What's new

Finally made the leap into HD (1 Viewer)

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Aloha,

I'm a music lover that listens exclusively on a two channel system, but that doesn't mean I dont enjoy a good movie or concert on a home theater system. After years of watching movies on an old Denon Dolby Digital receiver, Sony SD dvd player and Mitsubishi 35" crt, I up graded to HD with amazing results. The technologies of these new generation equipment gives you the "you are there feel". I'm getting blown away by the new Blu-Ray material, and also enjoying old movies and concerts like it was the first time I watched them.

Home Theater
Denon 3808ci Receiver, Sony BDP-S2000ES Blu-ray Player, Sony Playstation 3 Samsung LN-T4071F LCD T.V., HD Programming from local cable company, API Power Wedge, Panamax HTM-10, Monster M 1000 series for HDMI, component, and subwoofer cables. Transparent Cable for audio. Speakers are my trusted Mirage M-7si, Mirage MCC, and BPSS150 sub. Polk Audio in wall speakers mounted in the ceiling.

Two Channel
Audio Research D-300, LS-7, CD-2, Theta BasicII & Pro Progeny. Speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System. Cabling is all Audio Research. Digital cable is Kimber.

I now have a hard time watching anything in SD. Pictures to come.

Tencc

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Congrats! I had the same experience on Jan 1 this year...sort of a "holy crAp!" when I first saw hi-def. I never watch sports, but I sat through most of two football games that day, switching back and forth between analog and HD channels. I can just barely contain my desire to get BD, but I will wait until the price is reasonable.

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Thank you, Chuckg. I think I'm done with my system component wise, later I think I need to get new AV furniture. I'm using my old equipment/TV stand that works well for now but isn't visually appealing. Its not that the stand is not in good shape, in fact it is. Its just old. Also my wife said that we needed a new stand, especially for the TV. Who am I to argue? I probably would like to get a new sub, but thats much later.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Hey Travis. Welcome to the forum. Nice system you got there. The first time I saw HD, I was stunned to. It's an exciting time for HD now. It reminds me of how I felt when dvd first hit the market way back in 1997. Anyway, enjoy your time here and keep telling us what you think of your chosen formats and equipment.

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Thank you for those kind words Troy. System wise, the difference between HD & SD, well we all can see it. The difference between my new Denon and my old receiver is also amazing. Better separation and also seamless transition from speaker to speaker (L to R, F to B etc). Music also sounds pretty good. I haven't listened to my two channel system for a while. I hope my hard core two channel buddies don't find out about this. I guess its a new toy thing. I jumped at the opportunity to get a deal on the Sony blu-ray player just before the announcement that HD DVD had ceased production. I kind of had a haunch that blu-ray would win. We all remember beta vs VHS awhile back, maybe Sony learned something. The Denon/Sony/Samsung combination really works well together. Pictures are super sharp with jaw dropping detail, colors that are bright and accurately displayed, and to my ears, sound that is tight that doesn't over emphasize one freq. over the other. As for the PS3, I'm not a gamer but my kids are, and thy love it. Its also a great DVD player. It starts way faster than the BDP-S2000ES.
All in all, I'm very happy with how the system works together. Later, I'll get a new stand for the system, and much more down the line a new subwoofer.

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Aloha,
It's been a while since I've written, but I've been looking back from time to time. When I last wrote, I wanted to get new A/V furniture and a subwoofer. Well, didn't get furniture but got not one but two subwoofers. I researched on the web and at my favorite A/V store here in Hawaii and decided on getting the JL Audio Fathom 113 for my two channel system and an Epik Castle for my home theater system. Both systems are well built and looks good but I would have to give the Fathom the upper hand in the build quality and overall looks, not to mention WAF. They are both heavy. The Fathom weighs in at 130 lbs and the Castle a little lighter at 120 lbs. Although heavier, the fathom is a lot smaller then the Castle with its 15 in driver and 6 in. port, compared to 13.5 for the Fathom which is sealed. As for sound quality they are both amazing. I would give the edge to the Fathom for music because the bass sounds tighter and faster (to my ears) The Fathom blended seamlessly into my two channel system. Using the ARRO system helped very much. It also goes down deep. The Castle is no slouch. It is one serious sub. It also sounds great with music, but the Castle's strength is in its ability to play loud and deep without strain. When watching movies, all you say is WOW! The Castle moves massive amounts of air. My house literally shakes when scenes with heavy bass is present. Movie night at home will never be the same. I've got the best of both worlds. Two different philosophies that reproduce deep bass. A sealed sub with prodigious amounts of power for that tight, fast and detailed sound for my two channel system and a big boxed ported sub which goes down deep and loud for the you are there feeling for my home theater. I would absolutely recommend either of these subs for music or home theater.

Tencc1

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Parker,

Thank you for those kind words. I tried several times on this thread and also on htf gallery with no luck. I'll try again later.

tencc1

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Howzit, Wow 3 years sure flew by. I've been on here and there. Just soooo busy. Anyway I just added a Zvox 575 to the system so we don't have power everything up while only watching TV. I wanted something better than the TV's speakers,and its huge improvement, but its no comparison to seperate speakers. Also got a better stand for the display. Here's some pics., better late than never. Even though the system is three years old, it still performs great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks