Final vote on Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by balwinder, Dec 13, 2001.

1. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Hi, Can you guys help me to make final decison on which subwoofer to buy, my budget is around $300. Here are few that I came across and feel free to suggest any other good ones. Polk audo PSW450, Sony SA-WM40, JBL PB12...

- Thanks

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I'm actually considering a sub myself in the same price range. interested in anyone's input?

*bump*

3. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Sony is probably the best value. You can probably pick one up online for around $150. PB12 is a good sounding sub but there are some reports of reliability problem with it. Go on audioreview to read all about it. I would stay away from it unless you live close to a service center and don't mind losing the sub for a month or so for repair. Don't know much about the Polk.

I was at the same boat a while ago but I have decided to save up and spend on a better sub. $450-$500 would get you a VTF-2, Rava or SVS CS + PE Amp.

Oh, one more thing, check out acoustic-vision.com if you care to get a sub built for you.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I think there's an easy kit for $250 at PartsExpress.com that is a sealed 10" sub that looks pretty decent. Otherwise, I'd go for the Sony sub or save up for Rava/VTF-2.

5. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

I wish I could find that 10" kit at PE for only $250!
    The closest thing is 12" and $350:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...15171&CATID=48
    I would love to have a 10" kit instead for $280 or so (small apartment dweller).
    Balwinder: DIY if you have the tools and space!
    (/me bitter because I live on the 11th floor and can't do woodworking!)

6. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Does Rava have a web site I can go and take a look at their subs

- Balwinder

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Balwinder,
    I know the Sony gets great price/value reviews and I'm certainly not going to knock it, but I got my Hsu VT-2 at Ebay for $398 from a factory authorized dealer with full warranty. Again, I haven't heard the Sony except in dealer showrooms, but I have been breaking in this sub for three days now and it sounds great. I know it's more money, but it may even top the Sony in price/value. I'm attaching a link which reviews both. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy, and that includes the Rava too.
    Link:http://www.cheaphometheater.com/subs.htm

9. darrin filer

darrin filer Auditioning

I've been running a Polk PSW450 for a few years now.

Best: (usually)

The LFE input on this sub is designed for a 'bass-only' signal and bypasses the sub's internal crossover circuitry. Using these inputs, the crossover frequency knob on the back will be bypassed.

OK:

The Left and Right RCA inputs are for use with receivers which output a 'full-range' signal to the subwoofer.

Bad:

The speaker terminals on the back of this sub are intended for use with receivers which don't have a pre-amp level subwoofer output.

It is usually cleaner to filter the signal prior to amplification. If your amplifier only sends bass via its subwoofer output, you will probably prefer the LFE input. Its easier to ensure that the subwoofer and main speaker crossovers are properly matched.

Oh, I almost forgot... you don't need a Y connector if using the full-range inputs. The sub doesn't have a dual channel amp or a dual-coil driver. It already contains its own internal equivalent to the Y connector. Feel free to use either the left or right if using these inputs.

10. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Part Number:
    300-630
    DLS 10" POWERED SUBWOOFER SYSTEM Finally, a powered subwoofer that is affordable and great sounding! Normally you would have to pay over $200 for a full-featured 10" Subwoofer with 100 Watts of power! Our #300-630 adds impact and realism to music and movie soundtracks with its tight thunderous bass!
    $99.80 EA
    I think this is what you are looking for.Parts Express
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15942&DID=7

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I own this DLS sub and have been very impressed with it- no modification needed as is needed with the Sony, better built than the Sony, goes lower than the Sony, maybe even a bit more spl when comparing a 10" to a 12" driver- not bad at all. Read the very log thread on it on this forum started by Steve. Buy two for $200 and you're saving a bunch of cash. Especially as an apartment dweller, I don't think you'll need more sub than this, but then again- you may be in a huge HT space, unlike me. Of course, I don't think it's a VTF-2 from what I've read or the Titanic from parts express, but for the money- it beats out the other subs you mentioned (in my opinion, of course).

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

By the way, the 10" Titanic kit is priced $348.80 (takes an hour or so to assemble) is part #300-739. I've heard pretty good things about this sub also and have seen it for less from time to time. It weighs 46 lbs.

13. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Haven't heard the others, but I'm very happy with my $150 Sony. If I had $400, I would have had more options. But you don't have many options under $200 and the Sony (modified easily with a bit of polyfill) does a nice job.

The DLS sub sounds like it is worth considering also.

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

As Guy and Jose mentioned, the DLS is definitly worth consideration. There is a 5-page thread running on this little Tiny Mighty.

Steve-nn also has this sub and is the owner of 2 Velo 15's. He has been, along with Jose, more than impressed with this 99.00 dollar little 10" power house. He, (Steve) also has compared it to the Sony-40, that has till just lately been touted as the price performace leader in the low dollar subs.

The DLS-10 is a better built, better looking, and better performing sub out of the box. Something you might want to take a serious look at.

If you can break the 350.00 mark or don't fear buying used, other subs could be better contenders for you.

If you looking for a low dollar good performer, I highly recomened you take a look at the running thread on it.

Titled: DLS-will it out gun the Sony-40 or something like that...

Good luck, & happy hunting

Geoff

Edit:

I see their out of stock and this rarely happens. I new that allot these would start moving once the word got out. Many have ordered it and are just not talking yet. I know of 3 people in my little town alone that picked it up just last week. Nobody has called me yet so I assume they have not received it yet. They all where on extremly tight budgets and after reading the latest mega thread made the move. PE is pretty good about getting things back in stock fairly quickly. A quick phone call will probley get you a lead time if your interested....

15. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Since I have been readind about it (DLS) I am going to get my computer one of em. . .

16. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

For $300 try to buy a used VTF-2

17. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Balwinder- I sent you a PM as I just discovered you sent me one two days ago- sorry about that. I didn't realize I had the PM inform option turned off. If you can, let me know if you received it, as I can't seem to access my sent PM box after sending one out and, therefore, have no way of telling if people are receiving them.

18. EricG

EricG Auditioning

I got an RCA SW-200p 1 year ago for $200- now its $150. At this price, I almost want to buy one for my Mom and Dad. My neighbors will testify it shakes walls. Great deep bass to 35 mhz. Remote included. I love it for movies and music both.

19. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Eric, if the Sony or DLS both go down as low as 26Hz (tested by others on this forum) and they both cost less- why would you spend more on the RCA? Just food for thought[​IMG]

20. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Stunt Coordinator

*BUMP*