What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Need to know so I don't get run off the road by one? ;):P :laugh::laugh::laugh::rolling-smiley:

_Man_

sure, SUV hate is a thing I guess. So is general car disdain by a lot of city dwellers. /shrug

the whole point of the article is that it’s the beat selling vehicle. Period. Not just truck, it beats all car models too. There will be millions of these on the road and they are indistinguishable from ICE powered trucks. That’s a good thing because it’s fewer individual polluters. And assuming the launch goes smoothly it will accelerate EV overall adoption.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Easy, Sam. I was just teasing a little mainly because the writer is claiming we still need to care despite "not a truck person".

I read it and got the point... though it's definitely debatable (exactly how much it'll matter)...

Not actually hating on trucks, let alone SUVs in general...

Cheers!

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Here’s another consideration about the battery in an EV- if you were to have the vehicle sit for days, will there be any power drain? If I were to ever be in the market for a car again (I hope I won’t have to be), this would be a deal maker or breaker for me- I normally let my vehicles sit for 5 or 6 days at a time, sometimes longer before I drive them (truck driver is my occupation).

Yesterday morning, I was walking to my car from the grocery store, and noticed a Tesla in the parking lot. The car started to move, so I stopped and paid attention to the sound. It was a weird thing to just hear the tires against the pavement with no other noise coming from the car.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Why wouldn’t you leave it connected to electricity?

We have a Tesla Model 3 Performance (bought it early last year). We go for days without driving it (especially during the pandemic) and leave it plugged in the entire time. No adverse results.

We'll never buy another ICE vehicle.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In my case, it wouldn’t work for my primary vehicle- I leave it at the truck stop while I’m out on the road.

The future is already here, it’s just not evenly distributed. Bruce Sterling.

You’re an edge case. There will be many stories like yours and it will be frustrating for a lot of people in your shoes. Eventually things will settle out, but folks like you won’t be early adopters. I imagine many of them will go kicking and screaming, just like we have here as formats and HT technology change. =)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m another edge case because I’m a mobile service tech. Sure, most days I drive to my office and only take care of one customer all day but there are times when I may have to drive a lot and then take off to Memphis, Jackson, MS, or Baton Rouge with little or no notice. I can’t wait around for my car to charge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m another edge case because I’m a mobile service tech. Sure, most days I drive to my office and only take care of one customer all day but there are times when I may have to drive a lot and then take off to Memphis, Jackson, MS, or Baton Rouge with little or no notice. I can’t wait around for my car to charge.
How many miles are you driving in a day? EV have 200 to 400 mile range.

You seem to be not edge case, but prime buyer. You drive a lot so EV savings on gas and maintenance will be substantial.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
How many miles are you driving in a day? EV have 200 to 400 mile range.

You seem to be not edge case, but prime buyer. You drive a lot so EV savings on gas and maintenance will be substantial.
My normal daily commute is 70 miles round trip, however, I may also have to drive from my office to multiple customers around Little Rock / North Little Rock and back to my office. Also, at a moments notice, I may have to take off and drive to Memphis which is a 360 mile round trip. In the past year, I have had several 500+ mile days. Also factor in the fact that running the AC during the summer and heat during the winter will drain the battery faster. I guarantee that none of our customers will spend the money to install charging stations so I could very easily find myself running out of juice or having to find a charging station and wait while I charge enough to go on my way. No thank you. I’ll stick with my 36mpg Civic until the infrastructure is built out and EVs are truly practical in 20 years or so.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My normal daily commute is 70 miles round trip, however, I may also have to drive from my office to multiple customers around Little Rock / North Little Rock and back to my office. Also, at a moments notice, I may have to take off and drive to Memphis which is a 360 mile round trip. In the past year, I have had several 500+ mile days. Also factor in the fact that running the AC during the summer and heat during the winter will drain the battery faster. I guarantee that none of our customers will spend the money to install charging stations so I could very easily find myself running out of juice or having to find a charging station and wait while I charge enough to go on my way. No thank you. I’ll stick with my 36mpg Civic until the infrastructure is built out and EVs are truly practical in 20 years or so.
That trip to Memphis must be dreadful, with the I-40 Bridge closed.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I-40 is a parking lot when you get to West Memphis. The last time I had to go was a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it still took almost 2 hours to cross the MS river on I-55.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I mean I could make a ton of excuses why I haven’t bought an EV or hybrid on market today. I was an edge case in those examples. It’s not something to stress over or rage against.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I mean I could make a ton of excuses why I haven’t bought an EV or hybrid on market today. I was an edge case in those examples. It’s not something to stress over or rage against.
I think it was wise to hold off on this technology for a while to see how reliable it was going to be.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I think it was wise to hold off on this technology for a while to see how reliable it was going to be.

Yeah, maybe don't wanna be the beta testers dealing w/ stuff like GM's Bolt EVs catching fire (while left to recharge?) -- a friend of mine is (finally) trying to return his now... :huh:

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s a car. Not a quick tech splurge. Not like buying a $800 smartphone every couple years. It’s a $40k to $80k or more purchase. No need to for anyone to feel bad for taking their time to be ready to make that buy.

My excuse has been simple: EVs are very expensive and lacked basic creature comforts in cars costing half.

But I’m getting close. Maybe next year. My car is getting old enough I’m ok replacing it. And EV options are growing robustly now. And prices are getting to what I’ll be willing stretch to.

But definitely not buying an EV in 2021. Happy to keep driving my current car and let the crazy pandemic auto market get more normal before I go shopping.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I imagine a battery failure out of warranty will be like blowing a motor in a gasoline powered car with 120,000 miles on it. You retire it and replace it.

As long as they can get the technology to give a reasonably long life like modern internal combustion engines, it's not going to be much different in that regard. Extremely expensive repairs to an aged vehicle for most of us has always meant it's a write-off and that the repair money is better spent being channeled towards a replacement vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks