What's new

Finally my PT-47 is in the house! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I was going to resurrect the old thread, but I have a question that I thought might get overlooked if I put it in that rather lengthy thread.
1. Why on AVIA low grey patterns (like 20 or 30 IRE) would my TV give something that looks like snow or static? It doesn't do it for blacks, and higher greys, just at the low IRE ones.
- Could this be SVM? I don't know what it looks like so I don't know...
- Could it be the Monster Video 3 Component cables I bought?
- Could it be the Sony S560D player?
- Could it be the AVIA disc test pattern?
- Is it a faulty TV?
I don't notice it much, but on rare occasion on a dark scene, if it matches that tone of grey, I can see a little bit of the snow/static, like lighter grey static streaks over the darker grey. You know, like the ones you get when cable reception is not so good?
Other than this annoyance, I'll post my comments on the set a little later (they are mostly positive). Just wanted to throw this question out there.
Also, has anyone figured out how to disable SVM on this set yet?
See you all soon, I gotta run and buy The Gift and Family Man.
-----------
My dealer of choice:www.yawaonline.com
[Edited last by Carlo Medina on July 17, 2001 at 06:39 PM]

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure. How about trying different cables, perhaps S-video and composite. Did you turn your sharpness and contrast way down? Is the noise gray or does it have color?
Ryah
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The noise is grey. I've already calibrated the sharpness, contrast, picture, color to AVIA standards. The sharpness is at 0, any more and there was ringing in the patterns. the other settings are way down, too, so it isn't overly bright and revealing MPEG flaws meant to be hidden on properly calibrated displays.
Correction/EditI tried switching to S-Video and it's not there. I'm wondering if the set needs break-in as well. I only have one set of component cables so I can't A/B it.
I'm still playing with the settings, and hopefully that service manual will come by week's end, so I can try to eliminate as much of the extra processing as I can.
[Edited last by Carlo Medina on July 17, 2001 at 11:42 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm also considering going to the RP91. I'm going to talk to my dealer to see if there's a demo unit I can try out and compare with the 560D. Maybe if I don't see it in that unit that will tell me something.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One correction, the grey interference is NOT there for S-video. I wonder then if I got a bum set of component wires? They're the Monster Video 3 kind, so you would think that they are at least decent. Maybe I'll try to swap out with some RCA cables and see if the anomaly is still there...
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Carlo, this may be obvious :) but double check that your component cables are plugged in nice and snug especially the Y cable. Also, make sure that there aren't any other cables that may be interfering with them. Short of that, trying another component cable is probably your best option.
good luck,
--tom

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Congrats Carlo
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

As for your problem I cannot help. Just wanted to say congrats on getting the new set. I am sure you will be enjoying yours as much as I have mine.
Good luck with the tweaking :)
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Woohoo! Finally!!!
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the new set. Hope the component static problem gets resolved, and keep us posted on your impressions/review of this puppy.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, thanks for the congrats! I know now how you must feel. :)
Thomas, yeah I double checked the connections. I even plugged it into Component 1 and 2 on the TV. I swapped out the Monster 3s with regular RCA cables. The same anomaly occurs.
I'm going to buy a progressive player from somewhere and check out if the anomaly is still present. If it is, then it's a problem with the set's inputs (or all component outs for Sony DVD players since I'll be buying the N700 player).
My overall impressions are in the other
thread .
Will post more as I learn more (and when I get the service manual I'll add to the other PT47 thread).
Thanks to everyone for their help in tweaking this set.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks