What's new

International Finally! A Decent Release of SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I heard about this film name from watching Tom & Jerry.

latest

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Waiting for the price to come down a little before I buy it. Recently bought Young Winston and The Go Between...both looking great.

Yes, it's a bit pricey. The exchange rate has rather inexplicably hit its highest rate in years, considering the Brexit situation. Might be wise to wait.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
In six month's time Amazon UK will sell that Network disc for half what they're asking now. The discs which do not come down hugely in price are BFI and Arrow.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
For those who have never seen this film and wonder what all the fuss is about, it is scheduled to be shown on TCM in March 2020.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, a favorite film is finally released on Blu-ray and you're balking at twenty pounds, which is, I believe, less than what Twilight Time would have charged? I bought it immediately - and here's the funny thing, oh, ye of little faith - as soon as I put it in my cart and pressed purchase the price was sixteen pounds, which is, as of today, twenty-one bucks. Everyone complains and moans that a favorite film is not on Blu-ray, they release it and then everyone doesn't mind waiting a year until the price comes down. Color me confused on a wet afternoon.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I bought it immediately - and here's the funny thing, oh, ye of little faith - as soon as I put it in my cart and pressed purchase the price was sixteen pounds, which is, as of today, twenty-one bucks.QUOTE]

I believe foreign orders from Amazon.uk are exempt from Britain's VAT tax which is why the price changed when you put it in your cart. Happens to me all the time.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In a bit of trivia, in her autobiography Shelley Winters says she had to turn down the leading role in Seance On A Wet Afternoon because of a prior commitment but recommended her friend Kim Stanley to Bryan Forbes. I like Winters but she wouldn't have been able to restrain herself in the role.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
TCM is broadcasting a rough looking print of the film this morning and noticed it has the Criterion logo at the beginning so a Criterion release might happen down the road? Ordered the Network Blu-ray a few weeks ago and it's on it's way.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I do have the Blu Ray and it looks fantastic!

Some of the reviews I read complained about the sound quality being way too low: "but the sound quality disappoints. the sound effects and music are loud and the speech is quiet – to the point of being inaudible at times" and "the audio quality is variable". How did it sound to your ears?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Some of the reviews I read complained about the sound quality being way too low: "but the sound quality disappoints. the sound effects and music are loud and the speech is quiet – to the point of being inaudible at times" and "the audio quality is variable". How did it sound to your ears?

As Ken Koc says, it's really terrific quality - I wasn't expecting it to look quite so good. And the sound is fine - absolutely nothing wrong with it, dialogue is clear and I would not trust what you're reading from other sites, frankly.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
As Ken Koc says, it's really terrific quality - I wasn't expecting it to look quite so good. And the sound is fine - absolutely nothing wrong with it, dialogue is clear and I would not trust what you're reading from other sites, frankly.
Yes, I have it as well. Looks gorgeous! The quality of light and the grey scale makes a suitable & tense parallel to the story. I haven't seen it in at least 45 years, and I forgot how restrained yet fiery Kim Stanley's performance is. It's an edge of your seat thriller, but what makes this stand out, especially these days, is that it's all character-based, and very subtle, while at the same time, really edge and tense.

If you're a NY Times subscriber, you can look up the original review and also see the original ads and read some of the quotes from the NY daily papers--there were a whole bunch back then--and see what a sensation this film was on its original release.

Also, quite unusual for Network Blus these days, some really excellent extras about the making of the film as well as a commentary. Unfortunately, Amazon UK isn't shipping Blu-rays to the US right now. But it's probably available from individual sellers on Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks