Finally getting broadband!!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
After 6 years of waiting on Southwestern Bell (AT&T) and being promised every 6 months that broadband would be available in my area within 6 months, I'm finally getting connected...but not by AT&T. A few weeks ago I was contacted by my ISP because I had inquired several times over the past couple years about broadband availability, and each time was told SWB/AT&T doesn't offer anything where I live so they couldn't help me with anything but dial-up. (My ISP is in another city 15 miles away but I have a local dial-up number.)

Anyway, they called and said they had recently installed a wireless tower/antenna about 8 blocks from my house and asked if I would like to have a technician check my location for a good wireless signal. The test showed a good signal and I set up an install for this Tuesday (12/19). Unless there are any unforseen problems, I'm gonna be highspeed tomorrow.

They offer 4 speeds (512kbps, 1mps, 2mps & 3mps) and I am told the wireless is very reliable, much more than satellite. I am signing up for the 1m package which the tech said is both upstream and downstream speed, since it's the most reasonable priced for true broadband. I hope 1m up/down is fast enough for online gaming, but if it isn't, I'll bump up to 2mps. (At any rate, it'll beat my 56k dial-up with a real downstream speed of 2kbps on a good day!)

Just for giggles, I called AT&T Friday afternoon and asked when they would be offering broadband in my area. The customer service rep told me 6 months.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Congratulations, and welcome out of the Stone Age. Remember though that speed is addictive

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Clinton

That is great. I lived with dial up for about 5-7 years and it was a real pain in the butt. I've switched between cable and DSL and cable is great, but right now I have a decent deal on 768K DSL. I get true download speed of about 735K and it is good enough for now.
If the phone company raises my rate any more I will probably switch to Comcast Cable. They offer 4M for $20/month for 6 months.

I may have to switch back and forth but that is another pain...

I'm sure you will just love broadband.

Happy Holidays

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Sounds like good Christmas news there. Just gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, right here!

I'd lose it if I lost my 20 mbits down / 1 mbit up, but 1/1 isn't horrifying. Congratulations.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You are a man of great patience and fortitude. If I were in your shoes, I would have moved already. Just for broadband. Seriously.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I actually considered buying a house a while back, and when I figured out I'd have a heck of a time getting broadband there I walked away from it. Granted, my plans weren't THAT advanced, but even so.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm so glad I was able to take advantage of EarthLink offering me 1.5 mbps ADSL back in the late summer of 2005 when I had the chance.

Frankly, you really do need broadband nowadays--too many commercial web sites assume you have a broadband connection. (ESPN.com is a very good example of this.) Thanks to broadband, I can download podcasts quickly and listen to them on my Creative Zen Nano Plus 512 MB player.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
If you are into gaming, Id highly suggest that you ditch it in the future for something better(non wireless), while it will be tons faster than dial up, wireless really isnt designed for gaming, but you may be close enough too the tower that it wont matter. the main concern in wireless gaming is latency. I really wish I could get verizon FIOS in my neighborhood, you would think that living in the middle of yuppyville would make that some kind of possibility.Ever since AT&T took over SBC my dsl hasnt been as stable here. Congrats on your new gamin goodness thou. what games do you play? maybe we could get a group of folks too frag together

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
Mike, the only line-based thing available here is VERY SLOW dial-up. (Read: information travels at half the speed of smell.) I have direct line of sight to the tower which is 8 blocks away (roughly a half-mile) so I think response time will be fine. As far as games, I used to play Ultima Online back in the day and I tried Star Wars Galaxies (quite interesting on dial-up). I bought an Xbox 360 last year but sold it in July because the vast majority of the games were targeted at a broadband audience, of which I figured I would never be a part of. Now I'm contemplating buying another 360 this spring and trying online gaming at it's best. I'm also looking forward to D&D online and whatever else tickles my fancy.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
Finally got the equipment installed this afternoon. I didn't think it was going to happen today since it was raining from the time I got up this morning, but a break in the rain of about 4 hours was enough time for the tech to install the antenna receiver and set it up. I signed up for the 1mbps speed but when I ran a speed test, I'm hitting a constant 2.4mbps and even spiked to 4.1mbps!

The forum opens so much faster now, I'm just ecstatic!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

heh, how true. I remember looking for the cablevision trucks all over town, hoping we would get Optimum soon. Now, a few years afterward, I was thinking... 'Get those IO trucks out... where's Verizon with my FIOS?'

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Heh, we finally got broadband down the shore around 2004, when we had it up north since about 2001. I finally get to ditch all my modems with their scratchy sound!

I love being down by the beach, and get there as often as possible... but with dial up, I really wanted to get back north as it was extremely tough to get used to again! It's amazing how quickly we get used to modern conveniences and how spoiled we get by them. In 1999, I didn't even have a computer down there full time, when I had one up north since 1993
. What did I ever do without one?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Congratulations!

Actually, for online gaming, ping time matters more than throughput rates. Oddly enough, your ping times may go up slightly compared to dialup, or may be about the same. Your online gaming experience won't change much from what you're used to unless you had a dirty phone line that dropped its connection a lot. You will not notice any difference in online gaming between 1mbps or 2mbps, but patches sure as heck will download faster.

When you get it installed, you should celebrate by camping out at YouTube and watching as many pointless and stupid videos as you can. The more pointless, the better.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo