Finally got my new receiver!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

First off I'd like to say that everyone here is great! You all have been alot of help over the last few weeks in helping me out with my questions. I just got my new receiver, a Harmam/Kardon AVR 320. It sounds just awesome! I upgraded from an old Pioneer Prologic reciever and am pretty impressed with all the stuff this reciever can do. Especially the logic 7, DPL2 and dts neo. Now the dd and dts sound much superior to any of the three above, but they sound pretty impressive when you consider they are creating 5 discrete channels from a 2 channel source. I'm pretty excited to watch tv in 5.1 surround, even if its not dd or dts. (btw do any tv shows or ppv movies ever get broadcast in dts?) I just wanted to share my new found enthusiasm with all of you, since all of you are helping me make better decisions on purchases I make.
    Now I just can't wait to get my new speakers. Paradigm or JMLab....who knows[​IMG]
    Nick L

2. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

good for you! i am glad to read you "blowing sunshine" because i just ordered the AVR 320 from onecall.com yesterday.

should be here thursday. what all do you have it hooked up to? what main speakers?

3. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Right now I have it hooked up to a pair of PSB Image 1b's(future rears) for the fronts and left over klipsch quartets for the center and surrounds. Even with the crappy Klipsch speakers it sounds so incredible. All the speakers sound much better than when they were hooked up to my old pioneer reciever. I haven't even hooked up all my gear yet, just the dvd player which doubles as my cd player. I have the analog outs run to the cd input for playing cd's and the digital coax out into the dvd for watching movies. That also makes it handy for doing a/b comparisons of the different surround modes dpl2/logic 7/dd/dts.

Nick L

4. Bernard Drapeau

What model (paradigm and JMLab)especially do you plan to buy? I'm curious isn't it? [​IMG]

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I think I'm going to go with the paradigm Mini Monitors for the fronts and the CC 370 for the center. The JM Lab speakers I haven't actually listened to yet, but I love focal car audio products. The JM's I'm going to look at are the Chorus 706's and the CC 700. The shop I'm going to go listen to the JM Lab speakers at also happens to be a paradigm shop. So it should be pretty easy to compare them. What ever I end up getting will be paired up with an svs 25-31cs. Should end up being a pretty nice setup!

Nick L

6. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Also add to that list the Jamo E 800 speaker and matching center. I am going to look at those too.

Nick L

7. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Nick - I've listened to the Paradigms and the JM Lab Chorus extensively. The Chorus 706's are way better IMHO. The real gem in the Chorus line of speakers is the center CC700. $ for $ I don't think you can find a thing better. I'd go as far as twice the price you can't find a thing better. I'm driving mine with a Yamaha RX-V1200 and have the 725's in the front with the CC700 and the 705's in the rear. I love it. Much like you I upgraded a long way from old stuff. Hope this helps. - Scott

8. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

That's awesome...glad to hear your good news! I have a brand-new H/K AVR320 on the Fed Ex truck....should get it tomorrow. Upgrading from an old H/K (forget the exact receiver) that had just the old pro-logic.