What's new

Finally fired up my new B&K AVR507...yeah! (1 Viewer)

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Simply breathtaking sound! Previously, I had a very capable Sony STRDA50ES (100 x 5 of Sony power), then I got the 507 and some back surrounds...holy Toledo!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

The 'warm' sound that people here have used to describe B&K is pretty accurate, but the DETAIL in the sound is extraordinary. Not to mention having a TON of headroom (haven't even turned it up past -25 yet, will have some fun tomorrow though) :D

This thing just sings, and really brings the system together in a way my good ol' Sony could not. The panning between speakers is just seamless, and the flexibility of the unit is astounding, yet I found the system setup to be really easy to work with (I didn't go into the really deep stuff with it yet).

I wasn't sure what to expect as a level of improvement over my Sony, as I've never owned a piece of gear of this quality before. The difference is startling, not subtle, and DEFINITELY for the better. I'm extremely pleased! Even my wife could hear the difference and appreciate the quality! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lovin it to death,
Dan

PS Speakers are M&K all around; two pairs of SS150s, fronts are S125s, center is a S100B, sub is a MX150IITHX.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Congratulations on your new toy. Have always loved the 'warm' B&K sound and of course the flexibility is un rivalled. Also the customer support is top notch in the industry so I am sure this will keep you happy for a long long time.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Yogi :) I'm really enjoying my system!

I can see what you 6.1/7.1 guys are going on about...hard to imagine going back to 'just' 5.1 again!

I'm also really impressed with DPLII on Dolby Surround sources like my satellite dish; man, it sounds cool!

Cheers,
Dan

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Dan. you sound the same way I did when I went from my Yamaha RXV595 to my AVR307.

Congrats on the new TOY.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Mark!

Say, are you supposed to set the room equalization from the listening position, or walk around the room trying to even out the bumps...it's a little confusing,but my intuition tells me to do it from the listening position, right? The manual isn't terribly clear on the process of notch-filtering, but I'm thinking you just use the SPL meter in much the same way as I did for the speaker level setup? Just trying to get those various tones to come out even on the SPL meter?

Thanks, sorry if this question has been done to death already :)

Cheers,
Dan

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark...I've been fooling with it quite a bit and have things sounding pretty darn good :emoji_thumbsup:

The thing is that anytime you upgrade your system like this you spend days going through your DVD collection again
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Cheers,
Dan

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
You can say that again. I noticed things in movies I never heard before going from the Yama to the B&K and even more so when I went from my B&K to my TAG McLaren Audio set up. The one scene that really got me (when I went from the yama to the B&K) was in the mummy when Brandon Frasier was looking up at the Statue of ENUBIS (sp) and then all the sand starts Kicking up. I never heard it before but I could hear a low Voice Circling the Room whispering YOUR GONNA DIE or something like that.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, for me this past weekend one of those moments was in Independence Day at the very beginning. As the mothership flies over the moon, I could actually hear the moondust sifting from the vibrations. All I could hear before was just the rumbling bass and music.

Another thing, and this relates to the 'amazing what a little power can do' thread, is the dynamics. Going from dialog to shooting guns was cool on the Sony, but on the B&K it's like someone's really firing in my room! The separation, panning, 'digital pickup', detail, clarity, punch, volume, all better with NO strain or distortion.

Suh-weet!

ErichH

Screenwriter
Dan,
You lucky dog. Wait till you start tweaking the notch filter for your sub. You'll love it!
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks