What's new

FINALLY got girlfriend to sign off on FP purchase. Pull trigger now, or...? (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Should I wait for CEDIA next month to see what else is on the horizon?

I've had my heart set on a Z1 for EVER, and now that my wife-to-be has finally aqreed we should shell out for one, I'm hesitating because I know CEDIA is right around the corner. I want to use the projector for DVDs and Xbox exclusively, and it seems like the Z1 meets my needs, but I know I'd hate myself if something better for around the same price (about $1200 now) shows up in Sept....but I'm so tired of waiting...

Should I wait or should I buy now?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
If your budget is 'cemented' at that $1200 number, then buy now. It looks like most of the fun new stuff is going to be be in the $2k and above.

Personally, I am teetering on the edge. If the Z2 comes in at sub $2k, I'll wait for that one. If not, it'll be the Z1 :)

RG

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Larry:

I would wait. Not for the new projectors to be in your price range but for the new projectors to make the older models cheaper. They have already dropped a bunch but when the newer models come out the older ones may drop even further just so they can get rid of their inventories. Besides since you have waited this long a couple more months shouldn't be that hard.

Parker

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Thanks for your response, Parker, but...a couple more months? Doesn't Cedia start next week? I know new models that are introduced at Cedia don't always come out right away, but I don't think I could wait a couple more months...I think I want to see what the deal is with the Z2, maybe find out if the Z1 price is going to drop, but either way I'm pretty much determined to make a purchase in Sept. I've lived too long with my non-hd/non-prog/non-component-in 27 inch analog set as it is...Thanks again for weighing in!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
That is my only problem ....I am ready to buy but do I wait in case prices drop more on some of the lower end projectors.....like the z1 or 300u....

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The problem with electronics is that if you wait all the time for the best price for the best product you are going to be disappointed all the time. If you really have been waiting to get the Z1, 300u or any other projector for that matter now is a good of a time as any, that will probably happen in the near future, when it comes to price.

Larry:

What I meant was that there is always a couple of months lag time before you start to see if prices are going to drop further on the low prices that are already out there. If you are really set on getting the Z1 now is as good a time as any.

Parker

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Larry:

It took me almost four months to get a Sony HS10 after it was introduced at Cedia. The new Sony HS20 has just been announced and is even capable of doing 1080p.

Time for me to upgrade:d

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Thanks for all the additional input, everyone! I think I'm just going to wait for Cedia to end, then if there aren't any amazing announcements in the sub $2000 range, pull the trigger on the Z1...Looks like we're in the same boat, ChadLB...good luck to us both.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Larry,
I don't want to spend more than 2,000 on the FP and I would prefer less so that the rest of the money could go into a new dvd player, new wires, and money into the diy screen and whatever else needs to be done for the FP....

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
If you can wait, Money magazine just said that the January sales are the best time to buy electronics. And since the prices will drop before Christmas anyway, you could end up saving a bunch if you can wait until January 1.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
My girlfriend would kill me if she heard me say this, Torgny, but no way I can wait till January. I mean, I COULD, but I really don't want to...it isn't so much the saving money that I'm worried about, although I'm not exactly rich (wait, scratch that, no "exactly" about it) it's just that I don't want to spend the money only to find out that for the same price or maybe just a little bit more I could have had an even better projector. THAT would probably drive me crazy...Whatever I do I hope to hell I can just buy the projector and then forget about all the other projectors that are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks