FINALLY!!! A/V-1+'s in Cherry!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

OK guys! Here are my A/V-1+'s in cherry veneer with a semi-gloss polyurethane finish!
    Just click here!

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Nice! I like it!!

I just applied the last coat of finish on my Cherry AV1+'s last night and will be assembling them today. I should have pics soon. I like the way yours turned out! Did you just use the poly? I went with a 50/50 semi-gloss poly/boiled linseed oil for the first 4 coats then went to hand rubbed poly for the last 3 coats. It turned out really nice.

Darren

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Thanks Darren! The finish was done with a product from a company called Old Dad's. The sell only to unfinished furniture stores under the store's brand name.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Those look great, Brian! That grain is not the usual cherry grain. Did you ask him for "figured" grain? Have you decided to go with natural color finish and not try to darken cherry?

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Thanks Hank! No, I didn't ask for figured grain. I just ordered 3 sheets of cherry and this is what I got! Remember this is the NBL stuff. For whatever reason it looks SOOOO much better than the paperbacked stuff. The other two sheets aren't quite as figured as this, but I took the best sheet for myself!

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hey Brian,

Did you find that the non paper backed stuff was thicker or thinner? I hate routing with the flush trim bit on the paper backed stuff because it never gets all the paper, it sticks to the glue instead and you end up sanding dangerously deep. I'd like to try the non backed stuff. What was the cost difference? I got some really sweet cherry with figure in it, it has what can almost be described as ray fleck patterns, really cool and holographic looking! I hate the paper though.

Darren

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,

It's a wood backed veneer and it's thicker than the paperbacked stuff. It's called NBL (No Black Line) veneer. A single sheet is $62.40 whereas the paperbacked is $38.20. But "Premium Cherry" paperbacked is $12 more. AFAIK the NBL stuff is premium grade. The difference is obvious sitting side by side.

The downside is that it's harder to get a seamless edge with the NBL, but I've never had a bit of trouble with it bubbling and it trims much easier. I trim with a small spiral downcut flush trim bit in my laminate trimmer. Works great on paperbacked and NBL veneer.

8. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Brian,

What size sheet are you talking about? It costs 64 bucks for a 4X8 paper backed sheet here... I'd be interested in the wood backed if I can get it for a similar or slightly higher price.

Darren

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    WOW!
    Very Nice Brian. So how did the seams turn out? Any close-up pics of the seams?

10. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Very nice[​IMG] I might try my hand at the cherry! I'll see if I can get it. That or the rosewood you have on the gr website. I am going to be glueing and cutting this weekend. The wood is all cut but I still got to cut the holes for the drivers and glue it together. I still have to make stands too.

11. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

Brian, Very Nice!! Now how do they sound. I'm thinking about getting a pair with the sonicaps. I sold the P1's but I got another pair of Focal tweeters and will be planning on getting another pair of P1's also with the new crossover upgrade.

12. Mel Silva

Mel Silva Agent

Brian, Awesome job. Mind telling me where you bought the NBL? This is the first time I've heard of it. An Internet search revealed a couple of sources at least. Just curious if you ordered it locally or had it shipped.

Thanks,
    Mel

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,
    Direct from the Tape-Ease website, $62.40 for a 4x8 sheet of cherry NBL veneer.
    http://www.tapeease.com/nblwood.htm
    Jeff,
    I'd say the seams are as close to invisible as you can expect from something as figured as this. The only thing that I've done that was completely seamless was oak with some wood filler in the crack. Fill the crack, let it dry and sand. You'd swear it was a solid piece of wood.
    I actually had a guy in the shop yesterday that had retired from Thomasville Furniture. He told me this after he completely inspected my T-1 towers and commented that he couldn't find any seams!
    Wendell,
    Yes, I saw that you sold them on Audiogon. Hope everything is OK?!
    Mel,
    I buy all my veneer from Tape-Ease. Follow the link above.

14. Damn you Brian! Looking at those AV-1's, I was ALMOST enspired enough to built a set of AV-3's....and then I came back to my apartment and realized I have no space for them. Well, I do, but they would be spaced too far apart.

15. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Brian;

Very sweet looking speakers.

I have worked with "Old Dad's" finish on a number of projects and it is fantastic stuff. Even I can make woodwork look professional. The problem is that the supplier here closed up a while back. Pn the good side, "Old Dad's" have indicated that they would ship to us, thank goodness.

Paul.