What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah. That explains all the super-loud thumping stereos and tricked out exhausts I hear in the cars of young men. It’s all about the safeties! :D

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I generally don’t watch YouTube videos > 9 min (just not a fit for my life); much prefer written reviews that give me 60 min of content in 10 min of reading. But this looked to be a quality video, so I’mn trying to watch it over four or five days. About ⅔ through, it is quite informative, and getting into more detail than the previous video preview I watched. And more details than some preview articles I’ve read.

What I’ve come to appreciate is that EV still have a significant premium. I was excited about the Mustang EV, thinking it would be a $50k to $60k car that was also an EV. And I was maybe willing to leap up to that price range for the total package.

But it’s really a $35k to $45k Ford Sedan / CUV with $10k to $15k of batteries in it. It’s missing the basic feature of electronic control / programmable steering wheel. And for $50k+ I expect full memory positions for two drivers. The mach E also lacks the more efficient cabin heating system Tesla has, which I gather then sucks power for cold-weather driving. From a daily-driver perspective, the Mustang interface looks jankily slow. I can’t buy a new “computer” that is so slow and outdated on day one. Maybe that will be fixed with software updates, but that for me is super disappointing.

In terms of positives: Wireless Apple Car Play. That’s tablestakes to me for a new car. I won’t buy a Tesla because it doesn’t have Car Play. Range is good, at 200+ miles. That huge roof window; I’d love to have that. I’m a sedan guy, never owned a truck or SUV, in part because of fuel efficiency. But for an EV, I’m open to moving to this style CUV / SUV. The cargo room would be useful at times.

Having gone solar and running an annual surplus, an EV would be a good fit for my home utilities. But that‘s incremental savings, not enough to pay for a $50k purchase. My current ICE car is 5 years old, so I’m in no hurry to buy a new car. I’ll keep watching and waiting for the right EV to come out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten

A4C1E3D3-C8F5-4453-847A-FA676D3F5412.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- I didn’t know Ford was coming out with this. My buddy had a 2000 SVT Lightning back in the day.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm waiting for a longtime HTF member (or maybe Ron, et al? ;):lol:) to buy a mondo double-decker, self-driving, electric RV that comes equipped w/ a suped up, 2-story HT (w/ stadium seating) and roam around the country for us to congregate in small groups for HTF movie nights, LOL. :D

OR maybe I'll sell my house in retirement and do that myself, if such a beast is actually ever viable, LOL! Could be very nice for all those North American photographic expeditions I haven't made just yet... :laugh:

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I'm waiting for a longtime HTF member (or maybe Ron, et al? ;):lol:) to buy a mondo double-decker, self-driving, electric RV that comes equipped w/ a suped up, 2-story HT (w/ stadium seating) and roam around the country for us to congregate in small groups for HTF movie nights, LOL. :D

OR maybe I'll sell my house in retirement and do that myself, if such a beast is actually ever viable, LOL! Could be very nice for all those North American photographic expeditions I haven't made just yet... :laugh:

_Man_
A751FCD6-2BBF-4CC7-92EE-0369CEBF73AE.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Man, as if I wasn’t excited before.

Not a super huge fan of the wheels tho. I think I’m going to like the lariat’s blacked out look better.

Agree- those wheels have got to go. Impressive that the truck has both a trunk and a bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekbd
Recent bookmarks