What's new

Finally.....AVR-3802 with B&W 303 , LCR3 (1 Viewer)

SudheerK

Auditioning
Hi all,
Finally I made that step. I picked up 3802 from retailer yesterday along with 2 more 303s and an LCR3. Thanks for the HT group here which was very helpful in making this major decision. Special thanks for those who contributed to my questions.
I hooked up everything and started to listen to some music first. I was very happy to notice that the details in musical instruments were very clear. And the female voice was smooth and warm.
Still I have one concern.
I really like the tight punchy bass. What I had was an old pioneer reciever hooked up to the 303s previously. There were very good at producing decent bass from 303s though cannot come close in details to 3802. But bass from 3802 was not getting tight whichever mode I tried. Do you guys think of any reason why this is happening?
Do you think adding a sub like SA-WM40 or SVS will bring up the tight bass from denon?
I am planning for an SVS later. But in the mean time I may go for SONY SA-WM40.
I also tried Gladiator on 3802 and it was great. In one scene where Russel Crow was taken to the forest to be killed and when he throws his sword in the air.... I could feel the sword pass through just above my head.
I have yet to try the DPLII and other stuff.
Let me know what you guys think about this setup. I also had my eye on Marantz 7200 but I had no chance to listen to it yet. Anybody has done any comparison betweend these two? I have 2 weeks to return this if any of you can help me prove that I had better choices in their price range.
thanks,
Sudheer
------------------

SudheerK

Auditioning
Yesterday I did some more testing to compare the 3802 DIRECT mode with my old PIONEER SX 255R 2 channel receiver.
I hooked up my a pair of 303s to Denon (Coaxial from DVD) and other pair with Pioneer (standard RCA from dvd) and switched between the two while listening to music. On the high frequency side Denon performed better than Pioneer. But on the bass side Pioneer is producing more punchy effects. As I mentioned earlier on the Movie side Denon is very very good. But my main listening area is music.
Any body please help me figure this out.
Is it my speakers?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks