Finally got the System that I have hunting for almost 2 years!!!!! NEC PC-FX!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Ok i have been hunting for an NEC PC-fx for over 2 years now, and today I own one! I now have the hardware, now comes the software. Anyone out there know of a place online where I can get the software for this box. I know eBay, but was just wondering if there was a place that one of you knew about, a place that sells weird/rare Jap. Import titles. Just so excited that I finally got it! Now its time to move onto the NEC SuperGrafx, hopefully it won't take me two years to find one in excellent condition that doesn't cost me a mint.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have a TurboGrafx 16 with some games for it, and I think the only problem with it is that the controller slot is a little messed up because it uses the male/female pin thing and a pin is bent or broken. If that is what you are looking for, I am sorry to say I can't sell it. It isn't mine, its my dad's (he payed for it, just like the DC, PSX, PS2, Atari, Colecovision, NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis). Even if he gave it to me, I would keep it to have that old nostalgic feeling. I played it when I was little, so its still neat.

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

You should be able to find hardware for the PC-FX, ShuttleGrafx, and even the SuperGrafx here . They also have links to various PC-Engine sites including a site that's exclusively PC-FX.
    Good luck on getting your hands on a SuperGrafx, though. That ones gonna be a hard find. Street prices on it are high and it's very rare. eBay had an auction a while back that went quadruple-digits! Of course, it including some impressive games, but there you go.
    Happy retrogaming.

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Oops, I forgot to mention that, yes, they also carry games for the PC-FX.
    Later.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I already have the console(PC-FX), and I already own a TurboDuo, TG-16, PCE.
    james,
    Thanks for the link! They do have some games, and their prices are ok, kinda high, but as to be expected with such a rare system.
    There is a SuperGrafx for sale right now, but alas I have no money.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I went ahead and bought the SuperGrafx also, I am so bad someone spank me [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well actually there are a lot less hentai games then you might think, but there are some and they mostly came about because the system did flop. Unfortunately NEC didn't see the coming 3D revolution and they paid for it. on www.pcenginefx.com has a great interview with a former top brass at TTi(NEC/Hudson America) and did you know that NEC was offered Mortal Kombat as an exclusive title, but turned it down because the top brass in Japan thought American gamers were tired of Fighting Games, WTF the phenom had just started!!!! Also the TG-16 had the best port of Street Fighter II, but alas NEC didn't bring it over, as they thouhgt it would cost too much money. NEC could have been a contender, but dumb moves like those made them fall off the map, and now collectors like me are scrambling to get whatever we can at a resonable price.

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

10. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

I would actually stay away from BuyRite.. A lot of people have had bad experiences with them, including me.
    I dont believe NCSX has any PCFX games left in stock.
    Although VGHunter has some kind of resource for finding stuff for the rarer systems(PCFX, Marty, Playdia, etc), I have never personally used it.
    Besides the aforementioned, Ebay is probably your best bet, short of traveling to Japan. However PCFX has reached collectors prices in Japan so you wont find any bargains over there either.
    As far as games are concerned, the launch titles for PCFX are probably your best bet. Team Innocent and Battle Heat are fairly import friendly if you dont know a lot of Japanese. Unfortunately a lot of the later releases are pretty heavy on Japanese text.
    Zeroigar is pretty cool if you enjoy shooters, although its pretty difficult. And Chip Chap Kick, is a pretty cool puzzle game similair to Snow Bros. Both are really import friendly.
    Supergrafx as I am sure you are aware had very few dedicated games released for it. I mainly use mine to play import hu cards, as my TG16 is american.

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Jacob,
    I am currently trying to get a copy of Super Troopers Zeroigar, but it has reached really high prices also(about $150). A game that I really want for the SuperGrafx has also reached outrageous prices, and that is 1941(about $200). I think there was like 5 or 6 games released with the SuperGrafx, and that was all. Really sad, as it was a good unit, especially with the backwards compatibility with the HU Cards.
    Have you played Team Innocent? If so what type of game is it? How much Jap text is in it? Thanks for all the info.

12. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

Wow!! I can't believe PC FX stuff has reached those kind of prices, those are equivalent to Dracula X and Sapphire prices.. Ouch!
    Well... everyone places a different value on money, but for me, I would say the current prices on those games would not be worth it. Especially considering the whole 194X series can be found for free via somewhat questionable sources *cough* mame~~.
    I might be wrong on this, but if my history lesson serves me correctly the deal with the SuperGrafx was this: NEC decided to release the SuperGrafx around the height of the PC Engine popularity, soon after NEC realised that they were only competing against themselves, so Hudson and NEC interchannel pulled the plug on software development for the SuperGrafx in order to continue to support the PC Engine.
    Team Innocent is a character based graphic adventure, somewhat similar to the Lucas Arts graphic adventures, but on a much simpler level. So it would fall somewhere in-between something like Out of this World and Grim Fandango. Regardless, its a pretty game, and probably the best piece of software to show off what the PCFX was capable of(with the exception of Zenki FX)

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The system has reached cult status, just like TG-16. And the SuperGrafx has reached ungodly status on the market, I saw one of these go on ebay that was just the base unit go for $300, no game, no power, no video, no controller, and definetely no box/manual, etc.....crazy! Thats why I am glad I got the deal I did get on my SG and PCFX, as I bought them from another collector who had to sell parts of his collection to make room for baby. I have bought other pieces of this guys collection before, like his MINT NeoGeo GOLD Home System with about 5 games for $200. He realizes that he could go out on eBay with his stuff, but he would rather sell it to me because he knows it will be taken care of.
    You are sorta right, apparently NEC bullied developers into developing for the SuperGrafx, well once those games came out and sales sucked, NEC realized what a big mistake it had made as it didn't make any money, so it dumped the SuperGrafx before they could really give it a chance. After that Hudson started working on the "IronMan" and that turned into the PC-FX eventually, and well we know where NEC screwed up there, they completely got blind-sided by the 3D graphics revolution.
    Does Team Innocent have lots of Jap text in it? If not then I am all over that. I also want to get Battle Heat, and STZ. What type of game is Zenki FX?

14. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

Thats wierd because I just picked up a 2nd SuperGrafx off of Ebay less than 2 months ago, brand new sealed in box with Battle Ace for less than 200 bucks. There must be some mass frenzy going on these past few weeks.
    Yah Team Innocent has a lot of text, but its mostly just dialogue text that really isnt needed. The game is a lot more accessable than say a standard RPG, but then again it still has a bunch of text, so Im not sure if you would want to deal with it or not. Regardless your choices are pretty limited for PC FX stuff that is not Japanese text heavy.
    Zenki, is a side scrolling action game based off an Anime of the same name. It's worth owning just for the simple fact that it is fairly english friendly, although the prices on it are generally quite high.

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I think it really depends on when you are looking to buy, there is an unopened PCFX going for $20 right now on eBay, but still has a couple days left to go.
    I think I will go ahead and get Team Innocent, and I still want STZ. Zenki sounds cool, will have to keep a look out for it. What games do you have for the SG? PCFX? So far I have 0 PCFX games and for the SG I have Darius.

16. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

Lets see.
    Hopefully Im not missing anything
    I dont have a lot of games for either system.
    My PCFX game list is as follows:
    Tyoujin Heiki Zeroigar
    Blue Breaker
    Chip Chap Kick!
    Der Langrisser FX
    Team Innocent
    Battle Heat
    Last Imperial Prince
    Zenki
    Supergrafx
    Battle Ace
    Daimakaimura
    Granzort
    LOL, thats it for my Supergrafx.. oh well I got half the games =P

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

You have a very impressive SuperGrafx library there [​IMG]
    I see that there is a copy of 1941 for sale on eBay, man its tempting but its going for $100. I really only want that title and Daimakaimura, even though I already have the Genesis version.
    For the PC-FX I want Battle Heat, Zeroigar, Team Innocent, and now thanks to you Zenki FX.
    How did you get all your software? eBay?? It really seems like eBay is my best bet.

18. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I just bought Battle Ace on ebay for $10, it had the cardboard slipcase and everything.

19. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

That's an awesome price for Battle Ace. Too bad Battle Ace isn't the best of games, but hey its cool for the sheer novelty factor of it being a "SuperGrafx" game.
    Daimakaimura is done really well on SuperGrafx, and if you are a big Ghouls and Ghosts fan, you will notice obvious differences between the two versions(SuperGrafx and Megadrive).
    I agree that 1941 price is very tempting. Especially considering what a fan I am of shooters. Maybe I will keep any eye on that auction and see how high it goes.
    Almost all of my SuperGrafx software has come from Ebay. However none of my PC FX stuff was bought there. I got some of it from NCS and a couple of others off of usenet. The rest I picked up in Japan. I try to make it over there once every couple of years, so most of my back catalog of games and systems comes from Ahkihabara or Den Den Town.

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Being that you are a fan of shooters, as I am myself. do you own an import saturn? if so what would you say are the best shooters on it, I am in the process of working out a deal for one(a white one) and was wondering what shooters are good. So far I am looking at:
    Radiant Silvergun - one day I will pay the price
    Capcom Generations v1 - 194x series!
    Do Donpachi
    Donpachi
    Layer Section
    Layer Section II
    Sexy Paradus
    Salamander Collection
    Gunbird
    I just got Raycrisis on the PSX and man if you don't own it, get it! It is a great shooter.
    How much on estimate does it cost to visit Tokyo for a couple of days? Also how hard is it to find used/rarer titles over there. Like could someone go over there and go into several stores and eventually find Radiant Silvergun or Dracula X: Rondo of Blood? I would really like to plan a trip over there for a massive videogame hunt.
    [Edited last by Kelley_B on August 02, 2001 at 01:02 PM]