What's new

Finally Got around to The Last Starfighter (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Guess I can't complain got it as a freebie from CH. It's probably the best we'll ever get the film but it was a tad softer and Grainier than I expected. It's tough to see any film from that period look good. Hell 70's films look sharper and clearer. The 5.1 was a faily nice mix for the age of the film. The extras were'nt bad. If you can get it cheap ($34.95 list) then by all means pick it up. It brought me back to my youth, if just for a bit.
------------------
My DVD Collection
The Megaplex
My Equipment List

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I think it is a great presentation of the film myself. Certainly the best I have ever seen it in my short 24 year life.
In fact this has been one of my most spun discs. I think its a good transfer. And almost watched it tonight, but opted for Ferris Bueller being in my 80s mood tonight.
-- Matt

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I love this disk. Sure, the transfer isn't dazzling, but it's not bad either. Considering the age of the film and it's relative cult status, I'd say it's been treated pretty well. Tons of great extra features to be found on the disc too, an excellent directors commentary, a great making of documentary, lots of still photos, trailers and production notes. You really couldn't expect a better special edition :)
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
lotrsig.jpg

[Edited last by Geoffrey_A on October 31, 2001 at 12:51 AM]

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm humiliated that this DVD hasn't found its way onto my beloved "80's shelf" alongside such childhood favorites as The Goonies, The Beastmaster, Krull, Sword and the Sorcerer and Battle Beyond the Stars.
I have GOT to get this one!
(Anyone else have all five of those DVDs also? :) )
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

mark_d

Second Unit
Is this one anamorphic?
I caught the end of it on TV the other day and this is a film that needs to be seen in it's OAR. Love the score, too.
Always enjoyed this flick since I saw it originally at the cinema - although I thought that the graphics in the game he plays were far too advanced to be believeable - I mean, we'll never have those sort of free-roaming 3D worlds in a mere video game...
blush.gif

Mark

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote: Always enjoyed this flick since I saw it originally at the cinema - although I thought that the graphics in the game he plays were far too advanced to be believeable - I mean, we'll never have those sort of free-roaming 3D worlds in a mere video game...
Mark,
I thought the same thing. See the linked thread to see how wrong we were (or don't, if you've been avoiding Rogue Leader screenshots)!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000678.html
Wow!
On topic, I really need to pick up this disc. Been wanting it a long time now.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on October 31, 2001 at 03:09 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: I'm humiliated that this DVD hasn't found its way onto my beloved "80's shelf" alongside such childhood favorites as The Goonies, The Beastmaster, Krull, Sword and the Sorcerer and Battle Beyond the Stars.
I have GOT to get this one![/quote]
I WOULD feel the same way, but I'm not so fond of it that I'm willing to pay $27.99 (or more) street price for it. I've been posting on and off for a couple of months that it's long past time for Universal to drop the price on this puppy, along with others like Field of Dreams.
Well, Universal just announced a price drop on several titles, including FoD, scheduled for March 2002, down to an SRP of $19.95!! (Current SRP: $34.95)
TLS? Nope....
....I'll wait. If noone gets it for me for Christmas, I'll resume my hunt for a pristine copy of it in the used DVD stores.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
[Edited last by David Lambert on October 31, 2001 at 05:01 AM]

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Anyone else have all five of those DVDs also?
The Goonies, The Beastmaster, Krull, Sword and the Sorcerer and Battle, and Beyond the Stars.
Guily of ownership. Add Timerider, The Last Dragon, Dreamscape, Masters of the Universe, Short Circuit I & II, Parasite, and Midnight Madness (as well as countless others) to the 80's must-have cheese collection.
------------------
"If you can't hunt with the big dogs, stay on the porch with the puppies."

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I could post how you could get Last Starfighter plus 6 other DVDs for under $10 each, but no one would listen to me, and the ones that would listen, would just say "its not worth it", or "theres probably some catch." So I wont.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No, I won't screw around with Columbia House anymore, either. I've had too much "fun" with them in the past to bother ever again.
Titles from the '80's? Ho, boy! 227 of my DVD's are from the '80's!! That's the era I discovered movies, so naturally my favorite films are from that decade.
Some of the "cheese" I have, besides the 5 titles mentioned (I have them all), are:
9 to 5, Airplane!, Blame it on Rio, Blue Thunder, Caddyshack, Cannonball Run, Desperately Seeking Susan, Earth Girls are Easy, The Idolmaker (P&S...grrr!), LifeForce, Porky's, Red Dawn, Runaway, Swamp Thing, Videodrome, Working Girl, and Xanadu!
...and that's just SOME of the highlights! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
"Is this one anamorphic?"
Yes it is Mark.
It actually holds up very nice on my 106" screen. May just have to fire up the disc again this weekend.
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
You mean Columbia House?
Yes, I meant Columbia House. The post right after this one relays the seniments that a LOT of people have about Columbia House, they either hate them, or just dont understand how the club works. I mean, Im not saying theyre a perfect company, Ive gotten messed up discs from them before, but theyve always fixed their problems without any questions asked. Im sure that some people out there have legitimate reasons for hating them, but I think that too many people unfairly criticize them.
Either way, it doesnt bother me any. I dont lose any sleep over it. But I'll keep enjoy paying less than $10 for movies like T2:UE, Clerks, Last Starfighter, Happy Texas, and many, many, others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks