Finally got the big-screen, but it's not over.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimHal, Aug 31, 2001.

1. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Well, my Wife finally bent and we purchased a 55HX70.
    I had it delivered yesterday and the guy calls me over to the back of the truck. He says "You better take a look at this before we put this thing in your house."
    I now have a nice new TV in my basement with masking tape holding the screen from falling off. The movers and sales people were pretty cool about it though. They would have had a tech guy out to assess and fix the damage today, but I'm going out of town and have to wait until next week.
    Masking tape and all, I'm impressed. Once it's fixed Avia will be coming out to clean things up a bit.
    I just wish I didn't have to go out of town, it's cutting in on my play-time.

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,for whatever it is worth...
    A year and a half ago I bought a 36" tv.We were living up stairs so I had it delivered.THe set got there and it had an odd tint to it regardless of what I did in the menu.I called cc and they brought me another one.Same thing with the second...some odd tint...they brought me a third one.Looked great..up until a month or so ago,now everything is GREEN.
    Anyway,I guess what I am saying is get a new set,there is no reason you should have to have it fixed at this point.And if the screen is falling off,who knows what else is wrong with the sucker.
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

3. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to get a new one. The only problem is the set is now discontinued and this was the last they had.
    If I have trouble, I'll try to get the new model out of them.

4. Paul Walther

Paul Walther Agent

It's a good set, Jim. I've had a lot of luck tweaking my 55HX70 (CRT focus, service convergence, SVM disable, mattes, felt lining, etc.) and developing a manual anamorphic "squeeze" setting to use on anamorphic DVD's. Details are here for the anamorphic trick- http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...sh_55hx70.html
    For an extensive list of general tweaks go here- http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...hiba_tips.html
    and here- http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/ToshibaTips.htm
    You may know about these sites already, but if not, enjoy! Hope your set gets fixed in a timely fashion. If you have questions, send me a line. I know this beast pretty well.
    Regards,
    Paul

5. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Paul
    I've seen the sites you listed, but am going to take a really close look now.
    So I talked to my salesman today and the movers fessed up that they overtighted the strap to secure the TV inside the truck. He has already ordered the necessary parts and a tech will be out on Wednesday.
    Do you think any other damage could be caused from the strap squeezing the TV that hard?

6. Paul Walther

Paul Walther Agent

It's very doubtful that there's any other damage- especially since your picture is good and all is functioning properly. The set is pretty "empty" inside behind the screen, mostly a large diagonaly mounted mirror going up to the top of the set, and the 3 CRTs located directly behind the screen at the bottom. There's just one main circuit board located low in the base- that should be fine. ***BUT*** try to do this- if possible watch when the repairman takes off the screen and look for any debris that may have fallen in around the CRT guns. There are some deep gaps around some brackets that unwanted debris could fall into. The CRT lenses should be clean and dust free. After the screen is fit back on, ask to see if the service convergence grid looks well focused for all 3 CRTs (they may sigh at this point). Focus should be optimal about 1/3 of the way from the screen center. The corners are harder to focus and some blurring there is common. Also, it is common for the blue to look less focused than green or blue. Best of luck!
    Paul
    ------------------
    DocW

7. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Just a little update.
    When the service guy showed up, he had no parts like the salesman said. He took a good look at the TV and filled out an order form. He said 2-4 weeks for necessary parts to come in. At that time it will be an easy in-home repair job.
    Well, the four weeks are up and I get a call from the repair shop. To my surprise the parts are in and we are ready to go. But it won't be and in-home repair. The are picking up my TV next Tuesday and it "should" be repaired and back in my home by Thursday.
    The last time they delivered my TV they broke it. I wonder what's going to happen this time?
    I guess one trip from a service guy is more than the cost of sending two delivery men on two separate trips.
    Stupid retailers. I know my story doesn't even come close to the experiences of other people on the forum. It just gets me mad when you shell out a few thousand dollars for a product and you get service that is not up to par.