Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The EV charging infrastructure is virtually non-existent in the south so I’m going to be in a petrol-powered vehicle for the foreseeable future.
Parts of the south, perhaps. ATL is actually pretty well situated. If you're serious about an EV though, I'd be looking at adding a level 2 charging station to your home. No way I'd depend on public or commercial stations. Being able to charge at home is one of the coolest advantages of owning an EV. Oh how I wish I could have my own gas pump. :cool:

Clark Green

BANNED
Real Name
Clark Green
Sadly the more power you suck up to charge these vehicles draws more power from the power plants which are fueled by.... petroleum. Not sure how that's helping save planet earth.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Sadly the more power you suck up to charge these vehicles draws more power from the power plants which are fueled by.... petroleum. Not sure how that's helping save planet earth.

Not everywhere. Canada's power stations are predominantly hydro-electric (60%) followed by nuclear. (15%).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's not a scam. We just sold a 10 year old Honda Civic with well over 100K miles to Carmax. They paid us nearly $5000.00 for it. In a ergular market a car like this would have been worth maybe $2000.00.

A bit late to the thread, but I'll second this story from a couple years ago. We were selling my Father-in-Law 2nd vehicle (was my MIL before she died) after he moved to an Assisted Living and gave up his License. 12+yo Dodge Caravan with multiple cosmetic issues (bumper dings/damage, door scuffs, minor fender scrapes, a couple minor low speed accidents that needed repairs, etc) though pretty low mileage and it seemed to be in good mechanical order. It had been used to carry stuff to the dump or yard waste recycling so interior wasn't pristine either though a trip to the Carwash and some very simple vacuuming/Windex cleaning it was pretty presentable (literally $20 in prep and a couple hrs of my time)

Various estimated values online ranged from 1800-2500, but decided to use Carmax to get their estimate esp since it was going to be easier using power-of-attorney papers. Absolutely floored that Carmax priced it at $4000 and did all the legal paperwork on the spot. From appointment time, internal and external inspections, signing all the paperwork, and walking out of the dealership with a check in hand was less than 3 hrs and this was almost the Southern Summer 2020 of COVID in that area. I was going to be happy just to get it out of the way the easiest way possible, but getting twice what I even optimistically expected was just an Extra Large Hot Fudge Sundae. Only one data point, but I'll NEVER try to sell a car on my own again.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I read on another site that Chrysler has announced a “last call” on the V8 gas Charger and Challenger- the last of them will supposedly leave the factory in December 2023. At that point, if you want MOPAR muscle, you’ll have to plug it in.
This just isn’t a great idea- there are practical daily applications for the EV- school buses, taxis, mail delivery vehicles, yard spotters at freight locations, etc, and the EV works for some people, not all. I see this as backfiring on Chrysler.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Here’s another consideration about an EV truck, especially if it’s going to be used for hauling or towing- I haven’t done any research on the drivetrain on an EV, but I imagine it’s not the same as the mechanics of a gas truck. My concern would be how long the drivetrain would hold up, with the extra stress of weight being applied to it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was at my dealership yesterday, where I bought my Charger and Grand Cherokee.
I think I need touch up paint, due to a possible scratch in the Jeep. In the showroom was a new Challenger Scat Pack 392- red/orange in color, shaker hood, leather wrap around seats, pretty well loaded. Sticker $55,600. Man, if I had the Jeep paid for, I would have been tempted to trade in the Charger for it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here’s another consideration about an EV truck, especially if it’s going to be used for hauling or towing- I haven’t done any research on the drivetrain on an EV, but I imagine it’s not the same as the mechanics of a gas truck. My concern would be how long the drivetrain would hold up, with the extra stress of weight being applied to it.

I would expect the drive train for an EV truck to be more reliable because it doesn't rely on a complicated transmission transferring power through a driveshaft or driveshafts to a rear differential and/or front differential and axles.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I would expect the drive train for an EV truck to be more reliable because it doesn't rely on a complicated transmission transferring power through a driveshaft or driveshafts to a rear differential and/or front differential and axles.
Interesting point, but I would be skeptical about how the electric motors would perform under duress of increased weight.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting point, but I would be skeptical about how the electric motors would perform under duress of increased weight.

Electric motors are extremely reliable, especially ones designed for heavy duty applications. I have been in plants where electric motors run in continuous duty 24/7 for years at a time.

I would be less concerned about electric drivetrain reliability and.more concerned about range reduction that would result from continuously pulling a heavy load through variable terrain.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I got emotionally drained by the job, so I hopped in my Charger, and took a 1,766 mile trip- from my house in Kentucky, to my friend’s place in PA, to my cousin’s house near New York City, then back to my friend’s, then out to the Hershey auto meet, back to my friend’s, then home. Car got more than 30 mpg on the interstates, and it ran like a top. I bought the car
6-1/2 years ago, and it still puts a big grin on my face when I’m in it.

For this and other future trips on EZ Pass toll roads, I bought a Uni Pass transponder, and logged it online to match my Charger and its license plate. Looks like I have no issues with this, but will monitor my P.O. box for letters demanding payment. Not a fan of not having the ability to pay as I go, but if this
works without any glitches, it’s more convenient to not have to stop at toll booths.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much a lock for next year if everything goes correctly. I'd like to have my home paid off first, but I just can't wait any longer.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally in the actual order pipeline.
1666212608897.png

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I got emotionally drained by the job, so I hopped in my Charger, and took a 1,766 mile trip- from my house in Kentucky, to my friend’s place in PA, to my cousin’s house near New York City, then back to my friend’s, then out to the Hershey auto meet, back to my friend’s, then home. Car got more than 30 mpg on the interstates, and it ran like a top. I bought the car
6-1/2 years ago, and it still puts a big grin on my face when I’m in it.

For this and other future trips on EZ Pass toll roads, I bought a Uni Pass transponder, and logged it online to match my Charger and its license plate. Looks like I have no issues with this, but will monitor my P.O. box for letters demanding payment. Not a fan of not having the ability to pay as I go, but if this
works without any glitches, it’s more convenient to not have to stop at toll booths.
The EZ Pass transponders are a great convenience. There are no toll roads in Michigan (except a couple of bridges), so they don't work here. However, we take the West Virginia turnpike on our drives to / from Michigan from / to South Carolina. So, I got a transponder from Illinois, as that state has no monthly or annual fee. The account adds $20 every time your account falls below that level, and you get any balance remaining back if you cancel the account. I saw no downside to getting one through there.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm so happy to hear that you've finally found a replacement for your 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S! The 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport is a great choice - I'm sure you'll love it. It's definitely time to retire your Celica after 18 years and 400,000 miles - that's an impressive lifespan! I'm sure the new Civic will serve you just as well, if not better. I am a bit of a fan of old JDM cars, and I found a 1993 Toyota supra for sale. I am thinking of getting it. What do you think, guys? Anyway, congratulations on your new purchase, and enjoy your new car!
Thanks! I actually posted that 4 years ago and just passed 119,000 miles on my Civic. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks