Finally finished my Shiva/AVA250 sub!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cam S, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Well, it took about a 2 weeks to complete it, I was pretty busy but it only took about 15 hours total to finish it. I neglected to put bracing in the box, even though I had cut 2 pieces of MDF to go inside it, but my best friend said I wouldn't need it [​IMG] I put a bunch of 1x2's in there anyway and that seems to have worked.
    My initial impressions were pretty good as I was not expecting this much bass from a 12" sub!!! MY GOD! I put a cd in that I made with 10 second MP3's of HZ ranging from 10hz to 99hz. I tried the 20hz clip but couldn't hear a thing, but a few seconds into the clip I heard something fall upstairs, turns out it knocked one of my mom's clay masks from mexico off the shelf, hahaha.
    I wasn't too sure if music would be good with this sub but I was WRONG, I played all kinds of music ranging from R&B, rap, heavy metal, oldies etc etc and I was VERY impressed with how it sounded, not boomy at all, extremely tight and LOUD!
    I havn't had a chance to watch a full DVD movie yet, but I did watch the pod race scene in TPM and had the same earth shaking bass I was getting with the music. Man I love this thing!!!
    I didn't put any Polyfill or foam liner in the box, as I didn't have any on hand, but would this make much of a difference.
    I also have to finish up the laminate edges a bit, as some of the contact cement is still there, easy to rub off, just need to find the time.
    Here are some pics of it, comments welcome.
    http://communities.msn.ca/Camshumbleabode/shoebox.msnw
    PS. Thanks for all your help guys I couldn't have done it without you all, especially Kyle Richardson!!!!

2. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations! It looks really good!

-Nick

3. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

clean sharp look, very nice indeed. love the cherry.

4. farnamT

farnamT Agent

You may not need any more bracing, but I think adding some fiberglass to the walls could possibly help. They say polyfill is not need for ported boxes, only sealed.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Uh, Fiberglass would be a VERY bad idea. The box is ported so some fiberglass may get shot out of the port, and that stuff ain't good to breathe.

6. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

Looks great Cam S.........your right it does look a little like the one im doing. yours looks a little deeper though. mine is only a 3.15^3 box.
    http://home.neo.rr.com/joekelli/sub1.jpg
    cant wait to finish mine. hope it looks as good as yours!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

ya mine is 23" deep, and the total volume is about 3.7 cuft.

8. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Looks great Cam. I'm glad it is working good for you but you better be nice to your mom for the next little while to make up for the mask [​IMG]

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

hehe, she doesn't know and never will, shhhhh [​IMG]
    Hey Kyle, if you want you can use my pics on your website like you did with the other poeple that purchased subs from you. That would be really cool actually.

10. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I'm curious about the FP4 port kit. Is it specifically designed for small enclosures? Like instead of being a straight port, it's L-shaped or something similar to the port tube shown in Joe Meissner's photo. How would one go about calculating the volume of such a tube?

Vinh

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Glad it all worked out Cam. Looks good too. Gives new perspective on your old KSW10 now doesn't it [​IMG]
    Vin, the FP4 is a port kit from Adire. It consists of a flare that goes from 4" to 6.25" in diameter. Then another flare that does the same but adds a flange with 4 screw holes that goes out to 7.5" (so the first flare will fit through the hole it requires for mounting). Then it has a 12" straight 4" pipe and two couplers to connect the pipe to the flares. Over all length of the port is 18" when assembled, and effective length for calculating tuning is 17". You can cut the center pipe down as much as desired or you could request and extra peice of pipe and coupler to change the tuning.

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Man the KSW-10 seems to have no output now that I have heard real bass.
    I'm officially addicted [​IMG]

13. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Hi Cam,

Very impressive looking sub. Was it hard to do the veneer? Have you done any measurement of your sub output level yet?

Derrick

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Derrick, that isn't veneer, it's actually Formica Laminate in a Wild Cherry woodgrain finish. I bought a 4x8 foot sheet of it and cut it up with a laminate scoring knife and then used contact cement to glue the laminate on. After gluing a panel, I'd flush trim it with a router and a flush trim bit. It was fairly simple to do, just a little time consuming. It took me about 5 hours to do the laminate, but I took my time.

BTW, the amp is the Adire Audio AVA250 if you didn't know.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

And no, I havn't been able to take any measurements yet as I don't have a ratshack SPL meter. I'll be getting one pretty soon though [​IMG]

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Does anyone else have any idea's as to how I can put some decent bracing in the box? Also, how much of a difference would it make if I put eggcrate foam on the inner walls, or Polyfill rolls??