What's new

Finally an official RAMONES DVD (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Anyone else excited to get Ramones Raw?

One of the best features will be a 20 minute Italian concert that was only showed once on Italian TV. I can't wait!

--Ian

Brendon

Second Unit
Ian,

Sign me up for this. To say I was obsessed with the band in the early 90s would be an understatement - I LOVED these guys! Three memorable concerts, including one where I blew half a months wages in 1995 on a round trip to London to see them one last time.

One of my first ever DVD purchases back in 1998 was RnR High School - I could never track it down on VHS in Britain, so that was like finally finding the Holy Grail.

Whlist I'll pick up the DVD in a heartbeat, I'm wondering how much footage it will have in common with both the End of the Century film (please put out on DVD soon!) and the VHS Around the World with the Ramones, put out by Marky in the late 90s.

However it comes, I just hope the concert footage is an improvement of that in the We're Outta Here video. Excellent archived footage, lousy camera work on the band's final performance.

As a brief aside, have you read Monte Melnick's On Tour With The Ramones book ? If not, it comes highly recommended!

Cheers,

Brendon

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This definitely looks like a buy for me.

Will it contain any or all of their official videos? I don't think they had very many, so it seems reasonable that they would be included in this set.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i heard about this last month and have been excited ever since, i cant wait for this. 5 hours of material on one DVD? isnt that pushing it?

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

I don't think so. Although there are supposed to be 12 easter eggs and they had 12 videos from thier Sire days. I think all told they had 15(?) videos. I hope that it either has them all or none, because if it has some they might not put out a seperate release of just the videos.

Has anyone seen the Dee Dee Ramone documentary yet? Its called Hey Is Dee Dee Home. Its not too bad.

--Ian

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow!

I had no idea that they had that many videos. I think, I've only seen "I Wanna Be Sedated", "Rock and Roll High School", and "Pet Cemetary".

I'm in for a seperate DVD of their videos.

Brendon

Second Unit
Ian,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjyed Monte's memoirs - hearing What'd ya do ? on Sub Jungle is a different experience knowing the Joey/Linda/Johnny thing.

I've not seen the Dee Dee interview DVD yet - I did look into getting it, but the onyl reviews I found suggested it was snippets of interview footage filmed for a Johnny Thunders documentary, and the conversation focused on that.

However if the disc comes recommended, I'll certainly look into getting it. It's a shame BBC radio over here in the UK don't publish more of their "unique" recordings. Around 96/97 or so, the late night programme on BB Radio 1 had a week long series of clips of Dee Dee reading Dr. Seuss (I think) - Long and Short to Goblin City ? Hearing his NYC twang reading out those stories and ryhmes was a treat!

We're Outta Here is apparently out on DVD here in the UK in September, although I have no idea of the quality. As I'd gone to great lengths and expense to import the WOH CD/VHS set, and the presentation of the material itself being somewhat below par (content as expected is excellent!) I'll pass on the DVD.

Has there been any rumours of the End of the Century documentary ever getting a DVD release after it's limited theatrical rounds ?

I'm also curious if there is any intention to film the 30th Anniversary concert/celebration (no matter how ill advised I feel the notion may be) ?

If the Raw set does not include the music videos, I'd sure like to see a disc released with all of them. I've only seen the "Touring" video post Brain Drain - did they do any more from Mondo, Acid or Adios ?

Finally on my long list of questions, has anyone heard anything of the DVD-A of Don't Worry About Me, Joey's posthumous album ?

I'll cool it with the questions now!

Brendon

Second Unit

Eric,

From the back sleeve of the Lifestyles of the Ramones VHS (1990):

1. Do You Remember Rock'n'Roll Radio ? (1980)
2. Rock'n'Roll High School (1980)
3. We Want The Airwaves (1981)
4. Psychotherapy (1983)
5. Time Has Come Today (1983)
6. Howling At The Moon (Sha-La-La) (1984)
7. Something To Believe In (1986)
8. I Wanna Live (1987)
9. I Wanna Be Sedated (1988)
10. Pet Semetary (1989)
11. Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) (1989)
12. I Believe In Miracles (1990)

This was also released on Laserdisc (I think) but has never had a subsequent rerelease.

Whilst I appreciate that VHS is akin to the Eddison Cylinder now and has been for some time, I might be worth tracking down the VHS on eBay or the like if you are anxious to see the music videos. Always assuming that they don't make it onto Raw that is.

Brendon

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i just realized while reading a review of this DVD at dvdtalk, that this is evidently a special edition of the aforementioned marky ramone home video, Ramones Around the World aka RAW, which wasnt very great, but with some nice extras.

DaveButcher

Stunt Coordinator
Will get this the day it comes out, one of the few great bands I didn't get to see (and had a few a chances).

And finally a decent copy of the "Something to Believe In" video, best video EVER.

Hands Across Your Face!

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Brendon,

Not really Around The World more like Around The World Part 2. Marky has something like 200 video tapes of footage. I don't think anything is really duplicated.

--Ian

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
End Of The Century is screening here in Pittsburgh starting Sept 24th, if anyone is from around here.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Picked up the disc yesterday. Not bad. It is all Marky Ramone camcorder stuff but there are some great clips like all the Italian TV clips. There is also some good stuff from a Finland production as well. They call it the definative Ramones DVD but without the music videos that is hardly the case. Hopefully we will get some CD reissues from Rhino and maybe they will see to putting out a music video DVD.

--Ian

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Yeah I meant to say "some more CD issues", Animal Boy , Halfway To Sanity and Brain Drain are whats left with Sire/WB so hopefully Rhino will do those soon.

-Ian

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
"This was also released on Laserdisc (I think) but has never had a subsequent rerelease."

You are correct, it was released on LD.
Comming from a proud owner of Lifestyles Of The Ramones LD!

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

All over Ebay there is a region 0 DVD of the videos from Brazil. Supposedly official, but I have my doubts. I transfered my Lifestyles LD to DVD-R and that is holding me over until a legit one is released. RAMONES RAW is only the second release from the Ramones to get a GOLD award. Which is really sad.

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks