Finally caved in and got DSL, ditching 56k. What should I be doing to protect my PC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Drew Bethel, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Need some tips on freeware: virus checking, firewall, spyware, etc.

2. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

norton or mcaffee is good for virus scanning. I run adaware every week for spyware. For firewall, any router will do(don't forget to change default password!). If you don't want to buy a router, zonealarm is a good free firewall.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Buy an Apple[​IMG]

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

does Norton do a good job with trojans, or should I use a different program?

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

ZoneAlarm is a fine firewall product, and it's free. You could also add a separate firewall router, but I would still run something on the PC, too, since a PC-based firewall will keep rouge programs from accessing the 'net from your PC without permission. I use McAfee's anti-virus software, and run Spybot every couple of weeks to check for spyware. Also, make sure your Windows operating system is up to date with patches. A new round of patches for security holes was released last week.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

You will need to pay for good virus protection, but everything else can be gotten for free.

Pay for Norton,

then get free versions of:

ZoneAlarm
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    BHO Demon
    Spyware Guard

Unfortunately there are also some freebies that are actually spyware installers. You need to stay away from them.

The best information can be gotten at http://www.spywareinfo.com/. Check out their forums if you have any questions.

7. Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin Stunt Coordinator

I have a DSL and I run this router / firewall.

Linksys BEFSX41. They are easy to setup, secure, and best of all in expensive.

8. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Buy a router! They are dirt cheap these days and will give you a great deal of protection by hiding your computer's IP address from the internet.

Jeff

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

To combat spyware, I now use Adaware, Spybot, and Spy Sweeper. They all catch things the other one doesn't catch. Spy Sweeper actually seemed good at catching a few spyware programs I had been trying to track down for weeks.

10. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

AVG is a good and free anti-virus. I have used McAfee and Norton and I think AVG is just as good.

Neal

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Router, router, router. Accept no substitute.

Software-wise, it's still worth running ZoneAlarm, even behind a router because it gives you control of outbound traffic as well as inbound.

Panda Titanium is a superb anti-virus package and is less of a resource hog than Norton. BitDefender is excellent too.

Oh - and stop using Internet Explorer and use Mozilla Firefox instead. That'll cut down the probability of picking up something nasty off the web enormously. It's a better browser too.

12. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I actually do have AVG, I just wonder if it's sophisticated enough to run in the background and prevent viruses/worms from other sites.

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can't expect one package to handle everything. AVG has a good reputation though I didn't like it myself (just too ugly, but hey, I'm shallow). It will certainly stop most known incoming viruses but security always has to be a multi-faceted beast.

I always recommend the following:

Router with NAT
    Software firewall
    Good anti-virus (keep it up to date!)
    Regular runs of AdAware and Spybot (again, keep them up to date)
    Keep your Windows system fully up to date with patches.
    Don't use IE for regular browsing.

That's pretty much all you can do.

14. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I just finally went cable broadband 2 weeks ago. I installed a wireless D-Link router with a firewall. I use zone alarm on all of my machines. Each system also has Norton A/V which I update each week. I set everything up with 128 bit WEP encryption and MAC filtering. That's about as much security as I can come up with. I'm really happy with the D-Link stuff I bought.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I get Microsoft Critical updates and update immediately. I tend to use Ad-aware more than spybot, but I have both. I love my new wireless set up.