What's new

Finally going to buy an HDTV Set..... (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everybody. I have been drooling over HDTV's for some time now, and I am now ready to finally plunk down my money on a new set. I am tired of looking at my JVC 27 inch TV from accross the room. I was going to buy one last year when I still lived in an apartment, but I held off so I wouldn't have to move it to my house. Well, anyway, once I bought my house and started spending all my money on the house, I just couldn't justify a 2000 dollar TV purchase, no matter how hard I tried. I know if I don't buy one now, the same thing will happen, I should have a child on the way some time next year.

Well, enough about that, this is what I will be doing with it.....

Watching DirecTV standard and High Definition material, playing lots of DVD's, and playing some xbox and gamecube on it.

I am looking for something around 50 inches, and I am leaning towards a DLP set.

I am going to start getting very serious about my research, but I wanted to post here, knowing some of you will be able to give me some tips about purchasing. Back when I first started looking, I was checking out the Samsung DLPs. I have been distancing myself from TV's to keep tempation away, so I am behind now in what are the best sets to get.

Can you guys just point me in the right direction? I assume DLP would be the best bet, since I will be playing video games. No burn in, right? I would like to try to stay in the low 2000 dollar price point if possible?

Should I be concerned about 1080p? Should I also check out LCD rear projections?

Sorry about the vauge nature of this thread, and thankyou for any help that you guys can throw my way....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Definitely check out LCD rear projectors and LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon) rear projectors. (Marketed as SXDR by Sony and D-ILA by JVC.)

1080p is a tricky question. Do a search and you'll find several threads on the topic. One good thing about the arrival of 1080p even if you don't go for it - it will help drive down the price of comparable 720p sets. Personally I'm leaning towards the 1080p Sony Grand Wega SXRD 50" for about $3500. But I keep going back and forth in my own mind on that. In the long run it may be cheaper to go 720p now and upgrade to 1080p in five years than to buy the 1080p today. I'll have to think some more about this one. :)

Later,

Joe

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have any other suggestions? thanks for the help.

I also picked up Sound & Vision's new buyer guide as well

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Don't know of any particular brands to avoid, but based on my own observations and recommendations from others in this general size range for 720p and 1080p sets (DLP, LCD or LCoS) I've looked closely at Samsung, Sony, JVC, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi. I've previously been happy with Toshiba televisions, but nobody around here carries any of the comparable Toshiba sets, so I haven't been able to check them out.

Regards,

Joe

John S

Senior HTF Member
In displays, overly bright should be able to be tammed for the most part with user adjustment. The other problem of not being bright enough is way worse to fix. :)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Would you consider a CRT based display? If you are trying to be price savy, I offer up the Samsung HC-R4755W. I couldn't justify spending 2-3K for a DLP or LCD of similar size. I've owned one of these for a little over a month. For around a grand, I couldn't be happier. 720P, tabletop design so it takes up about as much space as a DLP or LCD projection display. I'm not a gamer though, so take that into consideration.

-Dave

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem with that is I plan to some a lot of video gaming on it. Burn in would be very bad for that. But thanks for the suggestion.

How are the black levels on these Lcos sets?

MikeUp

Agent
You may want to spend some time thoroughly reading the "official burn-in thread" on this forum before making that one of your primary criterion in choosing a TV. I was concerned about that issue as well, but reading that thread has helped me conclude that it is far less of an overall concern, or even specifically in gaming, than I previously thought.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
well, price is really what is keeping me away from plasma.

Hey, being you are a gamer, do you notice any lag while playing games on DLP's or Lcos sets?

I am considering the 50 inch samsung DLP, but heard of some having lag issues with certain games

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks