Finally broke and put in my DVD+R/RW burner. Questions...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by NickSo, Dec 22, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I finally broke down, and installed my HP 300i DVD+R/RW burner, and I have some questions.

Software:
    What software do you guys recommend for burning data and also video DVDs? I've been using Nero 6.0 for my CDs, is nero recommended for DVDs as well?

Converting video:
    I have some episodes of shows i recorded from tape in DivX format, what software is recommended to convert it so I can burn it to DVD?

I'll also be reading up at dvdrhelp.com later to get more info...

Thanks!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

That site should answer most of your questions.

I use Nero 6 to burn both CDs and DVDs. I simply burn DVDs in the ISO/UDF format and burn the "Video_TS" folder and the DVD-related files onto the blank DVD.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i use nero for dvds as well, works well for me. as for converting, i use tmpegenc encoder with kdvd templates and i have had excellent results. the templates are free, and there is a trial version of tmpegenc encoder. if you buy it, it is reasonable, unlike cinema craft encoder.

CJ

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The only that kills me about using TMPEnc for encoding a M2V DVD file from a non-compressed AVI file is that it takes forever to encode a 2 hour film (anywhere from 6 to 15 hours depending on quality setting used).

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    very true. when i encode something of considerable length, i do it overnight. this is when raw cpu speed comes in very handy, in math intensive applications. is CCE that much faster than tmpeg?

CJ

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, my computer is currently encoding some DivX files (about 6 videos, 25-ish minutes long) to DVD format, estimated time was 10 hrs... Still going as I type... next time i'll do it overnight...

I used nero express to make the DVDs, it was quite quick and painless... I guess its just very basic right now, i'll be able to better customize my settings as I get the hang of authoring more...

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, i got a problem...

WHen i try to encode something in mpg2 in TMPGEnc, it always overlays a 'entymonix.com' mark, what is this? How do i get rid of it?

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Are you sure that wasn't already on the DivX files being encoded?

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yes im sure...

I figured it out... the MPEG-2 codec i was using to encode was a trial version of one from entymonix... I just downlaoded a freeware MPEG-2 codec and its fine now...

I remember a program i used that let me see all the codecs i had on my computer and let me delete them and stuff, does anybody know what its called?