What's new

Finally Got my Paradigms! (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I decided that it was time to upgrade my surround backs and finally got some Paradigm Mini Monitors v3. I live in Calgary, Canada, so I went down to the local dealer, and we both agreed on $360CAD after some bargaining.

I'll tell you, these things not only outperform my crappy surrounds, they do a hell of a better job than my mains *old, generic pos*

As soon as I get the money, im going back for a set of 7's or 11's. I've heard the Studio 20, but I honesty did not hear enough difference to justify the extra $300.

BTW: I got a quote of $650 for 7's and $800 for 11.

I can get some pics if you would like some, but I figured you all know what mini monitors look like.

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I have to move closer to Canada just to get these great prices. I;m currenty trying to decide between the Monitor 5 or 7 and the Studio 20's. Personally I loved the 20's so I might just go for them. My wife wants to take a road trip to up to Canada for the drive, and I'll pick up some Paradigms.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
jack that is a very good price for the 7s (I just bought some). My price was abouve that but not by a lot so you are getting a great price. What are you running for an AMP?

If you have good power or separates consider going to the Studio 40s rather than 11s. If you are power or $ constrained like I am go for the 7s. If you want to timber match you'll need CC370 for a center. With 7s and Minis in the back you'll match perfectly. Drop me an E Mial or PM if you want to talk about the Monitor series;)

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my studio60s and studio CC tuesday, but have to wait until later today to get the 60s (they didn't have black in stock).

I'm more than excited. :D

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha RXV730 75W/chl amp, and even though its very clean power, I dont think I can drive the Studio Line very efficiently with it. I was actually more inclined towards the monitor 11's over the 7's as they seem even more efficient than the 7s. How far up the line do you think I can do with the given receiver?

Anyway, here are the pics:
Small are about 100k, and large are around 1mb each.
Enjoy.

Front Shot:
Small Large

Logo
Small Large

Naked Mini Monitor
Small Large

Same Shot from the top
Small Large

Driver
Small Large

Tweeter
Small Large

Back

Small Large

Label
Small Large

Receiver
Small Large

Theese should keep you busy for a little while.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any dealers that anyone knows of that are somewhat close to the Border (Buffalo,NY)?

I dont know any Canadian zip codes, so I cant locate a dealer from up there. I am looking at the Studio 20's.

Is there any other speaker in this price range that is just as good, or better than the Paradigm?

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Jack I have a Denon 1603 which is fairly comperable in power 80w to your Yammi.

I feel it drives my Monitor 7s adequatley (another 20 GOOD watts would be a lot better. In stereo in my 12 X 20 room I can generate about 100 or so DB cleanly. In home theatre I feel with my PW2200 sub that I don't have a lot of headroom. It is certainly good sounding but I am up around -5 bd on the volume and would not want to go to 00 or above. I guess waht I am saying is that 75 80w is ceratinly OK but not a lot of extra room.

The 11s are very slightly more efficient than the 7s but with 75 watts they may be too big a speaker. If you are concened about efficiency why not take the route I did. Take the $$ difference you would spend to get the 11s and put it towards a PW 2200 sub. Let it take the load of the really deep bass and remove some of that drain from the amp. Personally I think 7s and a PW 2200 would be superior to just a set of 11s but that is just me.

I think you are right about the Studios. I demoed the 40s and thought they were fantastic BUT I listened to them both on an 2 X 80w Denon amp and there was a lage differnce in efficiency and I don't think 80w is enough and certainly not enough for Studios with DVD movies.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my studio60s hooked up last night to my denon 1802 (80wx5).

Efficiency wise, they're not as good as the titans were. I need to turn the volume up 6-8 db to be at the same level. But that said, I was watching movies at between -16 and -8 so I've still got some headroom to go.

I am in a smaller room though, so in a larger room, I can see me needing to push it a little harder, but I wouldn't anticipate hitting 00 very much, and staying near -24 - -16 for music.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Jamie, I already have an EBS Shiva sub, so there is minimal bass strain on the speakers as they are set to small.

I know you might say that in that case I might as well get 2 more mini monitors, but there's just something about floorstanders... Plus the price that I end up paying for speakers + stands is almost the same I would pay for 7's

BTW: You'll probably eat me alive for this, but Im driving the speakers with some cheapo 14g wire right now, would getting some quality stuff really make THAT much of a difference? Im no audiophile so if its barely noticible, IL just stick with the cheapo stuff.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that could drive the 7s OK especially since you have a sub. What I was trying to say was that 11s or Monitor series would not be driven nearly as well. I too went for the 7s over bookshelf because of the fact that they were about the same price as a bookshelf PLUS stands.

As for the wire prople seem kinda sensative about this topic but I will tell you what I have found with my 1603 and my 7s (and also past experience). If you have a set of bargin speakers and bargin amps like we do I cannot tell a sonic difference between decent bulk 12 gauge speaker wire I bought in a 100 foot roll for less than $1 per foot canadian and some fancy 2 or 3 hundred $ cables. With our type of equipment I just can't see it making a difference.

That said I would spring for some 12 gauge wire. I did notice a difference between the 12 and cheap wire that came with my old speakers. Stick with the cheop stuff but personally I'd spend the extra 10 or 20 cents a foot and make yourself some 12 gauge cables with banana clips or spades on the ends.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 100m roll of 14g and some spades and made my own cables, so Il just assume its good enough :)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the Paradigm purchase! I myself got a great deal on 9s this summer (in rosenut!)...I was wondering, since I haven't had to look at new speakers since then, are both the US and Canada all dealing Paradigm v3s now, or is the US still on v2? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks