What's new

Finally got sonosub working! Review (1 Viewer)

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'd like to say that I appreciate all the help and patience from individuals on this forum. My sonsosub has actually been done for some time, but I've had problems with the amp connection (hum) until recently. When I inserted a line level shifter (takes the -10dBv output to +4dBu input of the pro amp) things seem to be working wonderfully. However, the signal is still very weak, I have the amp (mackie 1400i, 1400x1 @4ohm) at full gain and it's not 'terribly' loud. The weird thing is that the mackie is barely even detecting a signal (the signal present light flickers on and off during music playback, not even to mention i have to turn the volume on my receiver (onkyo integra DTR7) to about 40-50 to get the amp to register -20dB input.
That aside...on to the review: INCREDIBLE! I didn't know a vented 15" sub could sound so tight. What really surprised me is that I have, up until now, owned a Velodyne VA1215 (sealed 12 with passive 15), and this thing is even MORE musical than that! But the best part is the bass extension. I'm able to pick up sub 20 hz frequencies that were apparently not screened out when the signals were recorded. I never thought that a sub this large could integrate this well into a pair of B&W 602s as well.
FYI: It's a single tempest in a 260 liter enclosure tuned to 20 hz.

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
What is your subwoofer level set at in the Receiver,+/- how much? Also what is your DD or DTS mix set at in the receiver?
Terry

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Terry, my receiver is set to 0 level for the sub, and I'm not really sure that I can select a DD or DTS setup for the sub. What I do have is a bass peak limiter, I don't think this is what you're talking about though.

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, do you have some pics? I am doing some research on building a sub virtually identical to yours. I wouldn't mind if you could email me some specs and schtuff (if you don't mind, of course!). :)
What program did you use to configumatate (see below)? I have both WinISD and the Adire programs.
Just how musical IS it? I am concerned with such a low tuning frequency that I'll miss something in my music. (I'm an avid metal fan, but delve into jazz and classical as well.) Do you detect any depression in the response above 30-40 hz?
And do you have an estimatation (sorry, I watched SNL after Friends last nite make fun of Dubya some more
wink.gif
) of how much it cost you (again, if you don't mind disclosing it)?
------------------
"Once you label me, you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who see any difference between soul and body have neither." - Oscar Wilde

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks