What's new

Finally did the Avia adjustments on my TV (1 Viewer)

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
Samsung TXL 3676. The least I can say is "WOW". It's true that the image seem a lot darker overall at first, but what a difference in quality. I just watched it for one night and now I can't imagine watching the other mode. When you guys were talking about "torch" mode on showroom I wasn't really sure what you were talking about, but with my new set I can switch from my "personnel "setting to the standard setting............and let me know it isn't a pretty sight, there is a strong temptation to put my sunglasses on!!!!

Rob
Mtl

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
You should get very similar results using the SV HTT patterns. The video test patterns were designed and built by the same person who did them for AVIA. That would be me. The basic signal levels on both discs are the same and should yield equivalent results.

However, I would suggest that you not quite follow the narrative in HTT for setting final white level. Instead, try to set contrast to the LOWEST setting which makes the white portion of the pattern seem white instead of gray. The professionally written narrative may mislead you into going for a higher contrast setting. The HTT narrative was written to be as easy as possible and not over explain things like AVIA does. The AVIA video setup narrative was written by the pattern creator rather than a professional script writer. That's why you notice the speech cadence and tone is so different in the AVIA video setup narrative compared to the rest of the disc. It was really odd to hear my own speach pattern but someone elses voice.

The HTT patterns are fewer but somewhat more refined than those in AVIA. Either should allow you to perform user level adjustment of the display. Since HTT hasn't been on the market very long, most commentary you see is still about how to use the AVIA patterns. The HTT patterns are close enough in design so you can usually use the information you learn from discussions about AVIA's patterns with HTT.

Happy to hear another person getting out to torch mode.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I just got Avia last week, and the results are so pleasing that I've been calibrating every family member and friend's TV possible. It's just so nice to watch, it looks a little dim at first but with the lights off and a DVD going it really does look a lot better. How much difference it makes when I get my DLP FPTV is yet to be seen, but it sure does a lot for CRTs.

Henry Yuen

Grip
Could someone tell me what kind of adjustments to my setup I'll be making when using AVIA? I've had a Tosh rear projector for 3 years and have been perfectly happy with the quality of the picture. I've set the brightness and contrast levels quite low (both below 40) and I'm just wondering if I'm likely to see much improvement? I can't help feeling that my current settings are near-optimal. Am I likely to be pleasantly surprised? What about THX Optimode? I've tried using that but ended up going back to my own settings.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
My Avia disc just arrived today..... time for me to get busy! Also bought a sound meter... woohoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks