Finally beat Halo...2 questions, though...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Falasco, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I finally beat Halo on Normal difficulty. I estimate it took me between 25 and 35 hours. What a great game--that final part was amazing!! I do have two questions, though.
    One of the levels (Level 8, I believe), is called Two Betrayals. I know the first betrayal was that chirpy little Monitor (the bastard!!!)
    . Anyone know the second one? I never figured that out.
    The other question has to do with the very end, after the credits:
    It looked like the Monitor was sailing along through space, much like Darth Vader at the end of Star Wars (the original). Was that just a seque to the final title card, or was that setting the stage for the sequel, do you think?
    Can't wait to restart on Heroic difficulty now! [​IMG]

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I didn't read your spoilers as I'm playing it on Heroic. I am in the "Library" following the floating sphere while getting my ass handed to me. [​IMG]
    How far into the game do you think I am? More than half way....?
    Thanks,

3. Dave Falasco

Wow, you STARTED on Heroic? You're a brave man, Micheal! [​IMG]
    You are on level 7 of ten, I believe. I think after the Library is Two Betrayals, then Keyes, and The Maw. (I didn't use spoiler tags because you can see the chapter titles right on the level select screen, and they really don't give anything away). In my opinion, the Library is the toughest of all the levels, simply because of the sheer number of Flood you have to waste. (As I'm sure you are finding out!)
    Not that the later levels are much easier, but I know for me the Library was the toughest challenge. It made me wish I could carry 600 shotgun shells instead of just 60! [​IMG] It must be just sick on Heroic difficulty. And Legendary?!? Fuggeddaboudit...

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I actually started it on Legendary but I was having problems with the controller (it was my first time using it) so that didn't last too long. [​IMG]
    Heroic is tough but I'm getting by, when in doubt... shoot![​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You might as well just play the game in legendary to see the extended ending. Unless you really want to beat it 3x. I just did once in normal, then once in legendary. Played the last level twice in legendary because it was too much fun!! As for your questions:

1) Could the other betrayal be when you find that Captain Keyes was assimilated by the flood and they were using him in order to view the Maw's records in order to find out about Earth? Which is why you had to kill him. (biiiigg guess here)

2) It better be a sequel!! There are SOOO many questions left unanswered like what are the flood and where did they come from? Who built Halo? etc... I think it pretty much has to be implying for a sequel with an ending like that, not to mention when the Master Sergeant (you) says, "I think this is just the beginning," before taking off his helmet.

6. Dave Falasco

Whoa, there's an extended ending in Legendary?? Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I doubt I have what it takes to beat the game in Legendary, but I'll do my best. Do you have to beat all the levels? Or just The Maw in Legendary? (To get the extended ending, I mean.) Part of me is hoping just The Maw, but the non-cheesy part of me is hoping you really have to earn the ending by mastering the whole game in Legendary.

Thanks for your feedback on my questions, too. I'll buy both of your explanations, they sound reasonable to me. One more point:

Based on the success of the game so far, I figured a sequel was assured. I was just wondering if the Monitor was going to play a pivotal role in it, since it is last seen humming to itself out in space as Halo crashes and burns. Personally, I can't wait!!

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The cheesiness in you can rejoice! [​IMG] You just have to beat the Maw in legendary to get the extended ending.
    As for the Monitor playing a vital role in the sequel, I don't even think Bungie knows. [​IMG] The story of this game is so shrowded, I've done many searches and can't find an explanation of the story beyond 4-5 paragraphs. [​IMG]
    And have you heard of the Cortanna letters? There were a bunch of fictional logged events that were emailed to a couple of videogame publishings that told a little more about the story. They were traced back to an employee over at Bungie, but he still denies he ever did it!
    As you can tell I want more Halo too!!!

8. Dave Falasco

Wow, Scott, you are like my own personal Cortana! (And I mean that strictly in a "Yoda-type-who-knows-all-the-answers" way, not a "Female-artificial-construct-who-despite-having-geometric-shapes-all-over-her-is-still-surprisingly-attractive" way, of course.) [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the info, man! I'm going to try the Maw on Legendary as soon as I get home tonight. My wife will be thrilled to know that despite my statements to the contrary yesterday, I am in fact not finished with the game after all! I'll have to quote the Master Chief's final line to her... [​IMG]

9. Jeff Barnett

Jeff Barnett Extra

Me and my friend beat Halo on Legendary, but he said the ending only differed from the normal difficulty ending by one small scene. Did he miss something. I wish I knew how to do spoiler formatting where I could confirm the scene.

10. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure that it is only that one extra scene that you get.

As for doing spoliers, there is a spoiler button right above when you are posting your message. It also inclues things like, rant tags, quote, image, urls, bold, italics, etc, etc.

11. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Well... I made it past the Flood on Heroic last night... at least I think I did. I'm at the part where I'm shutting down the reactors. Am I done with the Flood?
    P.S. Can someone please tell me what the cut scene was between the Swamp and the Library? I was fighting away in the Swamp and I may have been hitting the buttons a little too furiously because next thing I knew I was following this probe droid around in the library... [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Mike

12. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Micheal,

Just going on memory here, but...

That cut scene shows the Monitor (the anal probe) telling you that it's job is to ensure that the Flood does not escape the compund, as they destroy everything in their path. So you agree to help this Monitor find the Index, which is some type of Key that will activate something that will contain the Flood (ambiguous on purpose - you will find out more at the end of the level).

Jared

13. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I just finished Halo over this past weekend and, while I definitely loved the game, and can't wait for a Halo II, I have to admit, I was bummed out about destroying the Halo!! I really wanted to see more of it. Thinking of a sequel, which I'd be damn near willing to bet my soul on, what could possibly be the story for the next one? After all, Halo is history. I also didn't really like the fact that after the swamp, you didn't see your buddies anymore. It was all aliens/flood. I would've liked to have had a level or 2 more with your human friends. Also, in mho the outdoor levels were easily the most spectacular. Indoor ones didn't impress me all that much. Would love to have had a few more of the outdoor levels during the day. They were just so incredible to look at!

Those are just some gripes. Other than that, the game is fantabulous.

Oh yeah, here's another small gripe;

I personnaly felt that, even though the game was pretty long, I would've liked to have seen our side of the battle build some sort of home base on Halo to do our missions from. Maybe have a few missions where we'd have to protect it from Covenant attack, ect. It would just seem normal that after crash landing on Halo, you'd find all the soldiers that you could that survived the escape from the Pillar of Autumn, and then try to organize a resistance force based out of a common locale. Halo followed a well thought out plan except, in mho, the organization of the troops. You kinda just landed, found who was alive and then went after Covenant without organizing.

I know we all loved the game but, what are some of the gripes you other guys have had?

14. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Hmm... responding to a spoiler in a spoiler. Why not! [​IMG]