What's new

Finally bought my first Superbit last night. (Fifth Element) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
and I was quite impressed with what I saw. I ended up going with The Fifth Element as my first Superbit experience. I had seen the movie once during it's opening week in theaters and I remember it not holding my attention that well at the time. That was a different time in my life though and I wasn't nearly the cinema fan I am now. :) I'm also about 6 years older.

I watched the movie on a Sony 36HS510 with a Sony NS725P dvd player. I was quite impressed with the picture quality and DTS track. I immediately noticed the smallest details that were visible in the opening "egyptian scene". To tell you the truth the movie itself even had me excited from the beginning. I was really impressed with the art style and visual flair the movie holds throughout. The aliens look cool and the whole "comical" feel of the movie was entertaining for sure. Clearly a better movie than I first thought. I can now understand how this movie has taken on a "cult classic" status. It's a solid sci-fi movie.

As for the visual quality wrap-up. I was impressed with my first ever Superbit viewing and I feel confident i'll purchase a few more in the future. I'm alredy tempted to check out "Men in Black" since i've always wanted to buy it but have yet to do so. I only noticed one small issue while viewing the Fifth Elelement. I had a slight bit of shimmering during the "reconstruction scene" early on in the movie. Some of the metallic pieces of the room seemed a little "jittery". Don't know if it's the dvd, my tv, or my dvd player. Otherwise the movie was perfect in the audio/video department. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan.B

Will K

Screenwriter
This was my first Superbit as well. It's just plain stunning. Haven't been nearly as impressed with others 'bits I've purchased.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
What do you guys think of the newer Superbit titles? I would assume they would have perfected the technology even more by now. I'm considering picking up Men in Black soon. I think thats the only other title I really want right now. Spiderman will likely follow in the fall. :)

Dan.B

Craig W

Second Unit
Dan B,

There really is not any special technology at work. The only thing that they are doing is removing the excessive extras. This allows the movies to have higher average bitrates.

The only thing that is different with some of the Superbit titles is they are encoded with a seamless layer change so you will not experience a pause when the laser refocuses on the next layer. But this is technically out of the DVD specification so I don't know if they are using it on newer titles. 5th Element has it, but Mask of Zorro does not. Not sure if they are still using it.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
ANy chance we'll get a Superbit Deluxe of this title down the road? Germany has an SE an I'd liek to get it in R1 at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks