What's new

Finally bought FIREFLY! (1 Viewer)

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
I finished Firefly and I can't think of one episode that I consider "weak", I honestly can't. The last episode was truly inspired but it sure left me wanting more episodes.
Oh, and I Loved Serenity! I was a little surprised about the fate of a couple of the characters, but that's just the way it is sometimes. If this is the last we hear or see of these characters, which I hope to god is not, they certainly bowed out with a lot of grace and dignity. Great movie and did a good job of tying up some loose ends.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Patrick Sun said:
Whenever I see all this Firefly/Serenity love, somewhere in the back of my mind, I ask myself "Where were y'all in the fall of 2002?"
Sitting in front of my TV on a Friday night, grousing "What!? It's pre-empted AGAIN?! When's it coming back?!?!" I'm one of the fortunate (?) souls who was watching from the beginning. I'd come late to the party on "Buffy" and "Angel," but knew I'd at least want to check out anything new that Joss did, so that was must-see TV for me before the first episode even aired.
Great post, Patrick. I felt the same about the screenings; it was the best theatrical experience I've had in a long time. I second the invitation to check out local Browncoat groups. I've met some really nice folks and we've had some fun shindigs. And if you get the chance, a panel with the stars is a must. It's always entertaining and they seem to be having such a great time together. I hope they'll get the chance to work together again soon!

Mary_P

Second Unit
Oops, a P.S.: If you're in the Cleveland area, there's a big shindig being planned for this Sunday, October 1:
http://www.adamwhiting.com/Firefly/SNEN-CLE/
It's an all-day event, with several episodes, the movie, and lots of extras being shown from noon till midnight. Costume contest, raffle, lots of swag for sale, the whole shebang. Sounds like a good party!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I borrowed the DVD set from my nephew on his advice and really liked this series. I borrowed Serinity after completing the series. I was also surprised at a couple of things but it was a good movie to end (for now?) the story.

I didn't see this series when it aired on Fox. I assume the "ratings monster" killed this series. Anyone know what was shown on the other broadcast networks opposite Firefly at the time?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Jeff Willis said:
Anyone know what was shown on the other broadcast networks opposite Firefly at the time?
A lot of things. ;)
Firefly's timeslot changed all the time, which was another part of the problem.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Jeff Willis said:
I assume the "ratings monster" killed this series. Anyone know what was shown on the other broadcast networks opposite Firefly at the time?
Good assumption. I seem to recall that overall ratings were sliding for Friday nights, a trend that continued after "Firefly" vacated the slot. Each successive series in that slot seemed to do a little worse.
Re: the competition, according to Epguides.com:
ABC - America's Funniest Home Videos
CBS - 48 Hours
NBC - Providence
UPN - UPN Friday Movie
WB - What I Like About You/Sabrina
(See the whole grid at: http://epguides.com/grid/fall_2002.shtml)
I think the timeslot -- at least in my market -- was fairly consistent, though it may have had a delayed start a time or two. But it was pre-empted several times throughout its three-month run.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Paul McElligott said:
's timeslot changed all the time, which was another part of the problem.
No, it didn't. It was on Friday its whole run.
I also don't think it was preempted all that much either. I know Jeff Kleist was going off about Baseball at the time, but I think they only missed one showing because of Baseball.
I think the biggest problem is that Friday seems to be the death slot for most TV shows. I haven't found too many that were able to succeed there (short of what Sci-Fi has done).
Jason

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, finally, after all of this time, I bought the Firefly DVD set, and boy am I pissed. Pissed that this show was cancelled so early! Sure, I'm glad Serenity tied up a lot of the loose ends, but it would have been nice to see this show continue telling the story at its intended pace.

I especially liked River's two lines of: "No power in the 'Verse can stop me." and "I can kill you with my brain." Some of the effect of those lines was a little dampened because I saw the movie first, but they were still cool.

It's a shame this show didn't last.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
George_W_K said:
Well, finally, after all of this time, I bought the Firefly DVD set....
It's a shame this show didn't last.
If they had known you were going to pick up on the show 5 years later, I'm sure they would have hung on. ;)
I didn't have cable when they were first run, what was your excuse?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ha, you didn't need cable to watch Firefly as it was on FOX! Now, what's your excuse!:laugh:
Mine is, I wasn't sure I could handle having a partial show. And if it weren't for Serenity, I'd be more aggravated that I couldn't get the answers I wanted.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
George_W_K said:
Ha, you didn't need cable to watch Firefly as it was on FOX! Now, what's your excuse!:laugh:
For quite a few years I wasn't getting any TV out where I live. Too remote.
Glad we both got to see the show and movie eventually.
Last week I saw some handyman magazine with a cover story on garage workshops.
In the garage on the cover stood a motorcycle with a couple of guys nearby.
The tank on the bike was custom painted with the SERENITY logo.
It was very cool.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Patrick Sun said:
Whenever I see all this Firefly/Serenity love, somewhere in the back of my mind, I ask myself "Where were y'all in the fall of 2002?" (But I digress.)
Well, really, it wouldn't have mattered unless we have any Nielsen participants in this thread. It's just a flawed, antiquated system that is used to determine viewership for a show.
Although, with the way Fox handled the show, I doubt it would've mattered much anyway. Heck, they had a potential hit with Fastlane during the same season Firefly premiered and they basically sabotaged that one themselves.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Ryan-G said:
Here's to hoping that Firefly doesn't end with the movie!
Joss has pretty much found sanctuary in comic books. Like Buffy, that's where Firefly/Serenity is going to be resurrected (although word is that the events in the comic series will take place prior to "Serenity").

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
BrandonJF said:
Well, really, it wouldn't have mattered unless we have any Nielsen participants in this thread. It's just a flawed, antiquated system that is used to determine viewership for a show.
While the Neilsens aren't perfect, they're fairly accurate. You can ask 100 people if they watch CSI or Drive and you'll get a lot more people saying that they watch CSI and that's the same thing that the Neilsen ratings would tell you too. Firefly didn't have any audience when it aired and that's Fox's fault and not a failing of the Neilsen ratings.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We got Firefly (BD) for Christmas and finished watching it last night. I figured out why I didn't connect strongly to it originally or this time around: my favorite sci-fi/adventure shows have "big" stories. Characters shape the world, universe. Good vs evil. Hero vs Big Bad. Firefly is not that. It's character drama about small, flawed people with small, flawed lives who don't much matter to the greater universe. It had a lot of potential for what it was, but it's not what I'm normally after.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by DaveF
We got Firefly (BD) for Christmas and finished watching it last night. I figured out why I didn't connect strongly to it originally or this time around: my favorite sci-fi/adventure shows have "big" stories. Characters shape the world, universe. Good vs evil. Hero vs Big Bad. Firefly is not that. It's character drama about small, flawed people with small, flawed lives who don't much matter to the greater universe. It had a lot of potential for what it was, but it's not what I'm normally after.
Have you seen the follow up movie "Serenity" yet? While it has been a while, my recollection is that their flawed lives do in the end get thrust into a situation that does matter to the greater universe.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw it a couple of years ago, before watching the series (my wife has not yet seen it). I'll probably rewatch it this weekend. I assume it represents where the show meant to be in five seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks