Finally got HD but now I got questions about my 4:3 XBR....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Wolfman, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony 36XBR800 and I just upgraded to high definition (cablevision Ct). What mode should I watch TV in? When I go to the hidef channels, they are in regular 4:3 mode. shouldn't they be in 16:9? Is there something I need to set on the cablebox? All help is appreciated. Also, when I go into settings on the cablebox for the highdef channels, I have 3 choices 480i, 480p normal, 480p wide. Is there a way to get 1080i? I do not see an option for it. Once again, thx

2. John S

John S Producer

What is the model of your cable box? And you really do have the HDTV Cable service?

HiDef channels in Regular 4:3"?

When 4:3 is boradcast on HD feeds, it is boxed on the sides, so if you have a 4:3 set it will be boxed Top, Bottom, and sides.

3. Josh Wolfman

I am not sure which model it is- I am at work right now. BUT there are 3 options when viewing hidef on my cablebox settings:

1. scrunched with bars on the left and the right (this makes absolutely no sense to me)

2. boxes on the top, bottom, left, and right

3. Normal picture which fills my 4:3 screen ( I have it set on this right now)

4. John S

John S Producer

I think #2 is the native widescreen. When your broadcaster broadcasts real 16:9 HD. And, I have resigned myself to watch the 4:3 with bars on the sides, as any attempt to make it any different changes the geometry, which I really hate.

I can say, that your cable box, sounds like it is not the HD Cable box, Digital cable is not the same thing as Cable HD....

5. Josh Wolfman

It is definitely the hidef box....I am using the component outputs- something the digital box on my Hitachi does not have.

6. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

That's "crop" mode. It's cutting off the sides of the picture. Doesn't make a difference on 4x3 material (it's just getting rid of the left/right bars) but on 16x9 HD material you'll be losing a chunk of the picture.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Post the make and model number of your HD cable box. Then we can probably help you set it so you get HD. Unless we know what box it is, we are in the dark.

8. Josh Wolfman

I am at work now...i will post the model number tonight BUT i think i got it! I went back and read the manual that came with the box- in the manual it stated that if you had the box professionally installed (which I did for $30.00) u don't have to set anything up. Anyway- I pressed info and guide at the same time and it went into a setup mode. From here it sent out signals in different hidef formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) for 20 seconds at a time. If you could see the picture then u clicked save- otherwise it would not save and therefore not give u the format option while watching cable. (I hope I am making sense). Anyway, now I have the option of watching a channel in 480i standard, 480p standard, 480i widescreen, 480p widescreen, 720p widescreen, and 1080i widescreen. The problem I got now is that I can't set a format to a channel. In other words, when I am watching HBOHD in 720p and then switch to MTV, the format stays on 720p and there are boxes on top and bottom and on laft and right. Is there any advantage to watching a normal digital channel in 480p standard? Does the hidef cable box convert any of these pictures? Should I just use 480i standard on normal channels? Sorry for rambling but I got questions. Also, one more....I am under the assumption that 720p is better than 1080i- is this what I should be watching on hidef or does it vary with program content and channel? I read that some stations broadcast in different hidef formats. Thanks.

9. Josh Wolfman

I have the explorer 4200HD cable box on my XBR and the explorer 4200 cable box on my Hitachi.

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the show is 720p and your TV paints the screen only in 1080i somebody has to do the converting. Typically the TV takes in all, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, and converts the first 3 to 1080i. Except probably nobody knows whether the cable box does a better job of converting from 720p to 1080i (if you chose 1080i) than the TV does. You will have to experiment.

Some TV's don't accept 720p so you have to choose 1080i on the cable box.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm