What's new

Finally buying a new car (2 Viewers)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My wife and I may try shopping again for a SUV this spring. Leaning towards a Highlander hybrid or Pathfinder.
My dispatcher at my trucking company let me borrow her Highlander to run an errand. I didn’t drive it far, but I was pretty impressed- a lot of room inside, and drove well.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those Lightning trucks do look nice. Unfortunately, it has one big flaw. It's made by FORD.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Those Lightning trucks do look nice. Unfortunately, it has one big flaw. It's made by FORD.
?

I've never had an issue with any Ford I've owned. Nor anyone else I know. Other than the common wear and tear of owning one for years.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
?

I've never had an issue with any Ford I've owned. Nor anyone else I know. Other than the common wear and tear of owning one for years.
My experience with their product and their dealership left a bad taste. Enough of one to never want to buy another one of their products. However, it doesn't stop me from thinking that their EV truck does look good. And it actually looks like a practical vehicle unlike Tesla's perpetually forthcoming truck.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Funny how when discussions start about certain makes of vehicles, it inevitably goes down the road of X brand sucks. I have a couple of Chrysler products, which I know a lot of people like to dump on this manufacturer. As far as Ford is concerned- I’ve only had one, and that was a worn out Pinto, so I don’t really count that one. My buddy has a Raptor, which he’s had for about 9 years. Those are bad ass trucks. He has let me drive it a few times. 👍

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My experience with their product and their dealership left a bad taste. Enough of one to never want to buy another one of their products. However, it doesn't stop me from thinking that their EV truck does look good. And it actually looks like a practical vehicle unlike Tesla's perpetually forthcoming truck.
Dealership horror stories. I have been there, so have all my friends when buying new cars.

Me--Dodge dealership. Everything went fine until they sectioned me off in a small room with a lady trying to sell me "upholstery/tire protection for an extra $70 a month. I said no, she kept telling me it is foolish. I still said no thanks. She was horrible to me, made me feel like the biggest creep. What I should have told her " lady, I just spent $42K ....leave me alone"

My friend had an awesome GMC Sierra, went to pick it up at the Chevy dealership when they said it was ready. He ended up waiting 7 hours in the waiting room. He lost his temper, and they took $3K off for him, it must have been pretty bad lol.

Another friend brought a new Toyota truck, and the salesman was just plain creepy insisting he would be a new best friend.

When will be able to buy cars as easy as an Amazon purchase?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My buddy’s father (I’m friends with both) had an unpleasant experience about his 2017 F-150. Still covered under the bumper-to bumper, one of the taillight bezels took on water. The dealership claimed he hit something, causing the leak (he did not). He spent more than $30K on the truck, and they were headstrong about a fix that cost maybe a few hundred? SMH.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Back in 2008, when we purchased our last vehicle, we had been pre-approved for a car loan at my credit union and they gave us an awesomely low interest rate. As we were finalizing the deal, the dealership's loan guy comes in and says he has good news for us - we qualified for the Toyota Loyalty program! The interest rate for that program was higher than what the credit union was offering us, yet this guy kept trying to make it sound like a big deal. We kept telling him "But the interest rate is higher than what the credit union is offering, so we are not interested." It took ten minutes for it to sink in that we were not going to be suckered into the higher interest rate.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are *any* dealerships for *any* brands/makers good at all vs sleazy? Seems like they're (almost?) all just various degrees of sleazy and never good... and not sure any brand/maker has much influence/differentiation over them...

Seems just far more important to go for a vehicle make/model that's generally proven to be more reliable and need less maintenance and repairs (at the dealership)... Of course, for some types like pickup trucks, your options may be limited...

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My buddy’s father (I’m friends with both) had an unpleasant experience about his 2017 F-150. Still covered under the bumper-to bumper, one of the taillight bezels took on water. The dealership claimed he hit something, causing the leak (he did not). He spent more than $30K on the truck, and they were headstrong about a fix that cost maybe a few hundred? SMH.
Oh yeah, FORD warranty service at its best. LG and FORD must have had the same people draw up their warranty service rules.

Rule #1: Claim it is the customer's fault. :laugh:
Are *any* dealerships for *any* brands/makers good at all vs sleazy? Seems like they're (almost?) all just various degrees of sleazy and never good... and not sure any brand/maker has much influence/differentiation over them...

Seems just far more important to go for a vehicle make/model that's generally proven to be more reliable and need less maintenance and repairs (at the dealership)... Of course, for some types like pickup trucks, your options may be limited...

_Man_

The Acura dealer I went to for a wheel alignment after hitting a pothole hard was good. They spotted a misaligned rear assembly on my car, told me about it and fixed it under the warranty. If that had been a FORD dealership, they would have dropped the car, kept their mouths shut and waited for the warranty to expire

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks! I actually posted that 4 years ago and just passed 119,000 miles on my Civic. :laugh:

Wow! Iirc your Civic is a 2018. EX? Any mechanical problems? What kind of mpg are you getting? Do you get it serviced at the Honda dealer or somewhere else? What brand of tires do you like?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My favorite tire I've ever driven on, the Michelin CrossClimate 2, has been on my Acura TLX for more than a year, and has just been put on my wife's CR-V. Costco sales of $150 of a set of 4, which seem to run a few times a year, make this tire affordable. In terms of the handling and grip improvement these tires were a big upgrade for us.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

_Man_
While I have experienced dealership issues in the past (like just about everyone), the Buick / GMC dealership near our house has been very good to us for many years. We have bought our last three vehicles there, and taken all in for service there for the past 12 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks