What's new

Finally moving out (a.k.a. taking the plunge) (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I am seriously getting fed up with living at home (it brings about a serious lack of options when dealing with women and such...I can't exactly bring a date home with me to watch a movie (or play...hehehe... :D ) with 3 other people in the house all the time). Plus, it would be rather awkward saying "Hi Mom" as we went into my bedroom as that's the only place in this house with a decent home theater. ;)

So, I'm planning on finally moving out come January (that'll give me enough time to pay off my current credit card debt in full). What do I need to consider when moving out? I've counted up my expenses and have considered almost everything (I think). For those that took the plunge and left mommy and daddy (or in my case, mommy and grandparents), what other things should I consider other than the bare essentials?

The bare essentials meaning:

Car Insurance
DSL (or cable)
Food (and for hardcore beer enthusiasts, no this does not include beer as I don't drink very often ;) )
Gym Membership
Recreational Expenses
Utilities (unless the apartment complex already pays for some of them)
Miscellaneous (for those that took the plunge, please tell me anything I may have forgotten above). Keep in mind that I pretty much don't need cable T.V. (I only watch films and listen to music for entertainment -- I find standard cable T.V. much too droll and uninteresting). The few shows I do enjoy don't warrant spending an extra $30-50/mo for cable.

I plan on going a month or two without too much extra cash as I get a small business going. I can't do too much at home right now but as soon as I get out I'll finally have the best possible environment to think and concentrate: Quiet, quiet, and more quiet. Man, I simply can't wait. Also, another benefit for moving out: Girls girls girls, HERE I COME!! :D

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
If you don't already, I strongly recommend having a couple of months rent set aside as a safety net to cover rent in case something unexpected happens...like a big car bill.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Off the top of my head the essentials to moving out are:
  • rent
  • insurance (both auto and renters)
  • transportation (if you're driving a well used vehicle think ahead to what a car payment will do to your budget
  • food
  • electric
  • heat
  • water
  • phone (either cell or landline, no need to pay for both)
  • internet

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
find a roommate that already has their place outfitted?
The bare essentials add up, you need house wares, cleaning supplies and a vacuum, plates, glasses, silverware, cooking utensils, a microwave, shower curtains, stuff you never think about. it adds up FAST.

Scott Core

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Make sure you really like the apartment/house before you sign the lease. Talk to your prospective neighbors and landlord about any problems (parking, trash pickup, pipes, heat or a/c) before you sign and what options you have available if they occur after you move in. A year lease is a long time if you find out you don't have any place to park your car(s) or if your neighbors do things like leave their trash in the common hall overnight before taking it out to the dumpster in the morning or the crazy guy that will jiggle your doorknob at two in the morning (my first apartment, man, let me tell ya...). Also, figure out how, when, and where you'll be able to do your laundry.

I agree on the rent cushion. Two or three months rent in the bank is a pretty good idea should something happen.

Good luck on finding a place.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Especially in CA, don't forget about the expensive deposit most apartments/landlords require. Sometimes it is only equal to one month's rent....but I have seen it as high as 3 months rent (which in SoCal can be about $3000 up front). Make sure you find out about this when you look for a place and prepare for it in your savings these next few months.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
If you chose to live in an apartment, typically they are not Home Theater compatible.....That would be a MAJOR consideration for me.....

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh another idea, are you in college? make friends that are, hang around in the spring when everyone moves out. free stuff galore!!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
DonnyD wrote:
If you chose to live in an apartment, typically they are not Home Theater compatible.....That would be a MAJOR consideration for me.....
That pretty much did it for me. Perhaps I'd be better off looking for an actual home for myself. More than likely, I'd be able to create a deal where I can pay significantly less in rent than an apartment if I can find a motivated enough seller. Plus, deals can also be structured in a way where I don't have to pay a down payment in the traditional sense (or at the least a very small down payment).

I should investigate this a little more. Perhaps home ownership would be a better way to go for me. I just couldn't live without my home theater for an extended period of time!

mark alan

Supporting Actor
the only way you won't have a down payment is if you find someone who is willing to do seller financing. You will not find that.

A better option is to find an older home for rent and rent it. If you are not overly picky about location, you can usually find a house for less than the rental cost of an upscale apartment complex. Of course, you will then have yardwork and maintenance issues, driveby shootings, etc.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Extra transportation costs, if your moving farther that you where from school or work. This may come under groceries, but cleaning supplies, non food stuff.

Look for concrete construction if you want the best sound insulation. All of my external walls and walls that divide separate apartments are all concrete. I don’t hear anybody even my upstairs neighbors 7 and 9 year old. Nobody has complained so far about the HT and I play it around 10-15 below ref.

"A foot of concrete is important when your next-door neighbor lets her hearing aid go and has to watch game shows at full volume...Or when a volcanic blast of debris that used to be your furniture and personal effects blows out your floor-to-ceiling windows and sails flaming into the night."

Pamela

Supporting Actor
My suggestion is let friends, family and co-workers know that you are looking for a place, now. Putting it out on the grapevine can be a great way to find a something.

I've been living in an apartment and wanted to move. Looking in papers and using an agnecy did not yield anything. I started telling everyone that I was looking and lo and behold, my good friends' good friends own a bunch of properties. They knew I was looking and when something was available, they let me know. Now, instead of living in an apartment, I will be living in a small house with, a garage, a yard and a huge patio—for the same price as I now pay for my dumpy apartment.

Plus, since they already know me, they have gone the extra mile to get the property ready for me. New paint, carpet, and blinds, not to mention the plumbing and electrical work they had done to accomodate my needs.

Either way, be patient and you will find something. good luck!

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Very, very true. It's amazing how you can take these things for granted.

Good luck on living on your own. Yeah, roommates are cheaper but there is nothing like having the place to yourself. All the food in the fridge is yours and you don't have to worry about somebody else eating it. You don't have to be quiet because somebody is sleeping in the next room. The hair in the shower is yours. And if there is a new stain, you know where it came from. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regarding budgeting: it is possible to live comfortably for about $14k a year, and without credit card debt. I did this for several years as a graduate student while living in upstate NY (which is a bit cheaper than CA).

Some thoughts on it:
- No student loans to pay
- No new car payments
- Get a roommate with furniture and live in cheap apartments, keeping rent and utilities under about $500 / mo.
- Buy minimal furniture and do it over time (mooch off of roommates). Desks, bookhelves, etc. are done on the cheap.
- Cook your own meals. Only eating out (includes lunches)about once per week.
- Buying toys infrequently. For me this meant only getting a few (

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Plus, it would be rather awkward saying "Hi Mom" as we went into my bedroom as that's the only place in this house with a decent home theater.
I agree. When the GF comes over I use my HT as a cover for her to come in my room in front of my parents. Occasionally I'll get a comment like "So those HT demos messed up your hair, eh?"(while being glared at). I usually respond with "I was running the sub a little hot".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks