What's new

Finally Got My New RBH R55Ti 5.1 System w/SVS PB 1000 and Need Some Help w/Setup (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also...

Since your speakers are very capable...

Try Direct from time to time. Direct bypasses the bass management, so every channel on the BD is played back...as mixed by the recording engineer.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
My opinion...

Towers set 40. Center/surrounds 60(since you don't have 50. There aren't many AVR/prepro offering 50 anyway).

Subwoofer at 120. Subwoofer, in my opinion, should be ENTIRELY responsible for the .1 content. BD is "brickwalled" at 120Hz.

If you set it lower(play around. It is your equipment, your room...and most importantly, your ears)...this is what happens...

With the fronts set 40. Anything in that channel under 40 is passed to the sub. Same thing with center/rear at 60.

Sub(or LFE) content is NEVER higher than 120. So, if you set it 80, then over that...is passed to the towers and center/rear. If set 120...the subwoofer always handles the .1.

For future reference(you say you only play BD...so this won't apply to you very often...) with the towers set 40, 2.0 material won't have the much for the sub to do.
Here are all of my current settings.. Please take a look and let me know what you think, thanks:

Here is all of my current results and my room setup, as well as the initial results from my calibration with Audssey:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Given the efficiencies of the speakers(85 for the bookshelf and 88 for the towers, meaning the towers are twice as loud on the same power)...

Your db levels "look" correct(Im not there with a SPL meter to confirm...)

Your crossovers are where I would put them.

I would have left LFE at 0. Your +6 is likely cause you are used to "bass bloat"...(getting used to calibrated bass takes weeks...)

Are you using Zone 2?

On volume, I usually set that -40. Don't want to ever turn it on above -10...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the bottom picture, is that your subwoofer in the middle of the room? If so, that might be a cause of your problems. I'm not a subwoofer expert but subwoofer placement is critical. And the middle of the room isn't the best place for it :) .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
In the bottom picture, is that your subwoofer in the middle of the room? If so, that might be a cause of your problems. I'm not a subwoofer expert but subwoofer placement is critical. And the middle of the room isn't the best place for it :) .
He has more than 1 sub right now. I assumed the "11.5 feet" meant it wasn't the one in the picture.

Maybe I'm wrong...

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I don't know what Zone 2 means. Why is everyone else on the AVS forums saying that my towers need to be set at 80hz and center 80hz and rears at 100hz? Also, I moved the subwoofer to the corner wall so it sounds much better now!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Because AVS is a bunch of "THX guideliners".

I follow the ITU standard.

Google...

ITU 775 (long story short, use 5 identical full range speakers in a perfect circle, with the subwoofer in the proper spot for flat response)

BD is mastered according to the ITU standard.

Zone 2 is to use 2 channels in another room...independent of the 5.1. Like you want to play XBox(????) and she wants to listen to Maroon 5 in the bedroom...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Where to set the crossover is a personal choice thing. The higher the crossover settings the more active your subwoofer will be. Try setting the crossover on the fronts to 60, then 80 and then 100 and leave it where you like it the best. Besides, you have a really good subwoofer. I'd let it do what it was designed to do.

Personally, I like to use the same crossover setting for all speakers if at all possible. Just sounds more cohesive to me. Were all different and we all like different things. Play around with the settings a bit (it won't hurt anything) and do what sounds best to you, not us, not them, or anyone else.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
Where to set the crossover is a personal choice thing. The higher the crossover settings the more active your subwoofer will be. Try setting the crossover on the fronts to 60, then 80 and then 100 and leave it where you like it the best. Besides, you have a really good subwoofer. I'd let it do what it was designed to do.

Personally, I like to use the same crossover setting for all speakers if at all possible. Just sounds more cohesive to me. Were all different and we all like different things. Play around with the settings a bit (it won't hurt anything) and do what sounds best to you, not us, not them, or anyone else.
Gene and I, respectfully disagree, on the meaning of...

"I'd let it do what it was designed to do..."(regarding the sub...)

Ie, Gene and AVS...all the bass.

My interpretation...only the bass the sound mixer/engineer put in the .1 track(correlated to the capabilities of the other 5/7/9/11 speakers).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. Quick way to determine which way you want it, or a mixture of the two...

Three movies(if you got them)

Immortal Beloved. Ode to Joy where he runs to pond and floats.

Underworld:Awakening. Damn near the whole movie.

The Guillotines. The sequence where bombs start off in the distance, come into your room, then exit out the back.

The Guillotines is neutered if set a static 80hz. When I have played that sequence "THX guideline" then again as "ITU standard"(my theatre has 6 tower speakers capable of 40hz)...

Overwhelmingly...

"I'll take your advice and go full range speakers"...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Full range speakers all around would be ideal, but I know very few who can do that. Room acoustics, speaker and subwoofer placement and capability, and personal preference is what determines how I setup an avr. Just because a speaker is listed as going down to 40 hz doesn't mean it will in all rooms and it doesn't mean it will do it very well. In most cases a real good subwoofer will play the lower frequencies better then a tower speaker can. That's why I always recommend trying different settings and and using what ultimately sounds better. Sometimes it's a lower crossover setting and sometimes it's a higher one. I just don't believe one size fits all. To many variables.

It doesn't take very long to change the crossover settings in an avr. Try a few different ones and stick with the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Might be a lower one, might be a higher one. THX, DTS, DD, ITU, Engineers/Mixers, none of them used my room or my equipment to make their recommendations/decisions and they certainly didn't ask for my opinion. That's why I try as many different setting as I can find and do what sounds best to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks