Finally Floorstanding!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ganesh, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Here's my experience so far in my search for the right speakers for me...
    I started off on a big home theater quest about a little over a month back. Compared Aperions, Axioms and Ascends and found Axioms better than Aperions, Ascends better than Axioms. But I still wasn't satisfied as the lower-mid and mid-mid base that I was looking for was still missing in these speakers. And the Ascend's 340 with the matching stands were as big as tower speakers, so I thought why not try floorstanding speakers! I went to CC and checked out some floorstanding speakers, nothing very impressive. And then I went to Tweeters and checked out the new line of speakers from Boston Acoustics, which are much less expensive than their high-end VR-M series. Found them very impressive and brought home a VR-1. And holy smokes, what a DIFFERENCE!
    These VR-1's were so MUCH better (much more low-mid and mid-mid base, the vocals are so much better, even the high freq is better, so much more dispersion, warm and rich) that all the bookshelf speakers I had, sounded so unbelievably thin in comparison!
    I mean, I did know the floorstanding speakers generally sound warmer compared to bookshelves, but never had I expected so much difference, especially in this price range ($600 list). (In fact, the VR01 works out cheaper for me if I consider say the Ascend's 340 plus the stands)
    So, I've sent all the bookshelf speakers back and bought the VR-1's. (As irony would have it, I got speakers shipped to me from Calif, Canada, ... and bought speakers made by a company that is 20 miles drive from where I live!)
    BTW, in my quest I also got Odyssey's Epiphony speakers (I had already ordered them but got them after I bought the VR-1's). The Ephiphony's were the best for lower,mid-mid base of all the bookshelf speakers that I compared, but the Epiphonies are much more power hungry and I had to crank the level really high to get decent amount of volume from these. But even these Epiphonies sounded so undoubtedly thin in comparison to my VR-1's.
    So, I've finished my quest for my fronts (I've no time or inclination to compare floorstanding speakers now, but from the floorstanding speakers I've heard in stores so far, I've convinced myself that I won't get a better deal for this price.)
    I've also bought my center speakers from BA, the VR-C model. This speaker is also very good and a good match for my fronts.
    My surrounds are Axioms QS-8's, they are great.
    So on to the final missing piece, I will start looking for my SUB ...

Thanks for all the help I got from this forum, especially from people like Curtis. Hope to get more info from you guys on my SUB soon, will be back with questions on that.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Ganesh,

I am glad you have found audio happiness!!

When I first skimmed your post, I thought it was the Von Schweikert VR-1's you found. But I guess there are two VR-1's I have to listen to now.

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Happened to me too when I was looking for some reviews of Boston Acostics VR-1's, only hit upon Von Schweikert's VR-1's. In general, there is very little (almost nothing) about Boston Acoustics in this forum. AVS forum has a little bit more about BA but not a lot.

Ganesh.

4. Jason Kolczak

I listened to the VR1s at Tweeter and they were awesome. I did a comparison to the VR2 and VR965 and thought the VR1s were the best. They completely blew the 965s out of the water. When I did an A/B comparison, the 965s sounded way too bright, they were missing something in the midrange, and the bass didn't sound like it was supposed to.. too boomy (probably a positioning problem though). The VR1s made me want to sit there and just pop in new CDs so I could hear what I've been missing. As far as the VR2s, I don't believe they were broken in at all, and when I went back a couple of days later, one of them wasn't working, so I'm not sure how they'll sound compared to its cheaper sibling when properly setup.

I'm also going to get the VRC, but was thinking about getting the Boston Bravo's as surrounds.

What kind of deal did they give you on the VR1 and VRC? And did they have any of them in the cherry finish?

5. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I listened to all three, the VR-1, VR-2 and VR-3. I thought the VR-2's sounded a little better than the VR-1's and the VR-3's little more better than the VR-2's. Meaning, the difference between the VR-3 and the VR-2 was more than that of VR-2 and VR-1 to my ears. But value for money, you just can't beat the VR-1's. Tweeter was running an additional 10% off the list price when I bought the VR-1's and the VR-C.
    I did see the VR-3's in cherry finish (VR-1,2,3 all come in that finish), they looked very good, but the finish was too red for my rest of the furniture. And since I had Axiom surrounds, the best color for me to match all was black. Also the VR-C's come in only black.
    I listened to the Bravo's, but I definitely prefer the Axiom QS-8's to the Bravos.

6. Jason Kolczak

I was thinking I should get at least 10% off (hoping for 15%since I took a friend there and he's buying from the Boston's too, but they probably won't take that much off for me). Did you listen to the VR-MX surrounds with them at all? How do the Axiom surrounds sound with the Boston's? Can you tell they're not matched?

I wish the VR-1 came in the same color as the VRM series. Those are some beautiful speakers.

7. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I didn't even listen to the VR-MX speakers at all, since they were much more expensive than what I was planning to spend for the surrounds.
    Yes, the VR-M series are extremely good looking speakers, but VR-1's aren't bad either in their red cherry finish. Only problem is there is no matching center/surrounds/SUB's for those.
    BTW, this new line of speakers VR-1,2,3's seem to be competing with the VR-M series directly. The VR-1's for example are much better than the VR-M60 bookshelf speakers (of course these are very good for bookshelf speakers, but way too expensive IMO), for about half the money! And I heard from my friend that the VR-3's are better than even the VR-M90's at again less than half price! So, I guess BA has to keep the difference in the looks to have any price justification at all!
    And as for the Axiom surrounds, since I use them mostly for HT, they blend in quite well. In fact, even for 5-ch stereo they blend in and the music fills up the room quite uniformly (I have their db's turned up by 2). But I don't know how they will perform in DVD-A/SACD setup.