Finally going to buy a subwoofer, but will everything in my room rattle annoyingly?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McLaughlin, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Just wondering. What are your experiences with items rattling in the room because of bass? Loose items like knicknacks & pictures hanging on walls, I can handle. What I am worried about having to dampen glass panes in my window frames, closet doors that rattle in their frames and other expensive stuff like that. How big of a problem can this get?

(BTW, I'm planning on going the SVS route for my sub).

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

You may have some problems with rattling items. I know I did when I received my SVS. The trick is to figure out what rattles and do something to stop it.

I doubt things on shelves or tables will rattle much. If anything, you'll have a problem with pictures on the wall. Here's a tip: If you havethis problem, run to the store and pick up some square velcro pads. Then stick one on each corner of the picture. That should stop the noise.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I haven't had much of a problem with stuff on shelves. How old is your house. I think the age of your windows (and hence their design) will make you very happy or very angry.

I have windows and french style doors from the late 50's. They rattled badly. I solved the french door by removing it (nice thing about being a single male university student and caring more about function over form). The windows I solved by inflating bike tire inner tubes between the storm windows and the inside windows (I'll hopefully get some better pictures of this up on my webpage tomorrow).

This solved the problem for music. But over 110dB @ 20hz movie explosions shake the whole house, so little I can do to prevent the walls from shaking. This problem will depend on how much you spend on your sub, not many can do 110dB at 20hz.

I also had a heat sheild in my halogen lamp rattle, solved that with some rolled duck tape under it's edges.

Flourescent or track lighting fixtures as well as suspended ceilings can also be quite annoying and very hard to quiet.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Finally got those better pictures taken. Don't ever forget to use the flash when taking a picture of a window from inside to a bright outside and then not check the result before it gets dark and you won't have access to the digital camera for another week :p)
    [​IMG]
    Oh, the wires and foam do next to nothing (that was the first unsuccessful attempt at preventing window rattle), just haven't bothered to take them off yet. But with inner tubes in the windows who cares [​IMG]

5. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I have huge problems with my windows rattling and what not. Ordered an SVS tonight and I'm just dreading the walkthrough I'll have to make to make everything kosher.

6. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

If you actally DO like rattle, I recommend first purchasing a 1991 honda civc hatchback.

proceed to paint it bright purple, and place random stickers on it such as "Honda", in order to ensure that people driving down the street really know it's a honda.

drop 6 inches to make entering driveways impossible.

buy a 5 inch diameter chrome tipped tailpipe to ensure full breathing performance, and maximum lawnmowerlike sound potential from the 92 hp powerhouse under the hood.

subsequently, purchase Jensen amps, and 4 ported Jensen subs.

fold down the rear seats to facilitate placement of the subs, in doing so transforming the car into a true, 2-seat, high performance sports coupe.

acquire several latin music CD's.

place in discman velcro'd to dashboard, and play at levels suitable for the urban environment.

place head near rear deck lid.

enjoy.

if you dont want rattle- I just put duct tape on the one window and frame that rattles and thats all i need to stop it. reglazing a window would work if its really bad, but thats kind of involved.