Finally Decided on New Speakers and Thought I'd Share.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shion_ca, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

Just thought I'd share my bliss at having purchased a pair of Tannoy D700's this weekend to go with my musical fidelity pre and amp. Am quite blissfully happy though Ironically I note that there is one area I prefer my HK320 acting as a preamp instead of the MF pre (upper middle frequencies for electric guitar).

Retired my old fronts to surrounds and now am trying to figure out the wonders of HT. I always thought there would be more rear channel information in surround sound, I posted some of my questions about it on the receiver/amps forum. In any case given offerings out there for speakers in the 4 - 5k US range I'd definately make the Tannoy's a listen before purchasing. (tough call between them, the Von Schweikerts, the Silverline Audio sonnatas, and the Kef Ref 4.2's though)

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

I love the Tannoy sound too, did you try the Dimension series? I belive the TD8 is also in that price range. Anyways, the D700's are great, and you should get many years of enjoyment out of them. Congrats! [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Mike

3. Shion_ca

Actually,
    Before tax I spent $4000 Canadian on them. That's about 2564 US pre tax. I really couldn't have swung the dimensions for that cash. To tell you the truth I didn't even want to hear them out of fear ; ) I will do my very best to avoid listening to anything that significantly betters my speakers [​IMG]

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Are these the ones with the "supertweeters"? I heard a pair of Tannoys some years ago (have no idea what model), and loved them. Just a gorgeous sound.

5. Shion_ca

Nope, but you can buy the super tweeters for them. The dimension series now comes with super tweeters I believe (or maybe they're an option for them as well) Regardless they're exactly what I was looking for and I figure once I get around to buying a decent source and biwiring them I can always add a super tweeter as la piece de resistance.