Finally bought the Paradigms, goodbye Bose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Brashear, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Kevin Brashear

All, (warning: wordy post)
    After 15 years of owning Bose AM-5's, and having my NOSE rubbed in it by my fellow audio/videophile best friend, I stepped up and got the Paradigms. Monitor 7's for my mains, CC370 for my center, and mini-monitors for my rears. That will go with my Tosh TN50X81, DirecTV, Tosh DST3000 ( not hooked up yet ) and the Velodyne sub I'll purchase from my buddy. ( He just bought a new Paradigm sub )Plus, I purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-33-TX this weekend as well. Yes, the income tax refund was spent for a good cause.
    I'm looking forward to getting everything hooked up, and especially having the HDTV going before The Masters golf tournament. I may need some advice hooking up the new HDTV unit too. ( antennas? Cabling? channels?)
    Within the next 6 months, the basement in my condo will be finished and will become my home theater room. I get to start with totally unfinished concrete floors/walls and a totally clean slate.
    I do have a question though. How best can I insulate my condo's basement so I can enjoy my new speakers and not make my neighbors upset. False walls with insulation? Wall coverings? Lead? Kevlar Wallpaper? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I'll send along some existing HT pictures when I get the new stuff all hooked up. Thanks again for everyones help and expertise in this forum.
    ~pumped~
    Kevin in Cincinnati [​IMG]
    P.S. Anyone care for a GREAT set of Bose AM-5's? Only 15 years old... ~snicker~

2. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Congrats! What a huge step up!
    I recently went from an AM10 to Paradigm Monitors, but it only took me two years to realize how big of a mistake I made. You will love the Paradigms. Just give them about 100 hours to break in, after that they will sound better.

4. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Definitely wait for the break in period. Then you'll have some sweet sound!

5. Kevin Brashear

What kind of things should be done for a proper "break in?" Low volume? High Volume? Or just time in general?

Thanks.

6. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

100 hours is a bit excessive... If they're not broken in after 40 or so they are never going to [​IMG]

7. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Kevin, I never rubbed your NOSE that hard did I?? You know I'll help you get this thing set up right with my SPL meter and Avia disc.
    Let's see, you are getting my old Velo sub, and I am getting your old Big Bertha. I wonder who will get the most enjoyment out their new toy!!! HAHA!! [​IMG]

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

To me, you suggest paradigm is better than bose, but the bose speakers are 15 years old...

I would be quite satisified if I had a speaker last that long.

9. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Chris,
    You are joking, right? [​IMG]

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

11. Dave Schofield

I just upgraded to this exact set too, just 2 weeks ago. [​IMG]

12. Kevin Brashear

Thanks for all the valuable info gang. The Monitor 7's haven't arrived yet, so I went ahead and just hooked up the Mini-Monitors by themselves last night. If the Mini's sound like that, I'm REALLY looking forward to having the whole sha-bang configured. The Monitor 7's with the Velodyne sub should make me the "hit" of the condominium complex. Again, I'll probably have to line the walls with Kevlar or something...[​IMG]
    I figure the BOSE AM-5's cost me about 43 dollars a year. ( 650/15 ) They are headed to the garage to continue their life as part of the garage stereo system.
    BTW, one of the guys at the office was asking about my latest purchase, and informed me that he got these "kick-butt" speakers from these guys in a van that just happened to have a few spare sets. No kidding!!! He said they're great. I didn't have the heart to tell him...[​IMG]

13. Dave Schofield

He knows their origin, he won't admit it though...

I am using the Minis for my mains right now too (I'm gradually moving out of my appartment, and the monster (when boxed) Monitor 7's were the first to go home) and I really like them. I'm planning on moving them to a bedroom system as soon as I can afford dipole surrounds.

14. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I bought Monitor 9's CC370 mini monitors and the ps1000 sub love'em. Have them powered by a H/K 320 reciever seems to be the perfect match.
    Mine did take 100+ hours to completly break in but now any one who comes over is pretty much amazed by the way the sound.
    My neighbors in my apartment love'em too. :p)
    This last weekend I had a friend over and he was demoing Spyro Gyro in just Stereo. We had cranked a little bit just at -15db or so when I turned it off we heard a neighbor cranking it as loud as he could trying to hang. He asked if he could hear Fast and the Furious in DTS at the racing scene against the train said OK. Turn it up to
    -10db and blew him away, Also everyone else in the process including my own ears.
    The H/K on claims to put out 55 watts/per channel in 5.1. Everyone knows they are way under rated but I could imagine 130+ going to these thing. Frightening [​IMG]

15. Kevin Brashear

Hopefully the Monitor 7's will be in today or tomorrow. Now I'm starting to think of all the DVD's and CD's that I need to try out on the new speakers. Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, T2 judgement day, Lawnmower Man, and the list goes on and on. But, the FIRST thing that will be played on the new speakers?? Rush DVD, Subdivisions ,then the rest of the DVD. Rush fan, you ask? Only if you consider 14 concerts since '81 and 24 CD's fanatical.... [​IMG]
    Thanks again guys for all the valuable input. This is a big decision, and it's terrific to hear opinions from folks who have been there/done that. Makes the decision a lot easier. Plus, I've "demoed" the Paradigms for 3 years at my buddys house. That helped tons, too!!!