What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I imagine a battery failure out of warranty will be like blowing a motor in a gasoline powered car with 120,000 miles on it. You retire it and replace it.
In 2011 I bought a 1996 Miata with 140K miles for $2,600. I fixed it up and drove it for another decade. In 2019 I sold it with 175K miles for $3,500. Well maintained ICE engines now last for 200K to 300K miles.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I broke 150,000 miles a while back on my Impala.

I wasn't out to suggest that was an upper limit. Just a figure I flew with to illustrate my point. An aged vehicle with quite a few miles on it doesn't usually see the owner pay for a very expensive repair like a new engine. It would never justify the investment.

For instance in my neck of the woods the frame would be condemned from corrosion from road salt before you got too far on a new motor in an older higher mileage vehicle.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I put 171,000 miles on my last new car purchase- a 1998 Dodge Stratus. It served me very well, until the tranny dropped out of it. With no hesitation, I sold it cheap to a
guy who wanted it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
First consumer and reviewer drives:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/⚡%EF%B8%8F-2022-f-150-lightning-reviews-are-in-heres-the-whole-list.10358/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Definitely a good move to maintain familiarity this early in the game, but I would still avoid it because it's Ford's very first electric truck. This ain't an electric car with plenty of engineering history like gas powered cars and trucks. It's all new! This "version 1" is bound to have a few teething problems, and I doubt the dealer's mechanics are fully trained to work on these things this early in the game. Wait a couple of years.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve read the Ars and Verge first-looks and so far sounds great. I’m not a truck guy, but good to see more EV from more manufacturers.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Was just about to post that

I'm really impressed at how well designed it is from a user's point of view while still keeping it looking and behaving like a proper pickup truck. Those power outlets alone will be extremely useful out in the field. It even includes a 220 volt outlet! You won't need to drag around a gas generator.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The EV charging infrastructure is virtually non-existent in the south so I’m going to be in a petrol-powered vehicle for the foreseeable future.
This video is a reasonable perspective on EV driving based on a roadtrip from Chicago to mid-Florida (with a charging stop where I grew up, in Clarksville, IN).

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d be seriously considering buying an EV this year or next, were it not for unavailability. An acquaintance bought a Huyndai Ioniq 5, and had to pay $6000 above sticker price.

As is, the EVs right now are close to what I want but not quite. They’re all missing one little feature or another that I don’t want to sacrifice if I’m spending $50k to $60k — double what I’ve ever spent on a car before.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Think that the new Ford truck will be a game changer - as for the first time ever the prices are the same for the EV and the non EV models - so there is no large premium to pay - it is just another power train option. If this is actually going to work than I think this is the start of it.

It is also on the best selling "car" in America, and it still basically looks like an F-150....and they tried to keep it close to the look and feel of the gas powered model.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have gotten mailers from a few different dealerships recently, claiming they need used cars, and will give me more than blue book. The mailer I just opened said they’d give me up to $16,590 for my 2015 Charger. Do you guys think this is a scam to get people to a dealership, and they wouldn’t give anywhere near what they advertise? Or maybe they would give you in the neighborhood of the price, only if you buy a new car from them? Seems this way to me. As much as I could use the money now- I just wrote a check for $7,400 for a new heat pump- I just can’t bring myself to get rid of the Dodge. I need 2 good, low mileage cars, and I like the car too much to not have it any longer.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have gotten mailers from a few different dealerships recently, claiming they need used cars, and will give me more than blue book. The mailer I just opened said they’d give me up to $16,590 for my 2015 Charger. Do you guys think this is a scam to get people to a dealership, and they wouldn’t give anywhere near what they advertise? Or maybe they would give you in the neighborhood of the price, only if you buy a new car from them? Seems this way to me. As much as I could use the money now- I just wrote a check for $7,400 for a new heat pump- I just can’t bring myself to get rid of the Dodge. I need 2 good, low mileage cars, and I like the car too much to not have it any longer.
Used car market has been very hot the past two years with crazy high prices recently.

That’s probably the highest they’d offer for perfect condition of you buy a new car. But I don’t think it’s outrageous from what I’ve heard of recent car prices.

My wife could possibly have gotten $17,000 for her 2015 Corolla last month from CarMax.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's not a scam. We just sold a 10 year old Honda Civic with well over 100K miles to Carmax. They paid us nearly $5000.00 for it. In a ergular market a car like this would have been worth maybe $2000.00.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl333
Recent bookmarks