What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Before I get into my review, let me go back 18 years to when I purchased my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S. It was a red lift-back coupe that I immediately fell in love with and literally drove it off the showroom floor. Back then, it was cutting edge, with sleek and sexy styling, a lightweight polymer plastic sunroof, a JBL sound-system (which I immediately ripped out and replaced with much better Alpine equipment) and lots of leather bits and pieces in the interior. The version I bought was the GT-S, with the beefed-up 1.8 liter 2ZZGE engine which turned out 180 bhp at 7600 rpm and 133 lb-ft of torque and had a top speed of around 140 mph. It was a high-revving engine that red-lined at 7800 rpm and it’s interesting to note that a version of the 2ZZGE engine was used in the Lotus Elise. I picked the auto transmission over the six-speed manual because, at the time, I didn’t know how to drive stick. It was a fast little car and it handled like it was on rails. I absolutely loved driving it.

Fast-forward 18 years and 392,000 miles and the Celica had gotten long in the tooth. It was leaking oil from the head gasket, front main seal, and behind the timing chain tensioner, and had developed a nasty vibration when stopped in gear at a light or drive-thru window. There was noticeable throttle lag when accelerating into interstate traffic. The clear coat had long-since given up and quit it’s job of protecting the paint, both fog light lenses were broken, the windscreen was cracked, and there were multiple door dings and creases in the body from nimrods who park too closely on the parking lots and throw their doors open like they’re escaping a sinking submarine. Even though I had only broken down once with a dead alternator I could feel this car was beginning to circle the drain. It might have another 50,000 - 100,000 miles left in it, but it would take a lot more money to eek it out than I was willing to put into it. So I finally decided to trade up.

After looking around for a few months and seeing all of my options within my price range, I stumbled across the 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport. Like with the Celica before, I knew as soon as I laid eyes on the Sport that this was the car for me. I didn’t like the Civic coupe and the saloon was ok, but only in the Touring trim. The hatchback fit more within my styling preferences but something about the wheels and rear end of the car was just off. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but it just didn’t look right. That’s when I saw the Sport. The Sport trim has the same body styling as the top of the line Sport Touring version, with its underbody front and rear spoilers, side skirts, and center-mounted dual exhaust, but is $5000 cheaper because it eschews the sunroof, leather interior, premium infotainment system, technology package, heated mirrors and seats, and other top-end luxuries. This Civic is a driver’s car. It’s a machine without most of the creature comforts we have all come to expect from most modern-day cars. In my opinion, that’s a good thing.

Let’s begin with the engine.

The hatchback Sport trim comes equipped with a 1.5 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine that pumps out 180 bhp at 6000 rpm and 162 lb-ft of torque. It doesn’t rev nearly as high as the Celica did, but it will press you back into the seat if you ask it to. With a governed top speed of 125 mph, the sport isn’t setting any records but it will get you where you need to go fairly quickly. Every time I get in and crank the engine, there is a satisfying low growl from the center-mounted dual exhaust that isn’t annoyingly loud. It’s no Fast and Furious fart can; it’s subtle like a tiger waiting in the bushes to rip your face off.

So far, I haven’t noticed an appreciable turbo lag when accelerating. You have to push into the power band before the turbo kicks in but that’s fairly easy to do. I try not to go full-bore from a dead stop, but when passing on the interstate or highway, the power is immediate and on more than one occasion, I have passed a car on the interstate running below the posted speed limit of 70 mph and very quickly found myself running at or above 90 mph. Good gravy, this car is quick!

Fuel efficiency is good too. It is EPA rated at 30 mpg city, 39 mpg highway, and 33 mpg combined and I am actually averaging 40 mpg on the interstate. Not too shabby. There is an eco mode button which is supposed to make the car even more fuel efficient by cutting the throttle response and changing the transmission shift points, but I don’t know by how much. It’s a button I can guarantee I’ll never press.

While not required, Honda recommends running 91 octane fuel for best performance.

The wheels on the Sport trim are 18” as opposed to 16” or 17” on the other Civic trims and mine came wrapped in low-profile 235/40/R18 Continental ContiProContact tires. Combined with the factory sport-tuned suspension, the ride is a little stiff, but not uncomfortable. Steering seems to be very crisp and responsive with a bit of understeer when driving hard through corners. You can feel and hear the road while you are driving but it’s a good feel, the kind that makes you appreciate how a car handles. I have driven some cars (and my wife’s Toyota RAV4 is one of them) where you are completely disconnected from the road and feel like you are floating along, rather than compelling the car to bend to your will. The worst offenders I can think of are the Nissan Maxima and Honda Accord. In both cars, I felt almost out of control, especially when accelerating and passing on a two-lane highway. It rained fairly hard a couple nights ago and I had to be out in the weather. Like my Celica before, the Civic has a tendency to want to hydroplane when water begins to pond on the roadway. Slowing down from 55 mph to 45 mph on the highway alleviated this.

Once again, I chose the automatic transmission over the manual gear box, but for completely different reasons this time around. In the past 18 years, I learned to drive stick but don’t see the benefit of it when 90% of my driving is on the interstate or in stop-and-go city traffic. It’s a constant hassle that I would rather not have to deal with during my long commute. The transmission is a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) that supplies a near-endless combination of gear ratios to keep the engine running at nominal performance. I have heard horror stories about CVTs experiencing an early demise, but I have heard the same stories about non-CVT transmissions and manual gearboxes alike. Honda has built a reputation for having very reliable cars and I am taking them up on that reputation. Having said that, a CVT in a car like this can be a little unsettling. When you accelerate, you expect to feel the transmission shift as it hits its shift points and with a CVT, that just doesn’t happen. The acceleration keep going, and going, and going with no shift. It’s like you have a very long first gear. It’s not bad, it’s just different. Driving in stop-and-go traffic yields different results. The car sometimes jerks slightly when inching forward or driving slowly through a parking lot, which I have read is the CVT trying to find the correct gear and this is normal. It’s usually not noticeable, though and is quickly forgotten. There is a “sport” mode on the shifter that turns the transmission into a seven-speed clutch-less gearbox operated by paddle shifters on the steering wheel but I have not yet tried it out. For what it’s worth, my Celica had a “manual” mode on the transmission that turned it into a four-speed gearbox with shifter buttons on the steering wheel. It was fun to play with once or twice but the novelty quickly wore off and I never used it again.

The Sport comes with cloth seats instead of leather and I welcome this since my Celica, my wife’s RAV4, and her Mazda 3 before that all had leather seats which I find hot and sticky in the summer and cold and hard in the winter. The seats up front are quite firm and comfortable. I am just shy of 6 feet tall and weight in at 260 lbs (damn pizza and beer!) and the seats feel good to me. I commute about and hour each way to work and home every day and I do not get tired or uncomfortable sitting in the seats for that amount of time. There is ample headroom, which I am not used to, since the roof line of my old Celica sat several inches lower than the Civic. I always knew it was time for a haircut when I could feel my hair touching the headliner. There is enough leg room in the back for an adult to sit comfortably without moving the driver’s seat completely under the steering wheel. The cloth material the seats are made of do tend to attract pet hair so I have a feeling I will toting a lint roller around with me since we have three dogs.

The infotainment system is about as basic as they come nowadays. The factory head unit has a non-touch 5” display without a CD player. My only audio options are AM/FM radio, streaming via bluetooth, or directly connecting a USB stick or media device to the 1 amp USB port in a hidden cubby under the center console. As is usually the case, direct connection via USB sounds better than bluetooth streaming so I only use bluetooth for phone calls. I like to keep my iPhone in my front left trouser pocket so that meant I had to dig out my phone and plug it into the USB port every time I climbed into the car. That in itself is a little annoying but it was quickly made more annoying by the fact that Honda didn’t account for larger phones when they designed the center dash console. When connecting your phone via USB, you either have to fumble around by your knees in the hidden cubby, or run the USB cable up into a second cubby just forward of the shifter and underneath the radio. There is a nice rubberized finish in this cubby to keep your phone from sliding about and a simple cable management system to hold your USB cable in place but it turns out that my iPhone 7+ is too big to fit correctly in the top cubby. There’s not enough room unless I turn the phone at a 45 degree angle inside the cubby and even that puts more stress on the lightning port than I like. I could use a longer USB cable and lay my phone in the passenger seat but I don’t like that and it once again involves me digging my phone out of my pocket every time I get in the car. After a few days of this, I ended up buying a 128GB iPod touch which holds my entire music collection and tucks away nicely in the upper cubby. As soon as I can find a suitable case with a rubberized back, the iPod will transfer to the lower cubby where it will be completely out of sight. Now I can keep my iPhone tucked away in my pocket again. All is good.

I don’t like that the Sport trim doesn’t include Apple CarPlay. You have to get the EX trim or above to get factory CarPlay functionality. The good thing about the Sport trim’s head unit is that nothing is integrated into it except radio controls, phone controls, and the backup camera so I can swap it out with a CarPlay head unit whenever I choose. I have looked at a couple of different head unit options from Sony (XAV-AX100 seems to be the current top choice) and Alpine but I’m pretty satisfied with the stock unit so I may never change it out. We’ll see. If I do replace the head unit, I will probably go with the Alpine iLX-107 since it offers wireless CarPlay.

There is ample storage in the center console under the arm rest and there is even a cup holder big enough to hold a large Yeti cup. Curiously enough, the glove compartment doesn’t lock. This is the first car I have owned without a lockable glove compartment. When I go walking after work, I would usually lock my wallet in the glove compartment so I didn’t have to tote it with me in the pocket of my running shorts. This bothers me a little bit so I may have to start carrying it with me again when I walk.

Storage in the cargo area is good enough for groceries and to hold my backpack and transport packages to the UPS Store for work. Like most other modern hatchbacks, crossovers, and SUVs, there is a cargo cover which hides the contents of your cargo area from plain view when the hatch is closed.

Overall, I love this car. It is comfortable and handles well with enough power to get me where I need to go. After driving it for about two weeks, I still can’t wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Highly recommended.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
A good friend of mine was stationed in Japan while he was in the army. He said Japanese people rate cars as:
1 Toyota
2 Honda
3 Nissan

I’ve had very well made cars from Toyota and Nissan. Honda’s are great as well.
I currently have two Toyota’s, my 2000 Tundra bought new with 286,000 miles and my 2011 FJ Cruiser bought new with 225,000 miles. I’ve often considered buying a Honda. Enjoy your new ride.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm currently sans car payment for the first time in my life. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is paid off and I'm still digging it.

And yet I'd like something that's a bit more sporty. I've been noodling getting a roadster or convertible for the weekends. And keeping the Jeep.

And now the Tesla Model Y has me rethinking that. It's a crossover, part SUV part sedan. It's slightly bigger than a model 3, slightly smaller than my jeep. It goes 300 miles on a charge. And 0-60 in 5.5 plus can be upgraded to autopilot with full autonomous coming later this year for a hefty charge. AWD is an option, but I'm not sure I'd pay for it.
https://www.tesla.com/modely

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm currently sans car payment for the first time in my life. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is paid off and I'm still digging it.

And yet I'd like something that's a bit more sporty. I've been noodling getting a roadster or convertible for the weekends. And keeping the Jeep.

And now the Tesla Model Y has me rethinking that. It's a crossover, part SUV part sedan. It's slightly bigger than a model 3, slightly smaller than my jeep. It goes 300 miles on a charge. And 0-60 in 5.5 plus can be upgraded to autopilot with full autonomous coming later this year for a hefty charge. AWD is an option, but I'm not sure I'd pay for it.
https://www.tesla.com/modely

Congrats on being car payment-free, Sam. It's a great feeling. We've been that way for over 20 years, since we usually keep our cars for 8-10 years. So, we basically started "paying ourselves" the car payments so we could just pay for a new vehicle outright when the time came. With cars getting more expensive all the time, though, it's becoming more difficult to do. My wife is due for a new vehicle soon to replace her 2009 Saturn Vue, and we may lease for the first time. She puts very few miles on her vehicles (she only has 68,000 on her Saturn over 11 years), so a low mileage 3 year lease probably makes more sense. We use my vehicle, which we own, for long trips.

As for the Tesla, our well-to-do nephew just got one a few months ago -- not sure which model. Personally, I cannot image spending that much money on a car. He and his wife are in to "status symbol" items, though, so it didn't surprise me when they got one.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Not having payments is wonderful. I've been payment free for about 3 years now. I was going to trade mine last year, but another year of no payment was too good to pass up since my car was running well and has relatively low miles.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, you like the Cherokee? I was car shopping in late 2013, which was before the Cherokee was reintroduced. A buddy was a salesman at the local Chrysler dealer and I got a Grand Cherokee. Funny how cars have changed since I got the Bravada it replaced in 1994. Between those two cars, I jumped completely past car CD players. The Bravada had a cassette deck, and the GC only plays files. No CD player. The Bravada was the "fully loaded" version of the good old S-10 Blazer. Basically, it had no options. It just came with everything conceivable. Yet, my "base model" GC (4WD is the only addition from the rock bottom model) is more loaded than the Bravada was. And it was only $2K more than the Bravada was in 1994, meaning it was actually cheaper. But, I got a good deal. That's how much cars changed in 20 years. Anyway, I got my folks a Cherokee last year. Well, they paid for it, but I did the foot work and dealt with the dealer. They're in their late 80s and in no mood for that. Seems really nice. They added more gadgets than I did.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, I have a fully loaded Cherokee Trailhawk. It is seriously baller. Even if I get another car I am not trading this in. I will never get another car that doesn't have a subwoofer. =)

I was sold on it having 29mpg. Then I got one with a trailer package, that knocks 5mpg off right there. I get 22 if I am lucky. Only regret!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have a Chrysler also- 2015 Charger SXT. Love it- has enough balls for me with the 3.6L, and gets more than 30 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately it’s flagging idiot lights (traction control and ABS) at 36,300 miles (the original warranty had already expired due to time anyway). Ugh.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have been thinking of getting a Civic as it was rated among the best cars for people with back trouble. My current car, a 2010 Mazda 3, is great but tends to be uncomfortable on longer trips. How do you find the Civic in terms of seat adjustment options and comfort?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Mine is the Sport model so it only has basic seat adjustments. The higher end models will have more adjustment options that I don’t have. Having said that, over the past two weeks, I drove it to Georgia and back (10 hours each way) and it wasn’t uncomfortable. I also don’t suffer from back troubles so your mileage may vary.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim

Agreed - it's a great feeling. I paid my 2008 vehicle off years ago, and am still enjoying not having that stupid monthly car payment to deal with.

One of the many reasons I'm keeping my older car is because it has a CD player built in. I'm old-skool & still enjoy listening to CD's - it's my #1 preferred way of listening to music, even with all the other options available to us (digital, etc.). I know a lot of newer cars don't have CD players at all, so I think I'll forego getting a new car as long as possible - LOL.

And, even though this is an older car, it's only the second car I bought with a CD player built into the dashboard. I remember that during the '80's & '90's, if you wanted a CD player in your car you had to get a stand-alone one & somehow attach it to the dashboard (never did this), or just place the stand-alone player inside the dashboard somehow. During this era, I knew several people who got their cars broken into & their players stolen because they left them in the car - in plain sight.

Last edited:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
When shopping for a car in 2018, I purposedly purchased the last of the 2017 Camrys specifically because it was the last Camry model with a built-in CD player. I hope my 2017 lasts me for many, many years for this reason alone.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's one thing I'll miss in my next car. I still have a large collection of CD's and listen to them in the car quite a bit. Though I do probably use my MP3 player as much or more, so I can probably adapt if forced to.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My new vehicle (a 2018 GMC Acadia) didn't come with a CD player, and I do not miss it one bit. I don't think I ever used the CD player in my previous car -- a 2011 GMC Terrain. I have my entire CD collection digitized to high bit rate MP3's and have copied a lot of it to a 32GB USB thumb drive that I keep plugged into the car at all times. It's like having a gigantic CD changer in the car, with quick, easy access to any song -- I think I have about 4,000 songs on it. In the noisy environment of a moving vehicle, it's impossible for me to notice any sound quality difference between the MP3s and CDs. I would never go back to playing CDs in the car, even if I could.

I usually have the car's player on random play. We have taken numerous long road trips (2,500+ miles) where we only here the same song repeated 2 or 3 times. That's a lot better than satellite radio.

We are planning on replacing my wife's 2009 Saturn Vue soon, and she is also concerned about losing her CD player. I told her I would do the same with her CDs (I think most of them are already in my digital library, because I am in charge of putting music on her iPod). She is giving me that "I don't like change" look, but I know she will appreciate it quickly once she tries it. She already doesn't miss being in charge of swapping CDs when we travel.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thumbs up for getting a car paid off and enjoying that for a bit before the next car. :)

I'm in a 2016 Subaru Legacy. My previous car, a 2004 Honda Accord died prematurely -- broken axle in 2015. I got the axle fixed and immediately started car shopping. I'd wanted to wait another year or so until Car Play was commonplace and I could buy it. But the Honda had reached the point of being more trouble than it was worth. The 2016 Accords I did not like. Finally settled, to my surprise, on the Legacy. It's a good car, drives comfortable with ok mileage and all the safety features that were hitting mid-range sedans in 2016 (lane changing, lane maintenance, adaptive cruise).

But my Subaru doesn't have Car Play. I really want that feature, so I'm tempted to upgrade much sooner than normal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Chrysler also- 2015 Charger SXT. Love it- has enough balls for me with the 3.6L, and gets more than 30 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately it’s flagging idiot lights (traction control and ABS) at 36,300 miles (the original warranty had already expired due to time anyway). Ugh.
My Grand Cherokee has the same engine. Even though it’s a lot heavier than the Charger, it is silly powerful. It actually scared me until I got the hang of it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have a fully loaded Cherokee Trailhawk. It is seriously baller. Even if I get another car I am not trading this in. I will never get another car that doesn't have a subwoofer. =)

I was sold on it having 29mpg. Then I got one with a trailer package, that knocks 5mpg off right there. I get 22 if I am lucky. Only regret!

I love my Trailhawk too. I have everything except the "technology package" because the added three grand wasn't worth it to me for the auto parallel parking . I briefly thought about getting another new car recently, and I stopped myself. What do I need that I don't have?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I love having Android Auto. I just tap Spotify and pick my playlist or "radio" channel and jam out on my car rides around town. I can't image ever wanting to deal with cd's. Or for that matter loading a bunch of music to a flash drive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I love having Android Auto. I just tap Spotify and pick my playlist or "radio" channel and jam out on my car rides around town. I can't image ever wanting to deal with cd's. Or for that matter loading a bunch of music to a flash drive.

Loading music onto a flash drive was a one-time event for me, so it really wasn't a big deal. Once completed, the thumb drive has stayed in the car permanently -- unless I purchase new music that I want to add, and it just takes a minute or two to add the new purchase to the thumb drive.

Music streaming can be convenient, but we drive in some areas where data coverage is spotty, so the music will cut in and out. Also, streamed music will be very compressed compared with my own MP3s. I have listened to Dash Radio via Android Auto, and it sounds a lot like AM radio quality when played through my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks