What's new

Finally: Max Headroom Coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Job well DONE Shout Factory! Now, while you're in Matt Frewer mode.. I have two words for you...

DOCTOR DOCTOR!

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Max Headroom was a brilliant satire of its day and was probably over the heads of most people, so it went away. But it probably holds up well even today; because if anything, tv is probably more cutthroat and ruthless than it was in the 80s. And we do have about 5 zillion channels now, and they do cancel shows more quickly than they used to (some shows get filmed and then cancelled before they even air! Look up on imdb Randy Quaid's 2002 sitcom "The Grubbs" for a good example).
"The Grubbs" ... Scott Baio's "Rewind" ...

For some reason, "pre-air cancellation" and "Fox" just have a way of going together! LOL

I think it's important to have another look at this show because our media kinda sucks right now--technology is changing too fast and a lot of people are losing money and are terrified and making bad corporate decisions. Max knew all this had happened before and would happen again, and he presented it as a cautionary tale with a satiric bent; but he had a lot of fun doing it, I should add.
I can only imagine what he'd do with the Reality TV shows out there now (The Hills, Laguna Beach, The Real Housewives of Atlanta/Orange County/New York City/New Jersey, Jersey Shore, etc.)

Why should we care about these people? We're positively OBSESSED with the lives of total strangers who have about as much in common with the average American as the Queen of England or Donald Trump!

(When your parents come over for a visit, do they get to choose which of YOUR cars they're going to drive? Do they get to choose between the Jag, the BMW, the Rolls, the Town Car, or the SUV?)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Not exactly, in the original Bryce (Paul Spurrier, who also appears in both versions..) was an evil little git that ended up going down with Grossman. US version he has an attack of conscience and sided with Max/Edison.

Originally Posted by David Lambert

Quote:

• "Remade almost scene-for-scene as the first episode of 'Max Headroom' (1987). Only Frewer, Pays and Sheppard appeared in both versions. The obese TV viewer's death by 'blipberts', and Carter's reaction to it, as well as the live TV doctor's topic on colon health were discarded."

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Rick P

Not exactly, in the original Bryce (Paul Spurrier, who also appears in both versions..) was an evil little git that ended up going down with Grossman. US version he has an attack of conscience and sided with Max/Edison.
Paul only appeared in the UK version (Chris Young played Bryce in the US verson):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0819965/

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Ack, what I get for posting after being on the road all day... but still, a significant diff in that in the original Bryce is a real git and in the US he turns white hat.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by David Lambert /forum/thread/298495/finally-max-headroom-coming-to-dvd#post_3665030

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by David Lambert /forum/thread/298495/finally-max-headroom-coming-to-dvd#post_3666456

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Lambert
I have no idea if the Art Of Noise video has been considered, but I'm shooting a note right now to pass that suggestion along (giving credit to Joe Corey for bringing it up).
And don't forget the holiday song, "Merry Christmas Santa Claus, You're A Lovely Guy". I'm not sure there's a video though.

http://www.soundunwound.com/sp/contributor/view/Max-Headroom

Terrible, hideous song.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Will_B

And don't forget the holiday song, "Merry Christmas Santa Claus, You're A Lovely Guy". I'm not sure there's a video though.
Ohhhh there is ...

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com has the artwork up and they are taking pre-orders for August 10. the price is $34.99.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Though the official street date is next Tuesday (August 10, 2010), MAX HEADROOM THE COMPLETE SERIES is now available at many Best Buy stores. Check your local store's inventory online at BestBuy.com. I had to go to two before finding it, but I found it today.

Harry

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From the HTF Rules:

7. No breaking "street date". Please do not post information about retail or other sources that have DVDs or other video releases available for sale before the official "street date".

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Sorry about that.

It seems that the retailer I mentioned actually lists the official street date as this past Tuesday on their website. I think it was likely a case of confusion as to the actual street date, and in my excitement, I hadn't considered that I was breaking a rule - and I don't think the retailer thought they were breaking any rules either.

Harry

...apparently posting from 20 minutes into the future, online...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
More than one retailer seems to think this has a street date of Aug. 3. However, the official Shout! Factory press release says Aug. 10, and that's the date Amazon is observing.

I'll be posting a review this weekend.

WillLon

Agent
Real Name
Wil
There's a review of this set on tvshowsondvd.com. Gord Lacey is also thanked by name in the booklet as well as some other fanboys from another website. I had no idea Gord was that young.

I believe the "original airdate" listed in the booklet for Episode 14 - "Baby Grobags" of 10 September 1995 is NOT correct. That's when the Sci-Fi Channel showed the episode. (Actually it was 2am EST on 11 September 1995 that SciFi aired it).

The US Bravo Network showed the episode around December 1994 and again in early 1995. It was rotated with Twin Peaks reruns, I believe. This was at a time when Bravo did not interrupt programs with commercials - nothing like the channel today. I had not even heard there was a 14th episode until I saw the Bravo TV listing at the time - imagine that surprise! The UK aired Episode 14 in 1989, I believe.

For years this was one of the Holy Grails of tv-on-dvd. Nice to finally get this one !

Cheers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks