Final year project for college???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterOS, Sep 28, 2002.

1. PeterOS

PeterOS Extra

A question maybe for the serious DIY’ers or engineers. (A bit of a story but any help and I'ld be chuffed)

I have just started my final year for my degree in engineering here in Ireland. As a final year project, I was hoping to make a injection mould for a extendable flared port for a subwoofer. This was ok as a project but I had to give a reason for making it variable length. I was thinking that the port could be set at its proper length ( 11” for my tempest sub) and then could be varied a small bit to suit a room (like furniture, placement and size of room could interfere with actual output of the sub, I am not sure if changing the length would do much difference though?). I was hoping if some of ye people could answer this question for me.

Could some one point to a website where it shows the difference in varying the length of a port. I have downloaded one or 2 sub design programs, but are abit too complex, a simplier one would be handy.

It could even turn into a project about the angle and size of the flares at the ends, where I would have to research all shapes/sizes of flares and make the best one that can increase the sound and decrease the chance of air noise. Any other kind of ideas would be helpful iswell.

I want to do something in this line but no one really knows what I am talking about in college. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Peter,
    Have a look at the AES paper,
    "Maximizing Performance from Loudspeaker Ports"
    by:
    Alex Salvatti and Doug Button, JBL Professional
    Allan Devantier, Infinity systems
    Northridge, California
    Janne was kind enough to present me this paper when I sought information about flared ports, thanks Janne! I found it really informative, though I haven't had time to completely read it (and the listed references) from cover to cover. There might be some more papers on the subject.
    Good luck on your project [​IMG]
    Isaac
    PS:
    If you really want something interesting for your final year project, might I suggest a Finite-Element Analysis based listening room simulator. That would be so cool! [​IMG]