What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah. That explains all the super-loud thumping stereos and tricked out exhausts I hear in the cars of young men. It’s all about the safeties! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I generally don’t watch YouTube videos > 9 min (just not a fit for my life); much prefer written reviews that give me 60 min of content in 10 min of reading. But this looked to be a quality video, so I’mn trying to watch it over four or five days. About ⅔ through, it is quite informative, and getting into more detail than the previous video preview I watched. And more details than some preview articles I’ve read.

What I’ve come to appreciate is that EV still have a significant premium. I was excited about the Mustang EV, thinking it would be a $50k to $60k car that was also an EV. And I was maybe willing to leap up to that price range for the total package.

But it’s really a $35k to $45k Ford Sedan / CUV with $10k to $15k of batteries in it. It’s missing the basic feature of electronic control / programmable steering wheel. And for $50k+ I expect full memory positions for two drivers. The mach E also lacks the more efficient cabin heating system Tesla has, which I gather then sucks power for cold-weather driving. From a daily-driver perspective, the Mustang interface looks jankily slow. I can’t buy a new “computer” that is so slow and outdated on day one. Maybe that will be fixed with software updates, but that for me is super disappointing.

In terms of positives: Wireless Apple Car Play. That’s tablestakes to me for a new car. I won’t buy a Tesla because it doesn’t have Car Play. Range is good, at 200+ miles. That huge roof window; I’d love to have that. I’m a sedan guy, never owned a truck or SUV, in part because of fuel efficiency. But for an EV, I’m open to moving to this style CUV / SUV. The cargo room would be useful at times.

Having gone solar and running an annual surplus, an EV would be a good fit for my home utilities. But that‘s incremental savings, not enough to pay for a $50k purchase. My current ICE car is 5 years old, so I’m in no hurry to buy a new car. I’ll keep watching and waiting for the right EV to come out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

A4C1E3D3-C8F5-4453-847A-FA676D3F5412.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- I didn’t know Ford was coming out with this. My buddy had a 2000 SVT Lightning back in the day.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm waiting for a longtime HTF member (or maybe Ron, et al? ;):lol:) to buy a mondo double-decker, self-driving, electric RV that comes equipped w/ a suped up, 2-story HT (w/ stadium seating) and roam around the country for us to congregate in small groups for HTF movie nights, LOL. :D

OR maybe I'll sell my house in retirement and do that myself, if such a beast is actually ever viable, LOL! Could be very nice for all those North American photographic expeditions I haven't made just yet... :laugh:

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm waiting for a longtime HTF member (or maybe Ron, et al? ;):lol:) to buy a mondo double-decker, self-driving, electric RV that comes equipped w/ a suped up, 2-story HT (w/ stadium seating) and roam around the country for us to congregate in small groups for HTF movie nights, LOL. :D

OR maybe I'll sell my house in retirement and do that myself, if such a beast is actually ever viable, LOL! Could be very nice for all those North American photographic expeditions I haven't made just yet... :laugh:

_Man_
A751FCD6-2BBF-4CC7-92EE-0369CEBF73AE.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Man, as if I wasn’t excited before.

Not a super huge fan of the wheels tho. I think I’m going to like the lariat’s blacked out look better.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Man, as if I wasn’t excited before.

Not a super huge fan of the wheels tho. I think I’m going to like the lariat’s blacked out look better.

Agree- those wheels have got to go. Impressive that the truck has both a trunk and a bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks