What's new

Finally Completed my Home Theatre # 3 (1 Viewer)

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Finally filled out the bottom end of my HT with two 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch Subs installed inside my skinny homebrew "towers of power".. Pics of the entire setup are coming soon.

The 2 subs are mounted on the sides of the towers with a ported volume of 1.5cu'. The bass is powered by my trusty ADCOM GFA-555II in bridged mono (pumping out 300W). Some tweaking is still required and I also have an empty subwoofer box awaiting a 15" version of the Rockford "PUNCH" sub. The big sub will be located in the back corner of the room.

My question is :

Whoever has owned tower speakers with side firing subs, what's the best method of placement of the towers (i.e bass drivers facing each other or bass drivers facing the adjacent wall?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How can you fit a 10" sub into a 1.5 cubic INCH enclosure?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I know you mean CF (cubic feet). What is the Fb of the enclosure?

I haven't really followed the Rockford Fosgate subs since Carboneau was their OEM (late '80's/early '90's). What are the T/S parameters for your subs?

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they are good down to 30hz then that is probably the Fb. But when looking at the T/S parameters, that is probably good that they don't go any lower. With 9mm of xmax, anything lower will run out of excursion very quickly.

If you want to use the 15 to fill in the very low end, I recommend using anything but that Punch. The 15 has only 9mm of excursion like the 10. That can't move much air. For example, the 15's that I use have 33mm of xmax and 48mm of xmech.

-Robert

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden

even with 9mm of xmax the cone area difference between a 10 inch and a 15 is pretty drastic. combine that with a optimal enclosure and sufficient power he should be able to hear a nice difference with his system.

but by all means. if your wallet is able to get a more powerful subwoofer then go for it.

33mm xmax!? wow. now thats a sub. what sub is that?

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Thanks Robert. Maybe I'll just spend an extra few more bucks for a 15" driver that will get "down" to where I want to go in side my old sub cabinet without tearing itself apart to get there. Dim's on the cabinet internally are 19" deep x 15" high x 15" wide. I will probably rear mount 2 6" - 8" ports at least 4" in diameter.

I've just emailed Parker Clack all the pics and descriptions of the theatre and I'm hoping he gets a chance soon to post them for me

Happy New Year & thanks for the advice.

P.S. Any subwoofer driver manufacturer recommendtions (parts-express perhaps?)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I have dual 10" reflex subs in my main towers, I always face the subs away from each other so there isn't any cancellation issues, plus they would rattle the display and other equipment between them.

They sound great where I have them placed, but nothing beats a real sub for the 30Hz and down... My 10's give up the ghost around 30 as well.

For a raw driver, check out AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely. John is well known around here for building high performing drivers at reasonable prices.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I'll try out your setup (subs facing away from each other) and let you guys know soon. Thanks for keeping up with my posts.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depends on the power used, enclosure, budget and your goals. You can go from the Dayton Quattro (from PE) to the Resonant Engineering XXX series for almost $1,000. Pick a budget. Pick the largest enclosure you can stand. If you are going to use your current box, I suggest you go sealed. What amp are you using? Then we can pick a driver. And the AE Speakers link above is always a great choice. John J. is an awsome driver designer and provides great customer service.

-Robert

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am really bummed out.. My DIY AV12 sub has been out of commission for a while due to a power surge. I thought the surge took out the three internal fuses in the plate amp (not using just any plate amp either) well, I replaced the fuses, the sub hummed and I heard a popping sound in the amp, so I believe the fuses blew again.

When I researched this on the net, sounds like I may have fried caps, Mosfets and an Optocoupler. :frowning:

I'm using the amp from an Acoustic Research ARS500 (500 watt Bob Carver TDC Sunfire).

Bummed out indeed....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As an owner of 3 AV12's, you need to get that sub back up and running. Those TC2+ based drivers are awsome. The O Audio 500w amp is a great choice if you can't bring your old one back to life.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks