

The only difference between the RXV and HTR lines is where they are typically sold, and the colour of the lettering. There is no sonic difference at all. I'm not sure if the colour of the lettering makes a difference or not :)

No such thing has ever happened with any H/K machine I've ever seen (mine included). The only situation I've ever seen rca jacks come off was when they got stuck in the Monster grip of death turbine connectors. I'm sure your experience isn't typical.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Not yet seens the HK problems you mentioned and the ones I've heard (230, 330 225,525) all sounded wonderful comapred to equiv yammies and denons.

but it's what you hear-thank you for your impressions.

rogo

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh, once again the sound of the boys who say it all sounds the same! Care to tell us how you arrived at this conclusion? Listen to each on your system or just read somewhere this is what you say? Let us know so we can decide if your posts are worth considering.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Stephen, I'm not sure how to interpret your post. Are you suggesting that there are sound differences between the RXV and HTR receivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks